Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. I did not like the way the filler pieces looked so I cut the tips off the panels ( where they swooped down around the park light assembly ) and smoothed things out better in the surround area . I am fabricating a new header panel as well and will end up with a 3/16" hood to panel gap . How many of us cut something apart a half dozen times . Isn't any wonder I don't seem to be getting anywhere. Geez !!

Attached Files:

brEad, koolkemp and Peanut 1959 like this.
  2. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I like the new end contours much better. Its good that you tried the other shape, just so you could put that behind you.

aw1950 likes this.
  3. For any that are keeping tabs it's been a while since I had anything to report . But as good fortune would have it I run into the guy I bought my project from in 2010 at the 2017 Atlantic Nationals ( check out their webpage / face book ) . Out of all the people there I run into him . Go figure ! Anyways , he told me the old guy that had a 51 Buick 4 door, that if you remember I got hinges from , had two complete + parts cars . I mentioned had ^^^ , as he has sold his 51 and the buyer was a wheeler dealer and did not want the parts cars. So I contact him and he is now ready to let them go , everything, lock , stock and barrel . I go see him on Saturday . Wish me luck . I will post some pictures if the deal comes together .

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

That's great Andy, take lots of pics eh!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I've been working on getting a pair of 53 spec. 4 Drs.
    Was thinking you could use the hood hinges assemblies.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

aw1950 and koolkemp like this.
  6. You bet Steve , getting these cars is like Christmas morning as a kid . They are full right to the ceiling with parts . I will post some pictures this weekend . Everybody likes seeing what other HAMBERS score , I know I do ! PS did you make Moncton

koolkemp likes this.
  7. Thanks for thinking of me Shane . I was going to go the front open way but it was going to be major surgery to get this stuff all working due to design differences at the cowl section . Besides a side opening is unique in todays environment of cars . Show attendees would think that it was customized to do that !! So I am good brother . Thanks

hacknwhack likes this.
  8. Rogers 1.jpg Well as previous mentioned yesterday I was checking out the buick part cars . There really wasn't a lot of useful items in the car that was full of parts . Generators , brake drums , broken mustache trim , nickel trim 4 door stuff , a lot of front end parts circa 1951 etc. so they stayed . I would end up cutting them up just to haul off for scrap . No sense . All is not a loss though I did buy two front fenders , a good front bumper ( mine is twisted ) and two repairable inner fenders . He won't be getting rid of anything any time soon . I will hit him up in the fall for his two rust free doors he has . They are 4 door doors but I would add the need length . I will post my purchase later this evening once I unload them !

Attached Files:

hacknwhack likes this.
  9. Well heres the spoils . The inner fenders are straight and just a little repair needed compared to mine that were totally rusted away at the front leading edge . A small patch needed on the drive side fender and the pass side fender requires inner brace at the rear repaired . I am thinking of grafting on the much better condition front halve of these fenders . Also a great condition bumper . ( No bends or kinks )

Attached Files:

koolkemp and Hivolt5.0 like this.
  10. Just a small update , was able to squeeze 2 hours in in the shop and started making the patch panel for the inner fender repair . It will take 4 individual panels to repair this area . All kinds of different angles and shapes . Pictures loaded backwards but you get it I am sure . Andy ..

Attached Files:

hacknwhack likes this.
  11. Keep plugging away Andy, it's looking good!

12. Thanks Dave for the comment^^^ . On another note guys , does anyone have a line on, or a 51 Mustache Trim assembly hanging in your shop for my car ? Due to not having access to these new fenders 1.5 years ago I sold what I had to a guy in Cali. . Now I am in search of trim and fender extensions again ( Got those ones out of French Lake ) . Go figure ! Should never sell anything until your car is complete I guess ! Thanks ! Andy...

hacknwhack likes this.
  13. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Pic coming of mustache.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

14. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

No chrome .piece cut out. drivers end extension missing.
    I call it restorable/paintable junk.
    Trade for 53 bar?

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gonzo likes this.
  15. Thanks for the response Shane . What would I use for that filler piece ? . Would a 53 bolt right up ? Is there any difference other than script maybe ??? You have one 53 that is ? The old guy has one but its broken in two. I think pot metal can be repaired . There is a show in his village in two weeks . I think I will hit him up while I am there for the bar pieces if I can find both pieces and fender extensions . I know he had a real nice fender extension but would not part with it 2 years ago . Andy..

16. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Somewhere in my piles, is that cut out piece...
    I have the missing extension but I tried a repair and it's poor,

53 does not bolt up,
    Fits well under hood,
    But, it drops down about 2 inches more at fenders , some bolts match at fenders,
    As you know I modified my 51 a lot to make a 53 fit,
    Btw if your looking for a bar,,, 51 and 52 specials are same part ,
    Super and roadmasters are wider and won't fit,

I have seen a few for sale in the aaca club forums
    Prices vary on quality,
    100 to 1000,
    Mine is in the 100 range,
    Have not seen one on eBay in years,,

17. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

The real trick is shipping,
    They are fragile ,
    Would need to make a wood crate,
    Gonna be real pricey,

18. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

19. Thanks again Shane . I will try out the old fella locally first before plan B,C,D, etc. LOL ! later man , Andy..

hacknwhack likes this.
  20. Well , got the worst part of the worst inner fender done today . Lots of fitting and welding / grinding to get it in this shape . Now I can move onto the other side once I get a few fatigue cracks repaired . Overall , this is in good shape considering the age ! Sorry some of the progress pictures are out of sync .

Attached Files:

Hivolt5.0 and koolkemp like this.
  21. Well Steve 1 year to the day and I am finally going to attempt the Mercury opening into the Buick . Have a look . The last picture shows how much the two have the same A pillar sweep . Lots of figuring and cutting into the Buick roof but I am confident the two shall meet ! Might have to slice the Buick roof some but no big deal .

Attached Files:

brEad and koolkemp like this.
  22. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

23. LONG

LONG

haven't been on here in a while. wow that's wild man.

aw1950 likes this.
  24. Thanks Andy . I keep cutting this thing up I will never get done LOL ! You getting anywhere on yours ?

25. Got a little time today on the Buick . The grafting is coming along but a lot to do yet for sure . Pictures are in reverse again . # 3 shows a big hole to fill !!! Tomorrow I will start cutting away on the bottom portion of the Mercury opening carving it up to fit as well .

Attached Files:

hacknwhack likes this.
  26. Here I am once again , in deep . Fully committed at this juncture . I sliced up the Merc opening into four individual pieces and had to hack deep into the Buick dash to get this done . On the header panel of the opening on the drive side I added 5/8" to the width of the panel to get the upper and lower pieces lined back up . The A pillar is nice and flat where I welded the two pieces back together at the A panel . The windshield opening size is 11 1/2" edge of pinch weld to edge of pinch weld . The passenger side is just tacked for the time being and will require a filler of 5/8" as well, across the header panel. Not seen in these pictures is the fact I split the 2 upper corner pieces of the header panel at all the pinch welds to have a easier time of fitting the pieces . I will weld it all back together once everything fits as it should . Damn pictures are out of sync with the progress and I don't know how to change this ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    hacknwhack and DirtyNapkin like this.
  27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow is right! Damn if you didn't dive into the deep end Andy! We are watching a determined man fight his way out of a metal maze. Wow.

28. LOL yeah Jimmy I am a sucker for punishment . I know what I want but its a lot of work and so little time it seems lately . Monday I should see so time in the shop all day and make a lot of progress ! We will see .

LONG and hacknwhack like this.
  29. Roof 1.jpg For today I was able to spend some uninterrupted time in the shop . Got a big jump on the Mercury opening into the Buick . Before that did a little cleanup on the opening , the windshield opening and put stuff in weld thru primer behind the new Mercury opening on the A pillars . I cut a notch in the middle of the roof because there is a slight swage line on these Mercury windshield openings . This creates two slight planes on the left and right panels of the roof . I think without doing this I would have an issue with kinking of the roof . There is a nice subtle slope to the roof as once it was cut and dropped to meet the Mercury there was a 5/8" drop forward to the Buick roofline . I think when its all back together it will have very nice rooflines .

Attached Files:

DirtyNapkin and Hackerbilt like this.
  30. 100_0707 (800x600).jpg Not a great angle and is opposite side but the comparison is there somewhat . The Mercury opening is not so aggressive as the Buick . This is saving me a lot of $$$$ .Windshield for a Buick , up here , $ 500.00 then you have to cut it and hope you don't crack it . No players in town for that task , so it was going to be up to me . I opted for the Mercury flat glass .

Attached Files:

DirtyNapkin and Hackerbilt like this.