Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest MUST READ CAR SHOW ETIQUETTE GREAT TIPS :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flattandscruggs1, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Definitely a rule that should be adapted to modern fashion trends!

Clay Belt, 31hotrodguy and els like this.
  2. I see my share at cruise night, I guess some people have nothing to do or the WIFE wants to see the cars, or checks out the guys maybe? Some of them talk a better game than their SO. One lady identified my car as a Custom 300, got it down to the model. The husband who was handling the stroller asks me if the body is fiberglass or steel.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I hate hard line rules that alienate everyone. The implied rules are enough. Most guys that are crying "etiquette" are the ones that miss the mark socially. They save spots with chairs, jump on people for not knowing where they are supposed to park, etc. The guys that line up at 4:30 am to get the best spot and then bitch when someone gets there late and makes a good spot for themselves. It just sounds like bitching and complaining and I fucking hate it.

I so rarely get to go to shows lately so I'll go to anything if I can. Recently I was parked next to some dude with a glass 33. Awful graphics, stupid everything. But I was nice to him and shot the shit, even answered some questions. Then a kid came along and propped up on his toes to peek inside. The guy actually yelled at him to get back, "you're not supposed to touch the cars", and proceeded to lecture the dad. I lost all respect for that guy. Asked the kid if he wanted to sit in a real hot rod. Fired it up for him. He left smiling. Mr. donottouch was all offended. Whatever dude, bring your tupperware back to the kitchen.

4. j3harleys

j3harleys

Me to I always let people sit in cars especially kids. What could they do to it that I have not already done. It was built to be enjoyed.

5. I do the same thing, I know they get a thrill over it. I just tell them not to touch the ejection seat button which is disguised as the choke knob.

CADILLAC AL, Jet96, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When asked"What's it worth?" Or " How much did it cost?"or any of the other invasive personal questions my go to answer is always ;
    "If I tell you I have to kill you" only the really challenged don't get it. ;):rolleyes:

7. models916

models916

I'm guessing you've never been to Chicago. You don't comment on anybody's car here. Just look and be nice. Everybody is pack'n heat and not afraid to use it.

Clay Belt, Spoggie, els and 1 other person like this.
  8. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

I comment everything everywhere.

els, tb33anda3rd and clunker like this.
  9. You may get your ass kicked in NY saying the wrong thing to the wrong person and there would not be a single witness in your favor.

gimpyshotrods, els and Steffen Jobst like this.
  10. Dreddy,
    Other than to Tejanos I am pretty much considered to be socially unacceptable. ;)

I hear ya friend, too many people don't really own cars. Cars are pretty much people proof. It would probably bother me of someone's kid poured his soft drink in my car or they put their brogans all over a painted surface of my vehicle. But in general a hand print or two or a kid wanting to see more is really not a problem it is a testament to how cool my car really is. ;)

racer-x, Jet96, wicarnut and 5 others like this.

11. Dieser Film war toll! Ich dachte, dass die Deutschen keinen Sinn für Humor hatten? Deine Tochter ist süß. Ich wünschte, ich könnte Deutsch sprechen.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els and Steffen Jobst like this.
    els, bobss396 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  13. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

You see - you can have fun on a car show - you just need the right attitude!

els and clunker like this.
  14. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

car shows.......lol

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The biggest issue I have is when people will literally lay/step on the car to take pictures. Orca-Betties think that the middle of a show or gathering is their own personal glamour shoot and this car just happens to be here as their prop. I'm embarrassed for the misguided female wandering the show in lingerie with a photographer in tow. I've literally had women with high heel shoes on putting their feet up on my front valence (without my knowledge or permission) and had to chase people off who have literally sat on my fender to take glamour shots. Even a 110 lb girl with a bony ass will put a woop in a straight fender. The Brooklyn Rumblers show was absolutely the worst for this. I get it, cars are meant to be driven and used and they're going to get nicked up from time to time. But I don't need individuals speeding the process up for me

Clay Belt, kmrumedy, i.rant and 2 others like this.
  16. wicarnut

wicarnut

I do not and have not owned any high dollar "perfect rides" so I think differently than some here, when a kid is looking at one of my car's at a show/cruise respectfully I usually will ask if he or she would like to sit in it, Mom/Dad take a pic or two, big smiles for everyone and maybe a future Rodder is born. I remember when I was a kid and when an adult showed some kindness, IT IS remembered. Sadly, today, courtesy and respect has faded and some parents do not watch their kids, so when a kid is touching car, rather than scream at the kid, talk to parent and explain to them about the no touch rule at car shows, some people have no clue what is car show etiquette including fellow rodders that love to rap a few times on fiberglass cars and make a negative comment to you about it, this type of idiot I have no words for. Another gripe I have as long I'm typing, when a younger man brings his "Tuner Car" to show/cruise, most guys including some of my friends start bitchin and disrespect the kid and his Pride and Joy. Something a very wise woman (MOM)told me " Be Nice to people, it does not cost anything " another pearl " JR (me) Always remember, There are many more Horse's Ass's Than there are Horse's" Sometimes reading here, it makes me think about her and for that I Thank some of you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    CADILLAC AL, wraymen, clunker and 4 others like this.
  17. samdjr74

samdjr74

And to add to this, use common sense when putting your chairs out. At a local cruise night I go to, there's a group of people who set up 10+ chairs that go well into the driving area, blocking cars from getting by. And they won't move, they just yell at you not to hit them. If I wasn't such a nice guy, I might turn them into hood ornaments!

