Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 Fordor in Finland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reindeer, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Hello all,
    I sold my Model A coupe last month and bought a 1934 Fordor driver here in Finland on Monday this week. I was told that the car has been in Finland since new and it has a 150 km per hour speedometer.
    I have driven about 100 miles so far and everything works pretty good.
    The 34 is mostly stock survivor except it has been four banger car and now has a 24 stud flathead gobbled in it. The engine and trans may be 38 221 as per previous owner. I can see the back of the block numbers. The exhaust is solid against the the steering gear and the right side head is against the firewall. Does anybody know what exhaust could clear the steering and what engine mount would be better if I retain this drivetrain?
    For starters I ordered a set of 6.00's and 7.00's for the 35 wire wheels I have and also a reversed eye front spring to change stance a bit.

Attached Files:

clunker, 302GMC, Dave Mc and 3 others like this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

3. brady1929

brady1929

4. I guess I'm surprised the engine is so tight to the steering box.??? Maybe some headers?? You might contact Bruce Lancaster or Charlie Stephens here on the Hamb. They have significant knowledge about this. BTW, welcome to the Hamb, very nice car.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. Looks like they made some jacked up adapters at some point to make the connection from the later truck water pumps to the original mounts in the frame, causing a misalignment of the engine in relation to the frame. All of the later flatheads still have the drilled and tapped holes on the front of the block for the 1st generation style engine mounts, just get some of those, cut the ears off of the pumps and everything should be fine.

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

You need the late flathead mount set(part number 41A-6023)along with B-6038-K Bob Drake Reproductions.Look them up in his catalog.You need to find a set of 33-36 V8 exhaust manifolds.The 4cyl cars actually has a longer driveshaft so don't understand the head clearance problem.You can also go on (www.fordbarn.com) and post questions in the Forum.I am in France and have a stock 33 tudor.Send me a PM with your email if you want more help.

8. Nice car, but the roof is way to high.:D

9. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Very cool sedan. Appears to have some nice and straight sheet metal.

10. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

Thank you guys for your suggestions on the engine mounts. By some internet research I found out the 4 cylinder cars driveshaft and torque tube are actually shorter for engine front area clearance.
    I removed the spare tire and bumpers yesterday to clean up the look. Today I made a 120 mile round trip to watch Vintage Drags in Rayskala airport. I drove most of the time 50-55 mph and I tested it is capable to run well over 70 but the stock gear ratio is too short now.
    I noticed that driving uphill the carb model 59 is running lean and it likes enrichment a little with choke. When I got home I changed that old carb to repro Stromberg 97 I have for my 29 roadster project. I didn't take a spin yet with it but it idles and revs nice now.

Attached Files:

11. Reindeer

Reindeer
    from Finland

I have made some minor updates. Reversed eye front spring and '35 wheels with 6.00's and 7.50's. The bigger rear tires made noticeable difference to cruise rpm. I also installed Offenhauser intake with two 97's. IMG_1228.jpg IMG_1313.jpg

Squablow and clunker like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good, nice car with some nice upgrades. I definitely like the new wheel and tire set, the removed spare tire, and the dual carbs. I personally might have left the bumpers on it but I really like the car.