Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods K&N Oil Filters Are Junk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gman0046, Jul 22, 2017.

1. I have a special 1" socket that I use on my rattle gun to install oil filters with. If I don't have any air in the compressor, a 24" cheater bar works well too. I have NEVER had an oil filter unscrew itself.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been using them on all vehicles that will accept them in my fleet, and on every single customer vehicle, since they came out.

I am easily over 200 filters. Zero issues.

If you cannot take it off with two hands, "someone" put it on too tight.

49ratfink, Cosmo49, 117harv and 7 others like this.
  3. When my brother was in the fixing cars biz... that was his only filter wrench. The biggest ones he could find, fit everything.

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The filter itself may be fine, so calling them "junk" seems unfair. But that goofy "nut" shaped thing on the bottom is a pain. I used a couple of these, and they made things more difficult. Where mine is (SBC + 700R4), and with the exhaust pipe where it is, there's no room for any sort of strap wrench or pliers. A cup wrench on a socket extension fits, but not with that nut thing in the way. Had to remove the transmission inspection cover to get enough clearance to remove it. Went back to using M1 filters.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

I haven't had any problems with them. I've been getting them on sale with a jug of synthetic oil combo that is cheaper than buying the oil all by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. mr68gts

mr68gts
    from Arizona

Never had a problem with their oil filters but Ive never used the nut either. Always a band or strap wrench and never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Finn Jensen likes this.
  7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sounds like "operator error". Always just hand tighten.

Gasser 57, Lil32, Nitroholic and 7 others like this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the problem here is the installer needs to be a little more intelligent than the oil filter.

Lil32, rmcroadster, hotroddon and 9 others like this.
  9. Like I've been saying for years, you can't teach touch. I put oil on the seal and snug up the filter. Everyone's idea of snug is different I guess. The K&N filters are fine as long as you install them correctly. For removal buy a 1" 6 point socket, and it's a piece of cake.

nunattax, slowmotion and BigDogSS like this.
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

For the discerning oil filter installer ;)

Capture.JPG

11. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

Stating the obvious but you can use a standard Oil Filter wrench on these, I have had zero issues with the Oild Filter and Air Filters and have run a bunch of them. Quality Products....

12. Yep. The air filters are just a gauze filter. I don't remember where I was reading it, a catalog speed shop maybe, but they recommended using a foam pre filter when using a K&N. LOL

I don'[t have any modern filter wrenches, I still use the old standby that you slide over the filter and it tightens as you pull on it

GW_190_FRNT_MAIN.jpg

But I can understand the frustration. I tried a wrench on an oil filter ( non-K&N) once that had a nut shaped bottom and ended up using a filter wrench on it anyway.

Lil32 likes this.
  13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

After you've destroyed the nut...after you've destroyed the ridges on the side...after your screwdriver pounded through its heart has ripped all the tin to shreds....
    [​IMG]

Then something like this will probably actually save you. I actually have a forged factory made one that KD offered long ago that has never failed, as it goes into the strongest part of the filter and works at a good angle. I could not find a picture of the KD one so I stole this crude but workable one online.
    After you defeat the damn thing, two rules:
    1. Learn to put on your own filters properly and HAND TIGHT.
    2. Never help anyone who knows less than you do to remove his filter...he probably put it on with the filter wrench, and tightened that until his fingers hurt. Just so it wouldn't leak or fall off, of course.
    What you thought would take 30 seconds to help a pal is going to run you through all the pics in this thread one by one and take the entire weekend...

Lil32, 6inarow, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  14. SLCK64

SLCK64

I think most oil filters are "screw on until gasket touches, then 1.5 turns more". Definitely oil that gasket before install too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Lil32 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  15. blackanblue

blackanblue

I use wix oil filters ever since buddy that runs a performance shop here told me he allways used K@N till he did a oil and filter change in his wifes ot car at the factory interval, and found the filter dry,,,the bypass was stuck so no filtering during that period, not good.

Tman likes this.
  16. I never use a wrench when I tighten an oil filter and I have had them tighten up beyond belief. LOL
    I'll never understand it. How can I run a filter on by had and have to use a wrench to remove it. :confused:

Lil32, Tman and egads like this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

Alcohol helps tighten things sometimes!:rolleyes::p

6inarow and czuch like this.
  18. Roadsterholic

Roadsterholic

Porknbeaner, yea man that works on the K & N filters too, now where's my left handed monkey wrench....

