Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 350 Runs couple seconds aftyer key turned off

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PeggySue, Jul 8, 2017.

1. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

if it ain't hurting anything.... don't worry about it.

2. You need to have the 10 gauge wire feeding the relay at the 30 terminal and the temp switch going to the 86 terminal (assuming that it uses power to turn on the fan). If it uses ground to complete the circuit then it goes to either 85 or 86 and power to the other one.

3. sunbeam

sunbeam

Great catch

Montana1 likes this.
  4. Just turn the key off a few seconds earlier.

waynos likes this.
  5. PeggySue

PeggySue

Won't be in a hurry to fix now I know what's going on.

6. I'll give a hint for a couple of part numbers to make the wiring easy.
    Standard HP3815 for the relay holder with a bracket molded to it. Remove the center orange wire, because you won't be needing it.
    Standard RY116 relay. It's the common "ice cube" relay used in lighting kits.
    I will also advise that this combo will only carry enough amperage to run one fan. I learned this the hard way.

7. threewindow

threewindow

It;s the fan hooked through the ignition. Mine does that unless I turn the fan off first, then it dies instantly.

8. Crazy Lazy

Crazy Lazy

Thanks for this thread... I'm having this same problem.

9. PeggySue

PeggySue

That's what mine did when I tested it and found the problem. Thanks again for all the information.

10. Crazy Lazy

Crazy Lazy

My problem turned to be spark plug wires on distrib not in proper firing order.

11. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Back in the early 60's we tried a couple of approaches to this problem. One was to get it hot to where it would diesel if you shut it off. With the engine still running, we would drizzle water down the carburetor. Don't let it die! It was our belief that the cold water would contact the hot carbon in the cylinder and break off and get blown out the exhaust. Our second approach was to take it out on the highway and open it up. It may sputter a little but we thought this would blow the carbon out the exhaust. One of the two would always work.