Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55-57 Chevy question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jul 23, 2017.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Is it possible to turn a 55-57 Chevy 2 door post into a hardtop? If so, what all is involved? Anyone done it? Pics?
    Thanks

2. That would be very difficult If you wanted it to look factory. Easy if you simply cut out the window frame on the door and the center post.

daniel wilson likes this.
  3. You would need a roof, inner quarters, and a pair of doors to start. Entire bodies are available, so it can be done. $15000 gets a complete 2drht body from Woodys. Add 1000 for a brand new set of doors. Now it's a clean slate, so you can get to work buying all the window regulators, glass, channels, headliner bows, window garnishes, door panels and other associated ht specific parts.
    Scott, more trouble than it's worth IMHO.
    [​IMG]

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

You can make anything you want , if you have metal working skills or a deep enough pocket to pay someone to do it for you.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lotsa guys (like me) would rather have a post, no offense to the hardtop guys, I like them too but you could probably stir up a trade easier than doing a conversion........ hardtops have more bracing in the chassis as well.

daniel wilson and chevy57dude like this.
  6. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

I agree anything can be done all it takes is time and money. Go for it!
    *IMO I like the sedans best.

7. squirrel

squirrel

more than that...the outer quarters are different, the panel between the trunk and rear window is different, the inner structures are different, etc.

Sell your car, buy the car you want.

daniel wilson and belair like this.
  8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why would you want to go through all that conversion when most people would rather the post car. They are lighter, tighter and I think the roof line looks better.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You could convert it into a 4 door sedan easier:D

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

At one time in the early 70's, I owned 31 '57 Chevys, all at the same time, the majority of them two doors, simply because the two doors looked better fixed up (IMHO). They were more solid and had fewer rattles. It'd take a lot of work to convert a two door into a hardtop...if you want a hardtop, sell the one you have and go find one...

R-

11. squirrel

squirrel

The roof line on the hardtop is way better looking.

It's just that some guys don't have much of a sense of aesthetics.

:)

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

It's more than removing a post! The hardtop roof is lower and shorter, so you'll need a hardtop windshield, rear window and quarter windows.
    It would be a ridiculous amount of work-essentially a roof swap (chop top job) with tulip panel replacement (and the underlying package tray/trunk support), along with inner and outer upper quarter work. As much or more work than converting a hardtop into a conv.
    Traditionally, for the most part, hardtops were cruisers, sedans were racers/street machines.

14. squirrel

squirrel

When I was building my 55 chevy 20 years ago, I had a cheap donor car that was a Pontiac hardtop, I got a lot of parts from it. I guess you can't find them so cheap these days, though. The floor was different, but the upper body was the same, and I used a door from it. The rear seat bottom didn't fit quite right, because of the different floor.

15. scotts52

scotts52

Wow! I had no idea there was so much differences. I really don't mind the post. I was simply curious because back in the day my dad had a 57 hardtop and I'd like to build one in his memory. I have access to a post car so thought I'd ask about the difference.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

2 door sedans are cool

karl share and chevy57dude like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just wait and see what all 3 years of the Tri-Five Chevy don't have in common but look near the same thru out the whole car.

18. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

scotts52 drop by trifive.com you can find all the info you ever thought you wanted..... and then some!

19. 55chevr

55chevr

Not possible. Sedan is very different. 4 door sedan and 2 door sedan share the same roof and back window. Coupe is closer to a convertible then a sedan. Floors are the same but the quarters rear glass and roof line isn't close.
    Joe

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Perfection........
    [​IMG]

keywestjack and Gman0046 like this.
  21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The frames are the same sedan VS hardtop (there MAY be one mount that's different, but the frames are the SAME); it's the convertible frames that have extra "X" bracing. EVERYTHING from the beltline UP is different, plus the doors. Because of the difference in roofline height/length, the rear package shelf-to-trunk panel is different. Fenders (inner and outer), hoods, trunk lid, grille, bumpers and brackets swap right over. The glass, channels, tracks, regulators alone would be a nightmare. IMO, this swap should NEVER be attempted/done; there are still buildable cars out there. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. karl share

karl share

WHY ??? 2 door post's are good. seems to be a lot more coupe's around.

23. I seen a 4 dr htp that was converted to a two door htp. The roof line was quite different but it still looked good.

24. Agree!!!
    In the context of that time, when the 50's were middle aged, hardtops were king, post cars were company cars from the car pool. It was all about CRUISIN'! The deal was to roll the windows down and stuff 3 or 4 cheerleaders in the back seat. If you had a post car, you may as well had your mom in the back seat 'cause nobody could tell who was back there anyway. The claustrophobic cheerleaders would leave you for the first hardtop that came along.

Now, I fully understand the rational of getting a post car to build for the drag strip. I even did it myself in the mid-sixties, at the new car dealer, checking off all the right options to order a car built my way. But I think I detect more than a few sour grapes in the replies that "prefer" post cars. :p

bowie likes this.