Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Karma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OLDTINPUSHER, Jul 17, 2017.

1. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Telling this story to hopefully brighten your day. It is a slightly long read, but I hope you think it was worth it.
    First, a little about myself. As many of you know, I have a little "hobby" of buying and selling pre war cars and parts. Because of this I have acquired a fair amount of "inventory" that my wife and the town insist that I keep out back behind the fence line. Typical photo of inventory.

[​IMG]

Second, I suffer from Prosopagnosia full explanation here
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia
    Which means I have a hard time remembering faces. If I meet you say at an event, talk to you for 20 minutes and we part ways, I'll remember everything we spoke about but if I try to recall your face all I see is your full body with a nylon stocking over your face. I can see your face but can not remember thing specific about it . This is why I tend not to look at you when we are speaking, I am subconsciously looking at what I can recall later. This is one of several disorders I am blessed to have.

Got it so far.
    So a few years ago an old gentleman and a not quite so older gentleman stop by on a Sunday evening in the late fall. The older guy (the father, pushing mid 80's) is restoring his first car ( a model A) and his son (the younger of the two probably early 60's) are looking for a few parts. Well I'm about to sit down with the family for an early dinner, but I tell them " Go on out back and see if you spot anything you need." About an hour later there is a knock at the door. It's dark, wife is angry I forgot about the two "old " guys out back (what if they got hurt or dropped dead. Oh crap wife is right and angry again). I open the front door and the father is standing there with a small handful of little model A trinkets. His eyes are smiling and he blurts out" Found everything we need to finish the car, what do you want for these?" I look at the pieces, see a couple of good ones (nice locking door handle, some trim, etc) look back at the two of them and say"Ah, don't worry about it, but you better send me some photos of it whens its done." Awkward silence , then the son tries to insist I take something. "No" I say " I insist you keep them, Happy I could help."
    Few months later I believe the grandson sent a couple of photos in an email and that was that. I always ask for photos of your car, I can remember cars. Until..
    About 4 year later an old gentleman and his great grandson approach me at a swap meet. They start tell about this great Model A the whole family enjoys, Thanks for the help (I'm thinking keep talking I'll recognize you eventually) . Then the old guy tells me his father past away a few months ago, but he really enjoyed driving the car with the grand and great grand kids, thank you so much for helping (remember, I still have no idea who they are, but it sounds familiar). Then I ask "let's go see the car". I remember the car and the whole story now!! After seeing the car, the old guy tells me they had a few pieces left over from the build, would I like to have them? Sure I tell him. He remembers where I live, him and great grandson will drop them off next week some time. Great.
    Get a call from the wife about 4 days later and boy is she mad. "WTF are these parts doing in my parking spot in the driveway ?". Great they must have left a couple rusty parts in the driveway as they said they would. Wish I had told them to throw them "out back". My bad.
    Then I get home an hour later to approximately FOUR pick up truck loads of various Model A parts.
    Crap, Hope the local Model A club needs more parts for their model A build.
    http://www.adirondackas.org/calendar.html

Remember the more you spread goodwill, the more goodwill get spread your way.

Hopefully this inspires you give more then you receive especially when its something you need less then the other person.

Hopefully this explains me a little better to all who know me now and in the future. I'm not aloof or arrogant, just a little special. :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. It pays to be a nice guy. You might forget faces, but people don't forget nice.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

GOD BLESS YOU. You ARE special. Your unselfish acts set an example we all should follow. Lippy

4. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Oh, so you can remember me. Taken at the Burnt Hills swap meet this year. Hope to see you at the next event.

IMG_3105.JPG

5. Love that story.......

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

great positive guy and story

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. One"makes you smile" story,thanks.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Great story! I'm a firm believer in Karma. You reap what you sow in this life.

9. chargin03

chargin03

10. GREAT STORY!!! Bruce.

11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Mark

Great story and in some ways not that surprising knowing your good nature and helpful demeanor.

Btw, I'm the guy who delivered the box of stuff you gave to Nick the Bandit from this sping's Rhinebeck show. So there you go again being a good guy.

Pete

12. 34FordConv

34FordConv

Great story ... Good on you!!
    I must have done something bad when I was young ... Still waiting on Karma to visit me.
    Maybe just not recognizing her . :)

13. Neat story, It's CAR-MA. Sometimes things come back to bite you on the arse- in a nice way!

14. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great Story, You are a Good Man !