Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S10 rear end information needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TVC, Jul 26, 2017.

1. TVC

TVC

We found a decent two wheel drive Chevy S10 rear end for the project car, good price and good condition except that the big fat collar/balancer that's comes fitted to the pinion yoke is twisted out of alignment. It's no longer parallel with the yoke base or flange. When you rotate the pinion it wobbles.

It's not loose at all, still on there nice and tight, just shifted off it axis like it might have been dropped and can't be moved back into true.

This is a pic of the pinion yoke and "collar" that I'm talking about.

http://www.provenforce.com/Pinion_Yokes/pinion_yoke_images/gm7_5_3R04-04.jpg

Would anyone know if pinion yoke from a Camaro or other GM car would work in it's place. The Camaro doesn't have the collar/balancer on it and is MUCH cheaper than a stock replacement for the S10.

This is the yoke that I'm hoping will fit and be a good replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pinion-GM-C...ash=item2389d6d075:g:vWAAAOSwqYBWpjWv&vxp=mtr

Any help at all would be very much appreciated. The rear end is next on the list but we need to figure this out first. It would be nice to keep up the momentum that we've developed over the last two months.

Thank you—

2. Jibs

Jibs

Why not just ask the guy selling it? The ebay ad says it fit S-10's.

3. Since the same basic rearend was used in Camaro, my guess is it should be able to swap. But why not call the company that makes the new one and ask them if same spline count and size between the two? If you do swap, you will need to be cautious of the torque on the pinion nut, as that affects the bearings and gear wear pattern if too loose or too tight.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Seems S10 rear ends are so available, I'd just keep looking. If that's not the case where you are, I'd get the OEM piece.

ekimneirbo and Jalopy Joker like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

might even be temped to just cut the weight off of there....

Atwater Mike and Hnstray like this.
  6. clays diff

clays diff

what you have is a late S10 rear end it is a 8.5 with 28 spline axles for as for the yoke any 8.5 yoke will work with the rite pinion seal i just did one in the shop in a 1940 chev last week and used a nova 8.5 yoke to use a 1310 u joint

Clay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

7. TVC

TVC

Thanks gang ! Lotsa of good info, just what I needed.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's not a 'balancer'...it is a 'harmonic dampener'.......tuned for the characteristics of the specific vehicle it is installed in. Any yoke that is correct fit, but without the dampener ring, will be just fine.

Ray

9. TVC

TVC

Thank you Ray ! As the rear end is going into a much different/older/smaller car than the S10 I'll pick up a yoke meant for a passenger car of around the same weight as this project and it ought to be OK. It's really neat how the parts and pieces from the various GM makes and models interchange so well, I'm used to Fords which usually aren't quite as cooperative.

squirrel likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This is why the Tri-5 Chevy outlasted the Tri-5 Ford.
    Chevrolet parts are certainly interchangeable. In fact, the engines and trannies even seem to 'interchange' with Fords!
    ...That is to say, they fit Fords. There are more Chevys in Fords than Fords in Chevys...:D

Moedog07 and Hnstray like this.
  11. TVC

TVC

I'm having a bit of a go-around with the 298 currently being fitted into the MGA. Between the engine plate, multiple water pump changes through the years and corresponding timing covers, I'm fed up to "here." Add in the different distributors/drive gears and it's pretty insane. A whole bunch of variants but, for the most part, the don't interchange. Makes it almost impossible to up-grade an early SBF with parts from a later model. Not at ALL like what Chevy did.

Funny thing though, I LOVE the Ford Windsor engine in spite of it all ! Goes back to a friend's Tiger.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Squirrel what's up man, how have you been? I know this is an older thread but I just picked up an S10 rear with the balancer for my shoebox. Can this thing be cut off or should I replace the yoke?

13. squirrel

squirrel

can you post a picture? the previous picture disappeared?

14. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Why would you want to cut it off ? Is it hitting something ? It may work just fine without it, but GM must have felt that it helped dampen vibrations. If there is room for it to stay there, I'd leave it there.:)

Moedog07 likes this.