els likes this.
  18. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I was at a paid admission, annual car show here a few years ago and I stopped to look at a nice roadster, I was about to ask the owner a question, when I noticed he was sitting on the edge of his chair and red faced, appeared to be drunk and mouthing what sounded like" if you touch my f------ car I'll...... anyway I've noticed that some guys think it would be easy to kick some 70 year olds ass, now ,I'm not sayin it couldn't be done, I'm just sayin it wouldn't be easy. You people that let others sit in your cars, endure all the lame questions and comments are my heroes, not some Richard with an over restored ridiculous piece that he brought to the show so he can be in some kind of beef with the world.

wraymen, mad mikey, clunker and 3 others like this.
  19. I am sometimes amazed at the cars you see well guarded and the ones that are not. I was at a show a few years back where there was a guy with a beautiful showroom condition (and fully documented) Shelby 500, black and gold. He didn't seem to care who sat in it just asked people to be careful with their soft drinks and belt buckles. I think that while I was talking to him 20 kids got in and made car noises. Seemed to take it all in stride, about 2 cars down was a hot dog stand colored '70s style Firebird that the guy was a real Richard Cranium about his car and how close anyone got to it. I asked him about it and he just said, "Hell Benno you should have seen this piece of shit when I got it."

Takes all kinds to show cars I suppose and all kinds of idiots ( me included) to get under their skin.

By the way I am going to be at the HAMB Drags in a couple of weeks and all bets are off. If you see me in your car just be aware it is not out of disrespect at all and I probably won't hurt it much. ;) please leave starting instructions on the dash. :D :D :D

wicarnut and els like this.
  20. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Years ago at the car show in Steamboat Springs,I had my 1955 Chrysler Carrera contraption there, one of the officials I won't name (Charlie Clark) was a real jokester and when I wasen't looking, he worked the throttle linkage on my 2x4's until they were empty, he then said his buddy wanted to hear my motor and asked me to start it, parked next to me was a Pantera, with all the stuff, a giant wing etc. my exhaust pipes exit thru the body about a foot off the ground, the guy was sitting in his Pantera with the door open, when the Chrysler fired there was a loud bang, about a foot of flame and enough black smoke to completely fill and cover his car, fortunately he had a sense of humor, when his hearing finally returned.

21. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

That's funny

els likes this.
  22. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

I have 4 yr old , and being a parent, there s nothing better than putting huge smile on any kids face.
    Good for all of you guys that open your doors for kids

23. kmrumedy

kmrumedy

"Orca-Betties". Bwhahahhahahahahaa! That is funny right there.

Is that their official car show title?

CADILLAC AL, haileyp1014 and els like this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be attending the annual Concours of America next weekend. I sincerely hope I have nothing but happy event coverage.

els likes this.
  25. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

image.jpeg Please ban these the doll's that are at shows.must be shit some guys wives make and make them put on their car

Cosmo49, warbird1, els and 3 others like this.
  26. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^I've never understood this crying doll "thing". It doesn't make any sense, and frankly, it is really creepy.^^^

TagMan, els, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cannot stand judgemental old jerks who go to car shows and pass judgement on people there, in a desperate attempt to feel better about themselves (and then deny it when you call them out).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    1929rats, els, wraymen and 1 other person like this.
  28. Dave B.

Dave B.

Really? It’s a piece of paper! Unless it’s a judged show where the flyer might obscure some part of the car’s interior, I can’t see the harm in leaving one side window cracked for flyers. At least that keeps the ‘uninformed’ flyer-passers from sticking their papers under your windshield wiper or in your door handle!

I don’t want to open another can of worms here, but… the question that can really get me going is: “Wot’ll ya take for it?” I get this a lot, but since the car in question here isn’t HAMB-friendly; I won’t go any further, other than to say that I learned long ago not to price anything that I’m not ready to let loose of. This bit of education happened years ago – and not even at a car show. I was talking with some friends in a parking lot when a self-important doofus butted in and asked me what I’d sell my car for. I quoted a figure about three-times what it was worth, and he said: “Well, I’ll have to think about it…”

So, my stock answer is: “It’s not for sale.” This takes care of most situations, but there are guys who just don’t get it and follow up with something like: “No, really, man – what would it take to buy it?” About this time, I generally switch to ‘rude mode’ and get short with them – usually something like: “Did you see a ‘For Sale’ sign? If not, you just answered your own question.” For the life of me, I can’t figure out what makes them ear-dead. I’ve had a few guys handle the first answer gracefully by giving me their phone number, but most of them just act bewildered.

Final note... the commenters above who have said "just have a good time" really understand the best reason to go to a car show or cruise-in. Enjoy the sunshine, meet new people and DRIVE your car!

els and i.rant like this.
  29. Haileyp.I got mine at a car show and just stuck him in the shop{as you can tell by the paint on him} I had to cut his arms apart so I could wash his clothes he was so dirty. I now use him on the front porch in a rocking chair at night to keep the raccoons and opossoms out of the bird feeders. It scares them too. LOL. Bruce. 001.JPG

els likes this.
  30. Dave B. When I 1st moved here to East T.N. some 21 years ago. When I saw a nice old car sitting in a farmers yard. I stopped and knocked on the door and asked if the car was for sale and how much did he want for it.He yelled back at me Do you see a fuckin for sale sign on it????{really scared the crap out of me}Now after 21 years here I just try and blend in and never stop unless I see a for sale sign on it. LOL. Bruce.

els, pat59 and bobss396 like this.