Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model a banger sport coupe to 8BA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevinwalshe, Feb 23, 2015.

1. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

She's back together and running! Grill shell on as well, still looking for a 28/29 radiator.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim, Dannerr, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  2. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Looking good Kevin, I'm going to start putting the RPU together next week.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  3. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Glad you got it back together!!

kevinwalshe likes this.
  4. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Been a while since I've posted, been having too much fun!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Annnnd I bought a new project! 54 F100! Build thread on that to begin soon!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, cactus1, waxhead and 1 other person like this.
  5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good to hear. Love your build. Gary

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    kevinwalshe likes this.
  6. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Looks like you have been loving your car. What are your plans for the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kevinwalshe likes this.
  7. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

8. wallyringo

wallyringo

Great thread!! i finally got thru the whole thing.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  9. DaveM

DaveM
    from Michigan

That looks like a fun little hot rod! I like the banger.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  10. Finally, I got to the end of your build thread. I love my banger cabriolet like no other car, just fun to drive.

kevinwalshe and dos zetas like this.
  11. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Got some bigger plans for the Sport Coupe....
    IMG_3441.JPG.jpeg

Tim, ROCKER77, waxhead and 2 others like this.
  12. 97

Buy yourself a shoehorn.:cool: Front pulleys are spaced forward on 8BA to give distributor clearance , so it is a very tight fit between the front x member and the firewall in a 28/29 if you don't want to cut anything . Even when you trim the X member. Front engine mount position is critical . You need truck waterpumps to use normal flathead style mounts.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  13. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I plan on having the torque tube all bolted up if possible and set the mount position from there. Got any measurements that I can begin with 97? I already have the Tardel/Bishop book.

14. 97

No sorry, I was going to put an 8BA into a car that had already been running with a 59A , but it was too long and the owner didn't want to cut the firewall or change the engine mounts... , I didn't do the job in the end we found another block for the original 59A motor . The 8BA was only going to be a temporary fix so he could use the car. I think I would at least trial fit the motor and gearbox and take some very careful measurements before I cut the torque tube. There are a couple of threads on the HAMB where it has been done successfully, with some careful juggling.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  15. 97

16. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Kevin-Hope the water pump arrived and got installed in time for this weekend. Have fun at the Roadster Show.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

kevinwalshe likes this.
  18. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Also I am a little sad to see the banger go but I know how you feel. I scored a Mercury engine a few months ago. Mine doesn't run like yours does. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kevinwalshe likes this.
  19. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

It would be nice to keep the banger without pumping a ton of money into it. I want to drive safely on the California Highways but the banger won't keep up and it's only a matter of time before someone doesn't see a slow moving Model A in the right lane...

Binger likes this.
  20. My relatively stock banger in my '31 RDPU is comfortable at 55 MPH. Above that its pushing a little but more important are the airplane wing like front fenders (they lift the front end and make it light) combined with the large side area (problems with passing semi's and side winds blowing across the highway) and primitive suspension (by modern standards) make the truck uncomfortable as you go above 55 mph.

Charlie Stephens

Dannerr likes this.
  21. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Had a few of the boys over on Saturday. Made some progress in the transformation.
    IMG_5130.JPG
    Out she goes!!! IMG_5128.JPG
    And off to it's new home. Will be living in an RPU from now on. @ROCKER77 rolled down to pick it up with his buddy Bob.
    IMG_5148.JPG IMG_5149.JPG

Tim and ROCKER77 like this.
  22. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

Time to change the name on the thread from banger to flatty!!!

Dannerr likes this.
  23. As a younger guy that just picked up a sport coupe, this is inspiration!!

kevinwalshe likes this.
  24. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

So what's up with the fatty? Oh and Bob wanted me to let you know he loves this banger. I now have the slow banger in the group.

25. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Been working on my house non-stop. I have some commitments over the next two weekends, then it's full steam ahead and I'll get it back on the road. Stoked to hear Bob likes that motor! It's a strong little sucker that was well taken care of.

Dannerr and ROCKER77 like this.
  26. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Over the weekend I finally found the old style 70 amp breaker I needed for the main panel, ran a 50 amp sub panel in the garage and cleaned out all my junk. Replaced the broken transmission mount and got that bolted up to the trans. I finally have lights and power in the garage after a long wait. Going to be ripping through it in the coming weeks. I forgot to post stuff as I have two jobs now and not much time.
    IMG_5930.jpg

Tim, ROCKER77, Texas36 and 1 other person like this.
  27. Well it's definitely good to see a little progress! I'm a few hours north of you, in Santa Barbara. Next time I'm in the Costa Mesa area we'll have to meet up! I'd love to do a videoshoot of your car!

28. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Got the crossmember in, transmission buttoned up, and almost got the motor in. Ran out of time this weekend but will make more progress this week/weekend. Joe Leroux came over to give me hand as well. IMG_2087.JPG IMG_3797.JPG IMG_4070.JPG IMG_4392.JPG IMG_5835.JPG IMG_5959.JPG IMG_5964.jpg IMG_5965.jpg IMG_5968.jpg IMG_5969.jpg IMG_5970.jpg IMG_5973.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Tim, Texas36, FoMoCoMoFo and 3 others like this.
  29. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Got the motor mounts in, carb on and a few other things. I welded a plate from the outside of the motor mount onto the outside of the frame. Probably still needs a couple more little triangulated gussets but it is at least sitting where it needs to be. I ordered up an electronic ignition and I'm contemplating getting a PowerGen or just rewinding the field coils in the generator so it is negative ground. I'd then need a voltage regulator. Next up is to correct the caster on the front axle and get the steering all dialed.
    IMG_6034.jpg