Register now to get rid of these ads!

Later drum brakes on '41 spindles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spyder, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Are there any low buck swaps to put later Ford drum brakes and hubs on early spindles? Poking around my garage it seems that my Mustang wheel bearings fit the 41 axle, makes me wonder if the whole hub works on there. Or something similar to an early Mustang. It's not really period, but it would be nice to have pretty good drums with a bolt pattern that fits cheap wheels.

I'm sure this has been covered many times, but I had little luck with a search.

It seems like 3/4 ID outside bearings and 1 1/4 ID inside bearings are common. I understand there are several other considerations to fitting.

I saw some trailer hubs this week too there had 3/4 and 1 1/4 bearings.

2. from what i understand it will work ,old henry wasn't one for changing things unnessecrily

3. A lot of people used to put '53-'56 F100 pickup front brakes on old Fords, pretty easy swap, gives you better brakes and the same bolt pattern. There's probably a how to article in the archives on this site.

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Just remember: The effectiveness of a drum brake relates to its diameter. Original Ford brakes were 12". Lincoln Zephyrs had 12" ( coupled with a better design that made them self energizing.) Buicks are 12". Ford F-1 and F100 are only 11" but since they're self energizing can afford to give up a little on diameter. But when you start looking at many other, later model drums you'll find them to be 9" and 10". To me that's regressive, marginal, and not worth the effort to adapt to your spindles.

5. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Speedway has a kit to adapt the F100 brakes to your spindles. pigpen

[​IMG]FORD F-100 BRAKE TO 1937-1948 SPINDLE BEARING CONVERSION KIT
    Price: $39.99 KT

6. If the answer was yes everyone with Fords from 1928 to 1948 would be using it. People use the reproduction Lincoln Brakes but these are not "low buck" Contact Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282, or Dave Wilton at (530) 872-0122. As others stated some people use 50's truck brakes but this is probably not a low buck approach. What is the whole story? I don't think the stock brakes are all that bad on a stock early Ford. What are you building? Are you having specific problems with your brakes?

Charlie Stephens

7. I'm in a parts collection phase right how. I got a 25 Dodge shell, a 41 Ford axle/spindles/bones/springs, and other parts. I have less than 1/2 the original brake parts. I'm planning on something like a T-bucket. This project is 2nd or 3rd in line behind other cars, It's going to be a while. Swap meet season starts up soon, I'm wondering what to look for. I'm sure you're right that everyone would be doing it, if there were good cheap swaps out there.

8. i know you can pre vented discs without any problem (other than your caliper mount), if you were to go to all hat trouble why not run discs?

9. jmccann1349

jmccann1349

I have a pile of 65-65 mustang front brake hubs and drums that I replaced with disk. I am building a T-Bucket for my grandson and want to use up these parts if possible. I have a set of 41 ford spindles and axle that I would like to use the 65-66 front brake hub and drum. Can't find anything
    about this conversion. This is for "old school look", and cheap for me.
    I am using a mustang rear axle and brake master cylinder compatible for this setup. Appreciate comments and help

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

I used the mustang hubs (free) Karas Kustoms spacers (about $120 I think) 57 T bird backing plates and drums (all freshly rebuilt $50 swap meet finds) and spacers from the Speedway disc brake kit (dont recall the cost). The backing plates had to have the mounting holes welded up and redrilled and the center hole enlarged. Ended up saving some money but it took a huge amount of time finding stuff to make it all if I had to do it again I would just buy a kit and be done with it. I have this thing about deciding I can do something on the cheap and I enjoy the challenge of figuring things out like this but in retrospect what a huge waste of time!

11. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Some of you guys spend a lot of time and money being cheap sometimes. :D

I paid $50 for an entire 53-56 F100 axle with good brakes and $40 for the Speedway adaptor kit. Can't recall what the hoses cost.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

48-56 pickup brakes are probably the least expensive, well performing option. Even if you have to rebuild the brakes, the parts are DIRT cheap and often on the shelf at NAPA. I installed all new wheel cyls, brake shoes, and hardware on all four wheels of my F1 for $140.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have them on my 34 PU. They work great. They didn't have web sites in the 50s when the first hotrodders figured this out.

14. Biothree

Biothree

I agree! Go to: http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/f100_brakes_for_early_fords.php

I used 53 F100 backing plates and the Speedway bearing kit. You have to radius the inner bearing. I used 66 F100 shoes and hardware which gives me self adjusting brakes on the front. I wanted good brakes as well as the traditional look. I have plenty of stopping power for my 2300 pound roadster.

15. I agree, a great swap and easy to do.

16. Butch1

Butch1
    from Upstate NY

I have a '64 Econoline front axle with 66 Mustang backing plates, shoes, hardware. Hubs/Drums are also 66 mustang. Spindles I don't know what they are, (sure would like to though) but they fit the Econoline axle and Mustang hubs. I put a Vacuum booster on and boy do they work great while giving it the "old school look.