Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Holman-moody the history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by frank spittle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. econolineherb

econolineherb

Let's see pics of the vans . Still looking for some pics of my dads blue '63 Ford pickup with the H/M 427 at the indoor drags in Chicago . It had HERBO on the doors .

Spooky likes this.
  2. ecode ragtop

ecode ragtop
    from illinois

If I may ask a question. H&M formed in mid 57. Did any of the 57 Fords have H&M on the cars or did that start in 58. I have seen a lot of pictures of 57 Ford Stock cars, but none with Holman Moody on the fenders. Thanks Tom

Spooky likes this.
  3. farnold3

farnold3
    from Hytop,AL

When did Red Vogt leave the Dpaulo operation? I recall a young Alabama Engineering student,Bill Hamner, being assigned to the engine room with Vogt as his mentor. He was no doubt a quick study. when he returned home after his first tour of duty at FOMOCO's Depaulo operation he began building some killer Y block engines for Ford racer's in and around Alabama. He competed in a '54 ford "C" Gasser himself that soon put the Chevy guys on the hunt for 1/2 & 5/8 stroker kits.

Spooky and IroquoisEngineering like this.
  4. I recall reading that Red Vogt left Depaolo Engineering when he found out John Holman was being hired to replace him in the Charlotte operation. This was sometime in early 1956.

Dave

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

Just returned from Holman & Moody. The boys are very busy. Jimmy Tucker is rebuilding a Boss 429 for a customer. His health has improved enough that he is building a newly purchased '31 Model A sedan for himself. He has finished chopping the top and is doing other metal work. He has been employed at H-M for 50 years.

Ric Dean and loudbang like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Good deal adding an update.

1947knuck likes this.
  7. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

One day I went to instal a new dishwasher at Ralph Moodys home--he was a talker and we chatted the afternoon away--I asked him how he started hotrodding--his tale was amazing--
    He said he and his brother ( or maybe a pal) bought an old T model for a couple of dollars--well to make it faster they stripped everything they could off of it--faster , faster, until they got to thinking she needed more compression--the answer was remove the pistons--they cut an old coffee can and made a "form" around the piston then poured molten lead in the form thus making "dome pistons". Back in the T they went...I asked him how that worked--he sort of grinned and shook his head--well...he said---it turned the inside of the exhaust white as cotton!!!
    That is a first hand account!
    I can also tell you his UNIVERSAL answer to engine performance was to "STROKE IT!" said with that strong NY accent it was priceless!!
    We grew up near there, and all my Dads friends worked there--many migrated from the heavy equipment/earthmover business that was so strong back then as the US Interstates were being expanded all over--my Dad always said when another guy left--They will be back in a few weeks--This is a business--that racing junk will not last. Boy was he wrong--but...he had a new growing family and was damned determined to take care of us so for that I give him eternal credit.

8. 64 galaxie hm

64 galaxie hm

Does anybody know if the Holman Moody (Lincoln) brake drums came with 5x5 bolt pattern or was the original 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern redrilled to 5x5.

9. All of my Holman Moody drum brake stuff is 5x5 only, not 5x5.5 redrilled to 5x5. The only drilling done is to open up the holes for 5/8" wheel studs from the original 1/2" studs. Also gotten Lincoln drums out of the junkyard, those are 5x5 as well. Hope this helps.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  10. I found this article I cut out of the Charlotte Observer when I was eleven years old. The Starlifter was mentioned last week on the thread about Galaxies.

Attached Files:

Phillips likes this.
  11. Was wondering if anyone out there has seen any Holman Moody catalogs from the 1961-66 time frame? I have collected what I believe to be most of the catalogs/brochures from 1967-78 (or at least I have a really good cross section of them), and I've seen a few from 1959-60, maybe into 1961 for some of the Thunderbird/Starliner stock car parts and Falcon hop up stuff (like the pages Frank posted at the beginning of this thread). But I have seen nothing from 1962-66 (save for the Holman Moody pages that would go into a Ford dealers master parts catalog, for Oct 1965 (includes A/FX Mustang parts)). I've scoured Ebay, the internet and swap meets for a long time, with no sightings..

Dave

12. powrshftr

powrshftr

And if you ever decide to send em down the road,could you please call me first?
    It would make my day to have the doors off the Goldfinger car.
    Those A/FX Mustangs were magic:)

Scott

13. loudbang

loudbang

Lets Bring this back to life

From the 1963 Golden State 400

Holman Moody sponsored car pit crew at work. Car also has a HM sticker on the hood and trunk.
    Looks like they need to straighten the roof just a tad.

