Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Trio of T's (Plus One)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Jul 28, 2017.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

A Trio of T's (Plus One)

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Something about that Truckster catches my eye. Maybe it's that nailhead.

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-28_6-54-41.png upload_2017-7-28_6-54-52.png
    Hello,

Wow, as nice as that “T” bucket looks, in 1966-67, $7300 would buy several daily driver cars and/or almost a year of rent @ $140.00 per month for a two bedroom apartment on the beach. I think that “Truckster” was a bit overpriced for the times. Trying to capitalize on the Tommy Ivo / Norm Grabowski “T” craze and being in a magazine…

Jnaki

T buckets were popular back then. But, we would rather spend one year free in a cool apartment, watching sunsets daily. That was our thought back then. Besides, we did not have that kind of random money to spend on a real FAD “T.”

mctim64 likes this.
  4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

If money were no object..
    The Truckster for sure.
    Best styling and biggest engine.

The lightweight with the aluminum Olds would be a close second.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

$7300 INVESTED and prob over time too. back then as it is now, we tend to overspend over time and it adds up without realising that it did.

6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Take the motor from #3 and slap it into #1 and then we're talking.

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  7. silverdome

silverdome

Gotta go with the Dodge. Dare to be different.
    But I'd probably put MoPar running gear in it and sell the mouse motor to fund it.

8. SR100

SR100

Location plays a factor, too. The $1200 T in the midwest will cost a couple hundred to ship, plus paint/interior. Makes the '23 look a lot better (& replacing the '23s awkward rear suspension would give you something to make it your own). The Dodge is a show car, keeping up that chrome undercarriage will be a pain on a daily driver. I know that @ 16, Id've probably chosen the '21 unless my dad was around. Spindle-mounts & a nailhead would never get past 'the voice of reason'...

9. hendelec

hendelec

I love the $1200 T, it looks ready to race! 327 two 4s headers, slicks what more do you need? Garage paint job, cheap roll & pleated interior and a roll bar......look out drag strip here I come!!!!!! I had a 65' Chevelle SS in high school with a 350 hp 327, 4 speed and a 4:11 rear end. It was really strong. The T bucket probably weighs 2000 lbs less than the Chevelle, I bet that bucket would be a real handful and a whole lot of FUN!!!!!!!!!

10. guy1unico

guy1unico

Truckster...buy the best if you can always.

11. I would choose this one. Not a T, I know. But, I had a stock one in the driveway, and this build really appealed to me as a 14 year old.
    [​IMG]

J.Ukrop and deucemac like this.
  12. #3...'cause I'm cheap and it's in the midwest...in '66 I was on the west coast so a bus ride to the midwest and a drive back to Oregon in my brandy new T appeals to me at 18 years old. I'd take my buddy, Danny too.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Truckster was right up their with the serious high dollar hot rods in 1966. I though I was a high roller then making 2.75 an hour bucking rivets on 727 window panels at Boeing that summer.
    I remember reading those adds and dreaming about having one of the rods advertised in the back of the magazine then.

14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I'd choose this one. And did. 55 years ago. Still have it. Running at Bonneville again this year. Roadster.jpg

steinauge likes this.
  15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I reckon I would buy the 1200 dollar one.It is likely to be the fastest of the bunch and when I was 16 paint and interior didnt mean much to me and still doesnt.Besides ,when I was 16 if I had sold everything I owned and borrowed some too I might have come up with a grand to offer the guy.The others are out of the question.