19. Don't blame the Filter because some moron over tightened it!
    It's not K & N's fault that some gorilla ham fisted it.
    I've used their oil filters for a long time and the quality seems to be better than most. They have a High Efficiency ratio (amount of flow) while maintaining excellent filtration levels.
    As for their Air filters, More Off Road Races have been won using K&N than all other air filters combined. They were all I used on my Ford Truck when I won my Class 7S Championship.

Lil32, Nitroholic, jimmy six and 3 others like this.
  20. SLCK64

SLCK64

Im sure someone, somewhere can answer that question, a scientist type. Ive had both scenarios where I gotta put the wrench/cup on it and other times where its no tighter than when I replaced it before, hand tight.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. I am pretty fair at physics and no doubt there is a reason why they tighten up that is explainable using those principles. its just more fun to ponder it I think than to know the reason why. :D

SLCK64 likes this.
  22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you know that Channel-locks will work really well on that "round nut"? I've only had one issue with getting an oil filter off, and that was because my wife took her O/T to a speedy oil change place once when I was out of town on a business trip. When her odometer hits the mileage for a recommended oil change, she thinks the car will explode if you don't immediately change it, hence the trip to SpeedOil. I did manage to get the filter off without doing too much surgery, but it was obvious that it had been screwed on until the filter contacted the base, and then given an additional seven full turns.

upspirate and nunattax like this.
  23. badvolvo

badvolvo

Guess that is better than when my wife took her subaru to subaru for the free oil changes for life.
    trip 1, left filter loose, was almost out of oil when she got home, about 25 miles.
    trip 2, changed the filter without removing the lower panel that covers it. It leaked out oil for a week, checked it out, filter was loose again.
    Trip 3, in my garage, no issues.
    Trip 4, no more cover, i pitched that bitch. Now easy oil changes, smallest filter I have ever seen.

24. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Odd.....I've installed lots of oil filters in the last 45 years and never had any trouble getting them off again.

25. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Way back in the day over 40 yrs ago, don't remember who put the filter on or how, I ran into the same problem after following the same steps and wound up making a similar tool from junk scraps. Piece of flat stock with a couple pins and an extended T handle welded on, crudely built in a hurry but worked just fine. Still buried in my stash of home built tools some where as a cheap insurance policy which has paid off just as well, haven't needed it since that one time.

Just installed a K&N on an OT LSR engine for the convenience of the hole in the nut for safety wiring the filter per LTA requirement 3.Y. Primed, hand tightened, and checked well for leaks. Unless I have troubles with 'em I'll continue to use the K&N's.

Again years ago I had a Lee start leaking at the rolled seam on the base end right after hand installation on my DD van, had never happened before or has since with any brand. Used the Lee filters for quite awhile after with no issues.

Ed

26. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is why I do my own oil changes. I have to be in a spot to let some oil change joint do it for me, unfortunately I was up until a little while ago, stuck without a place to do the oil change myself on my DD. The only filters I use are Motorcraft and AC Delco, I don't have any high volume oil pumps so the filters designed for the engines is what I go with. I had the oil changed a couple months ago, I have about 800 miles left, I'm not looking forward to taking the damned filter off. But what gets me more is the oil drain plug is put on by the same idiot that puts on the filter. :mad:

upspirate likes this.
  27. mohead1

mohead1

Ive used the competition K&N filter on my hot rodded smallblock and never had an issue. That nut is marketing ploy and doesnt work for shite, use an oil filter wrench like any regular mechanic would do....if u bought it for the "nut" then ur a "nut"....only thing it is good for is the hole for safety wire use

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just drive a long screw driver through the filter it gives you a two handed wrench - just twist - works good - Ha!

Lil32 likes this.
  29. finn

finn

Ford had a similar problem with the plastic oil fill cap in the late eighties.

The cap lad a square cut elastomeric sealing ring that would swell slightly with heat and oil exposure as the engine ran. So much so that the oil fill cap was almost impossible to remove.

The fix was to go from a square cut cross section seal to a tapered faced lathe cut seal.

Cost zero, and no more removal issues, and it still sealed.

30. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Thankfully, I sold my stock in K&N before the Wall Street gurus saw this thread!