Capture17.JPG

Another crew

Capture21.JPG

Spooky, Deuces, 1947knuck and 2 others like this.
  14. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Cotton Owens hauler in the background.

Spooky and loudbang like this.
  15. frank spittle

frank spittle

Stopped by H-M yesterday and was surprised to find out Jimmy Tucker has finally retired. He worked there full time for 51 years. I talked to Larry Wallace who has worked there 50 years too. Jimmy is in pretty good health and finishing his chopped '29 Model A sedan.
    Larry told me they have suspended building engines. Tucker is one of the last men standing who are experts and was there when the 427 SOHC and Boss 429 engines were new. He was still the main engine builder at H-M and could do ANYTHING else that needed to be done. It won't be the same without him.

16. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

Look what came in the mail the other day:

IMG_2255.JPG IMG_2254.JPG
    It's going in my son's '63 Galaxie.

Kevin

Spooky, bobss396, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  17. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

This one:

IMG_2001.JPG

Kevin

Spooky, duncan, Deuces and 10 others like this.
  18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Word is out there is a new documentary about the first GT-40 program in the mid '60s and Lee Holman is interviewed in it.

19. frank spittle

frank spittle

It is for real! It is called "The 24 Hour War". It is on Amazon for $15.00 dvd or $18.00 bluray or if you are a prime member you can watch it on TV free. That's what I did.
    It is a very well put together documentary about the Ford GT-40 program with original footage and interviews with a lot of 70+ year old guys who were there. I believe most every car guy knows the story about the GT40 program and the wins at Lemans 4 straight years from '66-'69 but this really gets into the guts of it. It is almost 2 hours long and no commercials on Amazon Prime and I found myself wanting to take a food and beverage break but didn't. I thought it was THAT good.

Spooky, Deuces, Ray C's son and 3 others like this.
  20. frank spittle

frank spittle

It had been almost a year when I stopped by Holman & Moody yesterday. It looks the same but there was not much activity. Larry Wallace, the main cam grinder for 50 years, was the only employee there and he is about to turn 80. I talked with Lee Holman about the documentary "The 24 Hour War" which he is in. I have known Lee forever (we are both 73) but it is obvious to me that things are winding down there. Maybe you should stop by if in the area. It saddens me to know this great organization will one day be no more. Nothing lasts forever.

21. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

That will be a sad day, indeed.

Kevin

Deuces, scrapiron and loudbang like this.
  22. Putting together a 57 T-Bird at work with a SOHC 427 engine.
    The owner brought some NOS gaskets and this was on the box.

427 SOHC Holman Moody address label.JPG

Spooky, Deuces, Ray C's son and 2 others like this.
  23. terryr

terryr
    from earth

24. loudbang

loudbang

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

Thanks for posting those Terryr!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  26. doc's

doc's

Thanks terryr!!

loudbang likes this.
  27. powrshftr

powrshftr

Was lucky enough to visit H/M shop on our way to Florida a few months back.
    They had a real goldmine of cool stuff.
    About a billion sets of FE headers for almost as many applications,about a dozen GT-40’s in various stages of completion,a customer’s Dan Gurney clone stock car,and a legit 63 Galaxie Fireball Roberts car.
    Lee also keeps a trophy case full of cool items like one of Joe Weatherly’s old helmets,and the wooden pattern that the original 427 SOHC valve covers were made from.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    That last one is of a 20yr old Lee Holman fuelling a Cobra Daytona coupe in Riems France.Here’s a picture of Lee displaying the “safety equipment “ they gave him to protect him from harm as the fuel man:
    [​IMG]
    The man was the greatest host ever,and my Wife,who is not really a race car,or history person,was having the time of her life once he started telling stories and making her laugh.
    If you get the chance to stop by there,you need to do it while you still can.

Scott

Spooky, BradinNC, NHRANUT and 3 others like this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Very cool pictures.... Thank you!... :)

Spooky and powrshftr like this.
  29. powrshftr

powrshftr

My pleasure Deuces.Just wish I could get back there and pick Lee’s brain for a few weeks!lol

Scott

loudbang likes this.
  30. davecj

davecj

What ever happened to this car that was sold out from under you ? any idea ?

loudbang likes this.