Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

[​IMG]
    So the tops of these doors have a different bracket on the hinge side. The one on the left is the passenger side that I got from a hamber and it does not have the spring and extended bracket. It also does not appear to be broke or cut. Any idea what the bracket is for? Oh and I believe these doors are 29 or 30 coupe

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fern 54 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  2. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

[​IMG]
    Also found this button? On the left one as another difference otherwise the doors are the same dimensions

Steffen Jobst likes this.
  3. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

Fern 54 and Steffen Jobst like this.
  4. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

5. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

6. madmike3434

madmike3434

7. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Got a 32 roadster cowl today! :)
    Think it was maybe a hot rod at some point flat firewall welded in, v lines on top with a middle bolt mount for maybe a hallock style windsheild.
    looks like maybe holes for firewall master cylinder, and the bottom body line was cut off and a slight wedge channel.
    And pretty much no rust super solid!
    IMG_0696.JPG IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0700.JPG

Bowtie Coupe, Fern 54 and TFoch like this.
  8. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

:D
    IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0704.JPG IMG_0702.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Nice Score! What are the plans?

10. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

It will be a year or 2 before i can start anything so gonna keep my eye out for some doors (think thats slim chance tho).
    Im thinking modified or rpu.
    If i cant find any proper roadster sheet metal i can at least get closed car stuff for body lines.

TFoch likes this.
  11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a nice solid score. It makes me laugh to think what we passed on years ago because it was rusty or incomplete. The first Chevy roadster I had a chance to buy was a '25 track racer in 1963. It was a complete running trackster with 2 engines The next was a '26 body in the '80s for three times the price. I still have that one with hopes.:)

12. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

Mike the door with the handle is the one with the short bracket. could the longer bracket with the spring be for a window vent? And yes they are square topped but I do not think they are for 33/ 34 trucks as they a 35 1/2 wide. here are some pictures of the exterior [​IMG][​IMG]

13. foxforcefive

foxforcefive

Bowtie Coupe and Fern 54 like this.
  14. madmike3434

madmike3434

15. madmike3434

madmike3434

By the door hinges this cowl section is definitely a roadster/phaeton, most likely 31-32 ??? Note that these hinges are special "hidden hinges" as used ONLY on Chevrolet open car bodies 1929--to 1935 . Difficult to obtain.

Vent windows were not introduced by Chevrolet until 1933. The door latch system is from a Chevrolet gm FISHER BODY closed car.

mike lynch

16. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Its 32. from all pics ive seen 31 is way different, and looks just like all the 32 pics ive seen.
    The guy i got it from is selling lots of early chevy and 32 parts just not any more sheet metal :(. Gonna try and find doors but not holding my breatho_O, 32 chevy roadsters seem to be quite rare from what i can gather i cant even find many pics of hot rod ones.

17. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  18. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Dont have much $ for my hobby right now got 3 young kids and family expenses come first. Not all of us can afford a whole car to start with.
    Besides all i would want from that is the body ;) i want to build a bare bones fenderless hot rod:)

ct1932ford likes this.
  19. Steffen Jobst

Steffen Jobst

Then it makes sense! Good luck!

20. madmike3434

madmike3434

GEBHARD...........here is some info for you............roadster and phaeton and roadster pickup bodys were SUPPLIED TO Chevrolet by an outside source, I believe to be Hercules Campbell. NOTHING from a closed car fisher body fits the open cars and the cowl is narrower and the body lines are different. As I found out with my 1935 Chevrolet standard series roadster under construction. The Cabriolet body style was made by FISHER and all hardware fits.

The 1932 Chevrolet is a year unto itself, strictly one year body style. These are and have always been high in demand due to the great styling and the variety of body styles offered that year.

Back in the late 80's early 90's a company called EXPERI-METAL in ohio and Michigan reproduced the roadster body, fenders and all other parts in steel. You could order it stock or street rodded with vette suspension and driveline. Very little of those parts remain. But a company called AMERICAN MUSCLE in ohio sells repo parts on ebay.. Type in 1932 Chevrolet.......ebay motors, search to find whatever is available at that moment.

mike lynch :confused:

Fern 54 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

'25 & '26 open cars used the hidden door hinges as well.

22. madmike3434

madmike3434

interesting 6 ball I did not know that...........!

mike

23. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Thanks for the info! Yea i know about experi-metal that was nice stuff so far american muscle is only one i can find with anything and their stuff is just nos experi stuff and all the have left is subrail stuff and cowl panels, wish they had door skins...
    Prolly gonna make it into a modified bucket type body with no doors so not really worried about latches hinges and jamb stuff..... unless i can find doors and quarters slim chance unless i find old eperi stuff then it will be exspensive o_O
    I got the cowl off ebay too...:cool:

24. Gebhard, there's a guy in Ill that seems to have lots of stuff for 32's listed on epay. He has had roadster stuff over the years, keep hunting it's out there... FYI, my dad got a 32 from experimetal a few years back that someone had big ideas for that never happened. The stuff is out there, just gotta hunt

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  25. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Thats where i got the cowl hahaha, he said he put the word out to some of his friends for doors cause i asked him to let me know if he was gonna sell any.

26. that was the cowl i was watching then....good ya got it as i don't need more projects:)

27. GEBHARD

GEBHARD
    from TX...

Thanks , it was up for a lil while thought it might sell while i was trying to talk to him about shipping it to CA, i dont really know whats a good price $ for chevy sheet metal thought it wasnt bad..u know if it was 32 ford it would be 10x.
    Its pretty dang solid other than the hacked up firewall and the very bottom 2 inches "subrails" a lil crusty, all the upper sheet metal is great and the cowl vent is in great shape and works fine

28. Hot Rods have three pedals!:cool: End of story.

29. Wow! Taste like Chevy!:p

[​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  30. looked decent, that's why i was interested....ya did good. Took me about 8 months to find a door for my 28 tub, but i did find one and it was in really good shape, stuff out there, just gotta keep hunting. Interesting auction coming up around here next month, i'll keep an eye out for ya