Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shiney; Shimmering; satin paint; HOW???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jul 25, 2017.

1. atch

atch

I remember seeing a blue '59 or '60 Chevy on here. Also a red 2-dr sedan (Model A? 32? etc.?). These cars and others I've seen have a satin finish that's more than just rustoleum or base with no clear. They weren't metal flake, but were so satiny (is this a word?) that they sort of shimmered.

I don't know that I'll ever paint anything like that, but I've been wondering "how in the hack do they do that?"

I like the look and would like to see more examples. note: I've searched and searched and haven't found pix of either of these cars.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flat and semi gloss paints
    flat and semi gloss clears

3. redo32

redo32

Metallic basecoat with satin clear

4. kustomclassics

kustomclassics

Some people use clear with some flattening agent in it to get the desired gloss I used an activated base coat with no clear on this one.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Slopok

Slopok

Quite possibly Pearls, they have a satiny appearance.

6. atch

atch

Perhaps. But what I remember is that they weren't just base with no clear or semi gloss paint. These cars were almost shiny they were so satiny.

b-t-w; Clarence was black basecoat with no clear for several years and that's not what I'm talking about.

Anyone remember either of these cars? Anyone have pix? I'd really like to see them again.

7. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

The clear coat get a flattening agent. The clear goes on shiny and dries flat, semi-gloss, satin depending on how much flattening agent is added to the clear coat. Same applies to single stage. you can have a flat metallic if you like.

The clear can be polished back to shiny too.

john worden likes this.
  8. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I was asked to respond to this, and actually is a phone call a lot of paint stores call me about every single day. Matte finish, satin egg shell.
    So first off 90% of the world's population according to me, can not tell the difference in matte, satin or eggshell. The best reference is the big box stores color swatch selection. This will actually give you a reference of what you are going for. Look at all 3 in terms of sheen.
    Most of what people are looking for is eggshell or satin. Matte is too flat because it will give your color too much of a gray cast.
    So to the orginal question it is definitely the satin finish. The next question is how you want to spray it... Single stage or base clear. If you are 2 toning or doing artwork base clear with a satin clear is the way to go. However matte clear (which can do satin with a different activator ratio) are extremely hard to spray. They are real fast and they do not flow and level like a typical clear does. Motorcycle parts are great but a all over car paint job can be extremely difficult.
    Single stage is my preferred way. But there is a trick to not making your hood and roof look tiger striped, and that is over reducing the paint with a extremely slow solvent like ppg dr898, matrix mr0898 or anything that has a decent amount of ethyl benzene (eb) in the solvent.
    If you want a metallic satin finish either do base clear or at least make sure the metallic flake it's self is a acid resistant flake. (very few auto paint companies use acid resistant metallic) this helps prevent bird droppings from staining the paint. Alot of times it's not the paint that stains, it the flake itself.
    Hope this helps, sorry haven't been on much lately my small territory has now expanded from Virginia to Mississippi.

9. atch

atch

Anyone got pix of a satin painted car or bike that you can post here?

10. Wayne Kiemig gets that effect using pearls. I have seen him make gloss paint look frosty by using a ton of pearl in a clear coat. His take on using gloss paint is that it is easier to keep clean. But he told me that you can get a real frosty almost like it is covered in morning dew using pearls in satin paint.

11. Jeff Myers @finkd painted McPhail's Chevy that way. He calls it "glow suede".

67723752MCPHAIL4-vi.jpg
    43311P32901092-vi.jpg

jeffd1988 and flatheadpete like this.
  12. On my Aquamino I just used Base Coat with no clear.
    Since Photobucket went goofy I don't know how to attach pictures, if you google Images for 59 Aquamino it comes up.

The base color had some micro flake in it.
    I was worried about base coat only, but it has survived surprisingly well over several years of outside use with no change.

I may have figured out the picture thing, this is from Drag Week 17
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. To Beaner's comment, I tried to add pearl to the base only and it just went cloudy and did nothing. The pearl only works suspended in clear.

However in my test panels, the straight base turned out pretty good so that is what I went with.

To clarify using the base only was supposed to be a temorary thing, but like most things I never got around to body work and real paint.