Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What to use to make them stay together?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Thunder Road, Jul 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Hey ya’ll,

I have a need to bond two metal sleeves together- specifically a metal tube inserted inside an aluminum sleeve…ok, it’s the metal tube going into the fuel pump stand on my ’34 Ford flathead. I had to replace the stand. The parts are clean, dry and a very good slip-fit.

Anyway, what does the brain trust recommend to bond these two together? I’m aware of Hardening Permatex, but I have also heard of using a Loctite product, but I can’t remember the darn color Loctite to use.

I’m open to other suggestions..

What do ya’ll recommend?

2. Loctite green

big duece likes this.
  3. If you don't intend to ever take it apart, you could knurl the outside diameter of the "metal tube" that goes inside the aluminum sleeve. If you don't have access to a lathe, you could use a center punch to dimple the OD. This will create a sort of interference fit, but not so great that the two could not be pressed together.

4. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

5. Thunder Road

Thunder Road

Thank you guys- green Loctite it is.

6. The stud-set Loctite holds anything together. Even JB Weld would do the trick.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If there will ever be any intrusion of moisture into that joint you will experience galvanic corrosion.
    Steel in contact with aluminum will always give you that problem.