Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mista

mista
    from Finland

2. mista

mista
    from Finland

Engine turns freely when turning by hand from the crank.. So i guess it's either battery or the starter that is dead..

And for the cooling getting very pressurized.. I don't have any thermostats so the water flows freely in the system. Can it flow too much? Or is it just because the engine is shit :)

And by the way the steering is very interesting since i haven't wreally driven car like this before. The front end starts to shake/jump/death wobble like hell some times. The front grill goes crazy and it feels like the whole car will crack in half.. I remember seeing some tips how to adjust this bumpsteer stuf.. I'll have to check everything on front form the steering box to the wheels pressure..

Edit: i had 10psi in front tyres or less.. May affect on the death wobble :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Outback and brEad like this.
  3. mista

mista
    from Finland

Outback, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  4. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Great shot! Very cool.

5. mista

mista
    from Finland

Outback, ABONES, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  6. mista

mista
    from Finland

7. FlatJan

FlatJan

might that knocking sound come from the crank hittin the pan?
    my flatty had this when i first mounted an new pan and blasted it up..
    had to clearance it a bit with a hammer ( guess the original engine was stored directly on that pan before i bought it)

8. mista

mista
    from Finland

I have to check but i doubt it. The sound is coming from the engine at the load. Not so much when idling. My first guess is the stock size piston in an overbored hole.. It starts wobbling and hitting the cylinder wall under load. Shaking because of wrong size.

Sent from my G3121 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. mista

mista
    from Finland

Beginning of this summer has been fantastic here in Finland. The weathers has been better than in last ten years. At least ten.. Around 77F for many weeks and summer just started. Last year we had only few days in whole summer.

I've been driving "Lucky" around the town with my kids without any major issues. Well the engine is still knocking like hell but what the heck. Let it knock. But then came the first longer trip of the summer. And by lonk i don't really mean long. Just over 60 miles. And right at the beginning the upper waterhose blew of :) So i had to call my friend to bring me few basic tools and a water since this was the first time i did not have them with me. The car gave a great lesson to my kid also. This is how it is with these old vehicles. You never know what happens next and that is the best part of driving these. You don't have story to tell if you always just go from place A to place B. The story comes from what happens in between. I've learned that riding aroung on my 1975 Ironhead. Best things and stories are always those that did not go by the plan. Have a great summer folks.

One roadside picture from this waterhose episode with my kid sitting in the back. And one picture of Finnish Primer magazine with my pickup in the cover.

And greetings to F-6Garagerat Scott. Hope everything is ok and you are enjoyin your summer with some pickup too.

Attached Files:

Outback, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.
  10. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Stogy likes this.
  11. LAROKE

LAROKE

Haulin' kids around is one of the greatest pastimes of owning an old truck.

[​IMG]

Outback, Stogy, Jet96 and 5 others like this.
  12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, how’s the Ol’ Girl doin?

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. mista

mista
    from Finland

Hi! Long time no.. hear. :)

Shes doing fine but i haven't had any time to drive it this summer yet. The 283 is back in place and runs fantastic. Once i had to come home with a tow truck last summer since it did not get gas. Something with the fuelpump i guess. After searching for the fault for a while it just started running like nothing had happen. Otherwise it looks just the same as it left from you.

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and brEad like this.
  14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah, I had my surgery about 14 months ago. Just went back to work in March of this year. Honestly, and I don’t mean to be a downer, but it’s been hard to look at all the things I’ve accomplished, cars I’ve built, all things I’m not able to do anymore. I haven’t “made” anything in a long time. You know what I mean. So, I kind of checked out for a while. But, the surgery kept me out of a wheelchair and I’m walking under my own power so, things could’ve been much much worse. I’m going to retire soon because I can’t really do this whole working thing anymore, LOL. I don’t have any builds in me but, I might be able to pick up somebody’s nearly finished project one day. Glad the 283 is back where it belongs. That was the best running small block I ever had. Spent a lot of time dialing in the tri-power. Take care, talk soon.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    Outback, Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  15. DdoubleD

DdoubleD
    from Michigan

Pic. from Sins of Steel car show. From a few years back.

Attached Files:

Stogy, LAROKE and RICH B like this.
  16. Madmike66

Madmike66
    from Finland

Hey. I'm your old car a new proud owner. This is my first Hot Rod. I do have other US cars though. Do you remember which camshaft is in place now in that 283 sbc. it feels very healthy. the clutch vibrates and needs to be replaced. Which clutch is in place? What do you think, is that rearend and gearbox strong enough for that 283 engine? best regards madmike66 from finland.

rooster1936, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Sorry for the overdue reply. Clutch and flywheel are both 1950 Mercury. As far as the cam, it’s Howard’s Cam, here’s a YouTube video I shot:

Cam number is in title of the video. It’s specs are close to the Chevrolet Duntov 30/30 cam.

As far as the 39 trans and banjo rear end being strong enough For the 283, probably not, lol. Now, I’m not saying I never put my foot in it but, I didn’t really drive it that hard. Did I race a few cars? Have it up over 100mph a few times? Sure. But no burn outs from a dead stop, shifting like a madman or anything like that.

PS, as far as 100+ mph goes, the front end gets a little “light” if you know what I mean. Lol. Anyway sorry for the really late reply.

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

So how’s my old truck doin? How are you doin?

19. Madmike66

Madmike66
    from Finland

Hey. greetings from Finland. great that I got to know the camshaft values. It's pretty hard as I thought. the machine runs just fine, but the clutch shakes. are the Mercury flywheel and the Chevy flywheel similar? so there's now a Mercury flywheel? interested because if I have to change it. The clutch plate is apparently a flathead?. I'll take the car body out of place next winter. I bought the original 30 model fenders and footboards for it. the reason is Finnish legislation. I thought of blowing it in a bit of a rusty style. With soda blasting. the bench also needs to be rebuilt. doors have to do inside ready too. I read that the gearbox has different gears or strollers than the original? Do you still remember what kind? Regards from madmike66

20. mista

mista
    from Finland

R.I.P Scott. You will be missed by many! Had a pleasure to be a part of this car and it's story. It's journey will continue and the story with it.

Outback, -Brent- and Runnin shine like this.
  21. Madmike66

Madmike66
    from Finland

lucky got a new look IMG_20221105_174112.jpg