Register now to get rid of these ads!

History REPOST – Indy Nats 1961 the lost pics are foundI

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Most of you have noticed that ‘Photobucket’ has chosen to end its free hosting and demand payment to allow previously posted pictures to be viewed. That is not gonna happen in my case. Of the hundreds of photos I’ve put on the ‘net there is only one group that I feel is worth restoring – my pictures of the 1961 Nationals, so here they are again, using the integral image hosting of the HAMB. I’ve included the heading I used in the original post as well as a link to it; while the pictures are gone and most of the comments are thanking me for sharing the pictures (which I really appreciate) there are some good comments on some of the cars. I’ve also ‘enhanced’ the pictures for better clarity. If you missed this the first time around

I was at the Indianapolis Nationals in 1961, '62, and '63 - in 1964 during labor day weekend of that year I was very busy at Fort Jackson South Carolina so no drag racing. In '61 I took photos, amateur to be sure, and in '62 I carried an 8mm movie camera. The movies have been posted on the internet (on the old 'Byron's Gasser Madness' site) but the stills from '61 have been 'lost' for the last 25 years. Today they were found - all 118 of them.

They are faded, and a lot of them were 'engine shots' of dragsters, but if anybody here ran a Gasser or a Dragster at Indy that year there is a good chance I took a picture of your car. Set the dial on your 'way-back' machine to 52 years ago and take a look; hope you guys like them.

The first four pictures were taken at the motel on Rte 40 where we stayed all 3 years; the '60 Pontiac (Tri-Power, 4 speed) is the car we drove out from SE Pennsylvania in '61 and '62, in '63 it was a 409 Chevy.
    INDYNATS001x.jpg INDYNATS002x.jpg INDYNATS003x.jpg INDYNATS004x.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    bowie, Hemi Joel, pwschuh and 12 others like this.
  2. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

3. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

5. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

6. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

8. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

INDYNATS077x.jpg INDYNATS078x.jpg INDYNATS079x.jpg INDYNATS080x.jpg INDYNATS081x.jpg INDYNATS082x.jpg INDYNATS083x.jpg INDYNATS084x.jpg INDYNATS085x.jpg INDYNATS086x.jpg INDYNATS087x.jpg INDYNATS088x.jpg INDYNATS089x.jpg INDYNATS090x.jpg INDYNATS091x.jpg INDYNATS092x.jpg INDYNATS093x.jpg INDYNATS094x.jpg INDYNATS095x.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    bowie, 49ratfink, Hemi Joel and 12 others like this.
  10. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

11. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's awesome that you were able to retrieve your terrific (!) photos without paying the Photobucket ransom
    However, rather than starting a new thread, wouldn't it be better if you went back to your original post(s), clicked edit and reloaded the photos in the original thread?

MrNailhead likes this.
  13. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Hmmmmm.......didn't think of that :)

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Holy shit best thread ever! Thanks for taking the time to re-load!

15. Great save..............Dave.:)

16. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks for these, sure brings back some memories of my youthful reading!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Your photos sure prove the point that all gassers noses weren't sky high.
    Terrific photos, thanks for sharing.

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin' Pics.....

Thanks.

19. Fordors

Fordors

Thanks for posting those, great stuff. In a sign of my misspent youth I remember many of those cars from HRM articles.

MrNailhead likes this.
  20. Yes, thank you for taking the time to repost your photos. I had never seen them before. Some great shots there.

MrNailhead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thank you for taking the trouble to re-post these pics. Quite a reminder of the variety of cars and classes, it stirs the memory of how exiting those times really were ! The A/MR from the Slo-Poks out of Vancouver,Wa. J.L. Skeans and Jerry Pickering were the owners, J.L.'s Son Dave, did the driving. They held the National Record around that time, were featured in Pennzoil adds. They ran Engle Cams, and one time they ordered a replacement camshaft, and didn't receive a bill. After a couple of weeks, Dave called to find out how much they owed. He was told by Jack, "You Are Record Holders, You Don't Have A Bill Here" !

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  22. What everyone said - thanks - we all know it takes time to scan and post....great shots too !

MrNailhead and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

The full fendered 3 window Ford coupe with Halibrands and white side walls numbered 489 looks like Billy Pate out of B'Ham Alabama.Car was gold and had a ton of chrome underneath.Thanks for the great photos.

MrNailhead likes this.
  24. Fantastic pics, I can't thank you enough for sharing them. One question, Speedcraft out of Chicago ran Ivo's Twin Buick at the 61 Nationals. Do you have any pics of the car?

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Man those are great photos. Thanks for sharing em!

There’s something wrong with the hamb when a post like this only gets a few likes and 6 comments...wtf.

cabong likes this.
  26. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Thanks for reposting these.

27. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank You Thank You Thank You etc.!

28. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Thanks for posting. Love seeing period photos of Shoebox Ford drag cars!

[​IMG]

I didn't think 5 spoke mag wheels were around in '61 though? (Not talking about the Shoebox pictured)

29. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Holy s**t. What great pictures. I remember several cars in Hot Rod magazine coverage of the Nationals. Thanks.

30. slowmotion

slowmotion

Holy sheet, dunno how I missed this first time around! That's documented history right there folks! Should be a 'sticky' for future reference as to 'how it really was'.
    Thanks for going through the trouble of getting these back up, Dave! Real treasures!