Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another new guy from Texas...

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by blakejr57, Jul 19, 2017.

1. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

Hi everyone,
    Longtime lurker from Austin, Texas checking in for the first time. Since this is technically an introduction, a little background....
    Unlike most people around here, I can't say I've been obsessed with cars since childhood, or grew up wrenching on them with my Dad or my friends. My journey into enthusiasm for old cars has been unexpected and the learning curve excruciating, but it has come directly from my father-in-law, who actually has been a car nut his entire life.
    After years and years of talking endlessly about and, when I was lucky enough, driving his cars, this incredibly generous, kind man who has never treated me like less than his own family and whom I love as dearly as my own father is preparing to make a gift to me and my wife of his latest build. I figure I might take some guff over the fact that I didn't work on it with my own hands but I have been as involved as I could be from over 300 miles away. In the meantime I've been lurking here and seeking information elsewhere, trying to build as much knowledge as I can so I'm not some ignorant young guy with a killer car he knows nothing about. It won't even be in my driveway for a few more weeks but I already have about a million questions, so I figured I may as well introduce myself before I start asking for help and advice.
    The car itself is a 1951 Ford 2-door, rust free and mostly original due to spending much of its life in deep South Texas. It's built as a cruiser, with a lightly modified and modernized flathead V8 and drivetrain but mostly stock in appearance. Will post some better pics when I get home but here are the few I have access to at the moment. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. Wow on your new ride. That is awesome. From what I see do not change anything as that looks perfect.
    Just a thought if you wife has an unmarried sister do not post here name or info or a bunch of the hound dogs that hang out here will be trying to woo her to get a father in law like that.
    Three hundred miles from Austin? Sounds like you are still in Texas. What part of the state as likely there are some of us nearby if you need help or info or event or local club info.
    Post more photo's when you can.
    Jimmie.

3. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

Thanks, nobull. I'm still amazed at my good fortune with my f-i-l, his daughter, and the car. The other daughter has already been gifted another HAMB-worthy Mustang, but trust me--no car in the world is worth the amount of bull one would have to endure, haha.
    I am in Austin, but the car and in-laws are in the Valley. Seems like there's a lot of active Texans on here, love to see that and looking forward to meeting some of them down the road some time.
    First three pics are what it looked like back in November 2013, shortly after it was acquired and before he ditched Resale Red for the bright white, which was an outstanding decision. Next three shots are more recent, with the interior installed and pretty much finished and me enjoying a frosty adult beverage. Last one is his other two toys, a 1954 Chevy truck and a non-HAMB-compliant 72 Stingray. It's lucky I fell for his daughter before I knew about the cars....

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. No such thing;) It's in the rules at the top of the page.

5. Great looking car! Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.