Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cant Remember title of book

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Godzilla, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Godzilla

Godzilla

In about 1965 I was at the local library and I happened across a book about a boy about high school age who wanted to build a custom car. There was this new kid in school and he had a really cool car (it had a hand of poker on the trunk - car club where he came from). Anyway, these guys did not hit it off - I think there was a girl involved. So as I remember he got his car built and in some car show and the other kit ended up getting hit by a train (again, as I recall).

It is not "boy get car" as I recall it...I think his car was a 40 ford...I don't know - thats why I would like to read it again. It was very entertaining. Thanks for any help you can offer. Zilla

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. williebill

williebill

Believe it's a Henry Gregor Felsen book, but don't know which one. He wrote several books that were about kids and cars.

3. topher5150

topher5150

what is "book"?

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Henry Gregor Felsen. Street Rod was the title

Henry Gregor Felsen, 1916-1995, and author of some three dozen books, is best known for his six books about teens and their cars, written in the 1950's. He so captured the era, and the relationship of teens and their cars, that he earned the nickname, "The Granddaddy of Street Rodding." There was a time when a boy could scrape together a small amount of money and buy a car that would run. He could use his own imagination and ingenuity to create a street rod that others would envy. Ricky Madison is that boy in Street Rod. In this timeless coming of age story, Ricky goes against his parents to buy a car, enabling him to be part of the group. "Scooping the loop", wild driving, and pranking others gets him in trouble with the adults in town. Ricky and his dad come up with a way for teens to be respected as responsible drivers, but encounters problems along the way. Ricky has an idea that might redeem him in the eyes of the town and his friends. Felsen's descriptions of cars, driving, and teen behavior are a precious time capsule to what we now think was a simpler time. Once the recipient of an award at a librarians' conference for having his books stolen more than any other author, you'll understand why so many never returned "Street Rod." Hot Rod, Street Rod, Rag Top, Fever Heat, Crash Club, and Road Rocket (Boy Gets Car) sold millions of copies, and are still sought after by Felsen's fans. Original copies are hard to find, and can cost more money than you can imagine. The family owns the copyrights and has been responding to the urging of his readers, who now want to have their children and grandchildren read these books. More information about Henry Gregor Felsen can be found at www.HenryGregorFelsen.com.

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Look at that... just a couple of hours and not only do we know the title but the history and synopsis of the story/series.
    The magic of the HAMB!

The37Kid, Hot Rod Nut and Just Gary like this.
  6. I believe the book you are referring to is Road Rocket. HRP

7. Godzilla

Godzilla

I just bought them both - there may have been another one - it was about building a custom car. Thanks for your help!!! Zilla

8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

In the book street rod, the main character is Ricky Madison, he buys a ratty 39 ford coupe from an old mechanic in town. who helps him rebuild the engine etc. Ricky dreams of the classic black painted hot rod. His girlfriend talks him into building a model of it in pink with copper trim. He likes the look, does the real car that way and wins the local car show. on the way home she falls asleep in the passenger seat and he pushes the car faster and faster until he goes off the road and lands in the river (maybe lake) ....... been a long time since I read it but is this the story?

timelord and ClarkH like this.
  9. Mac VP

Mac VP

Wow.....I remember this story. Particularly the part about painting it pink. I must've been about 11 or 12 when I read it, and I recall thinking "I'd NEVER let any girl talk me into painting my car pink!" Then or now.

kiwijeff and Moriarity like this.
  10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a lake. That book haunted me. Read it in middle school, loved, it, but when I got to the end I discoverd the last two pages had been ripped out--some officious teacher or librarian wanted to spare their little snowflakes the pain of the main characters dying abruptly at the end. I evenually tracked the ending down in the public library, and have always hated the simpering busybody who ruined it for me.

kiwijeff and Moriarity like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I think that's the story...Ricky and Sharon went off the road at the suspended bridge, as I recall...the car gained some altitude as it left terra firma, and did a near perfect nose dive into the drink.
    "Ricky and Sharon's heads met in a bone-splintering crunch as the car crashed into the water, the gold wheels turning as it went under...
    "Link Adler pushed his big GMC 6 harder as he crossed the bridge, unaware they had crashed into the lake.
    He had to catch them......."

Link Adler was the star of 'Ragtop'. Somehow, Henry Gregor Felsen got the spelling of Link's last name turned around in the story, (it was 'Adler' in 'Hot Rod' and 'Street Rod', but in 'Ragtop', it was 'Alder'!)
    I was dismayed at this, as I just bought 'Ragtop' at the book store 2 months ago...Finally was gonna read it!
    Link's '41 Chevy convertible had a hopped-up 270 Jimmie in it. The book 'Ragtop' tells the story from HIS side...Rather cool...

I was a Ford guy when we were starting out, (I had my '36 Three window at age 13, in 1955. My bud Eddie Burkehouse bought a '41 Chevy Coupe. Our folks let us buy cars to hot rod, to keep us out of trouble. Ha.
    I was reading 'Hot Rod' and 'Street Rod', Eddie had 'Ragtop'! I told him Link was a LEAK, but he wouldn't hear of it. LOL) Henry's books were 'words to live by'!
    Following Bud Crane's cool persona, I had a lineup of fenderless roadsters, coupes, and sedans...ALL Fords.
    But I never attempted to make "Trenton in 30 minutes!" ...Not from where I lived...Bay Area, CA.! :D

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Well ...now the end of the story has been spoiled!

stanlow69 likes this.
  13. I bought the 6 book set, the box was signed by Felsen.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sancho, bobss396 and Speed~On like this.
  15. Me too, at the Holland KKOA, although I read them originally
    When they were new in the library. My set will go to my only Grandson one day.

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

Mark, you never dissapoint!

Moriarity likes this.
  17. I got mine on eBay, only the outer box was signed.