Register now to get rid of these ads!

History traditional hot rod hood scoops?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sproadster30, Jul 27, 2017.

1. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Hi all, Looking for in for info (pics especially) on traditional hood scoops on hot rods. Thinking 50's style but even late 40's bonneville through 60's drag cars. Race cars, street cars, whatever...Specifically 33-34 fords. Anyone got any cool pics? (think Paul Reichlin's roadster, etc) Thanks!

2. These are kind of '50/'60s traditional. Not what you are interested in but its a start and back up to the top with ya.

[​IMG]

3. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Some good stuff. Any more? I wanna go fast..
    [​IMG]

Stogy, kiwijeff and putz like this.
  4. If you are going to make use to the scoop you better be going fast. LOL

Stogy likes this.
  5. Phil1934

Phil1934

Pontiac Superduty (which is big Ford truck). Steel ones on Ebay or VFN has glass ones

belair likes this.
  6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beaner I can't imagine someone letting two cars like a Jag and a Vette sit around outside and return to dust!

czuch likes this.
  7. Believe it or not that is common for old race cars. Usually if you find one its not in a well kept shop but out behind the shop just languishing away. I'd like to have the old vette.

xderelict likes this.
  8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too! And I'm not even a chevy guy! :D

9. I am not a vette person as a rule but that one is just cool.

smitron likes this.
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

13. AHotRod

AHotRod

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

16. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

Wow, Glenn, bitchin' stuff!

AHotRod likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a few on my office wall. The Super Duty Ford truck scoops are great looking but weren't offered until I think 1962? And the T-bird one would be '55, although a guy would have had to buy a whole hood to cut that out of there, hard to find even today. That skinny boomerang shaped one is the cowl vent from a '46 Nash car, it'd be easy to cut and stretch that out into a bolt-on hood scoop and it would still be period-possible for a late 40's style build if that's what you were going for. Every 46-48 Nash had one so they're not hard to find.

20170728_102033.jpg

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y-not . . They are just old cars. . . Obviously one was a race car and now useless to owner unless was his then it's unobtainium to you and me. If The Jag is aluminum ok but not who cars.... Just some purist who will whine about it.

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

had a rusty at the back edges '35 ford car hood, I cut the forward 15" off both tops...
    I trimmed, fit, trimmed and fit them, then welded them together to make a neat little hood scoop, the hood's design let It peak at the front... sorry it was pre- computer no pix...

20. I wanted a blower look on my '36 Willys but couldn't afford dressing the hemi with one. So I cast up a simulated 4-hole Hilborn injector and bought a real Hilborn scoop and made a fresh air scoop for my Holley 3-bbl. I admit it's a bit hokey but it gits 'er done! And it is a real live fresh air scoop!!

p1@ CHRR.jpeg

p1March_Meet_sunday_tim_166.jpg

PA070012.JPG

PA070013.JPG

PA070018.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  21. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Post 22 -

Really.......
    What happened to "real" hot rodding ? If it doesn't work/do anything...leave it on the shelf.
    Obviously...my opinion.

Mike

D-Russ and driverquality like this.
  22. cac646

cac646

23. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jon,

I believe Ford offered those scoops on their big trucks from 1957 to 1966. You would think that they're made of solid gold for what people are asking for them. I've been looking for one for a couple years but I haven't been able to line up with one in the condition I want or the price I'm willing to pay.

They are making some pretty nice looking fiberglass ones and if I could find one of the original grilles to put on one of the fiberglass scoops I would consider that.

Thor

24. I don't know how hard they are to find, or what kind of money the grill scoops go for,,, but

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/as-seen-on-tv.1070255/

Have a look there ^^^

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

I made it 25 years ago .... just like ones I saw back in the day which all were home made.

26. Squablow

Squablow

I knew there was a die-cast bolt-on scoop in '56 but I didn't realize the big trucks offered this style already in '57, that's a good tidbit to know.

A friend of mine called up a Ford parts department line like 10 or 15 years ago with the part number for the scoop and found out the factory had a bunch available yet and he bought them all, I saw a pile of NOS ones in his basement one time. He says he sells them off every once in a while, doesn't want to flood the market, but there were only a couple of grilles, apparently that's the hard part to find.

The one I have was cheap because someone used screws through the front to hold the grille on. I'll just leave it like that if I ever find a car to put it on. Couldn't pass it up.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I found one on an old gravel truck stuck way up in the bush. I gave it to a friend who promptly sold it. Shit eh?

28. sproadster30

sproadster30
    from Natick, Ma

sloppy jalopies, that's a great idea!