Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Painting at home in the driveway or garage thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Trying to make room for my booth now. Getting closer to painting :)

RICH B likes this.
  2. Rudy Marin painted mine in his garage with an airless gun ,believe it was a sato. I bought the primer & paint. & he did it real reasonable. He removed the fenders. R boards & hood also. My wife did the stripes. I'm just a lucky guy. 17155764_10211770242953580_1667796107943540073_n.jpg DSCN5488.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The booth takes shape...
    9'x15'x 80" high so it fits under the garage door.
    Sitting on a 16'x10' canvas tarp.
    Doors and plastic, ventilation system and lights....I'll be ready to spray primer and then later paint :cool:

IMG_0872.JPG

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  4. fms427

fms427

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Painted my roof Today. Topcoat that is. Sanding, filling, priming done over several weekends.
    12 hours of prep.
    6 cans of Rust Reformer
    6 cans of Rustoleum Red Primer
    4 cans of VHT Burnt Copper Engine Paint

IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0110.JPG IMG_0112.JPG IMG_0113.JPG IMG_0105.JPG

6. CadTech

CadTech

painted my narrowed bel air dash for my '37 pickup in my garage since i don't have a booth to use anymore. Single stage antique dark brown. Autometer antique white gauges 17523083_10211482898501023_1308933137839544669_n.jpg 17795917_10211492720546568_1513043451954493526_n.jpg

7. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

BASF base/clear for the 57 Ranchero dash finished in the worlds largest paint booth.....

Attached Files:

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I started this thread, and now that I have built my booth and started painting I don't have time to update it. :D
    I have however posted a bunch of pictures on my build thread in case you want to follow along :D
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/26-t-roadster-pick-up-build-thread.460009/page-36

I had fully intended to post here as it would be nice to see this thread carry on but I'm so busy block sanding etc....
    My Fuji HVLP turbine gun is really good, as is the 3M PPS paint cup system :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

When you need a break from sanding, you can update this thread! :D

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It's so hot here his summer when I take a break from sanding it's for a cold beer ;) :D

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I won't post pictures of the boat I've been sanding on because it's so non-Hambly, but needless to say that doing glass work out in the heat is a demanding job. This was the thermometer out on my patio a week ago, where I'm basically working under an awning.
    7555.jpeg

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  12. Holy CRAP!

brad2v and loudbang like this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It isn't hot in Alberta! :rolleyes:

This is hot! :p

loudbang likes this.
  14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey 30C for days brings an extreme heat warning for us.
    I had AC installed in my house this year after 13 years without it,and we can actually use it for a few weeks :D

So yes for us in Alberta 30C is hot .

dana barlow, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  15. 4speed411

4speed411

Just sprayed the '41 last week in the pole barn, plastic sheeting hung, couple squirrel cage fans and furnace filters on the other end, wet the floor down and got her done.

Attached Files:

RockinRivi, reagen, 36 ROKIT and 5 others like this.
  16. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

That looks great.....really like the color too..

RockinRivi and loudbang like this.
  17. Just bought a 16' x 8' used enclosed cargo trailer to haul my Mysterion clone around. While waiting the several months for the Kalif DMV to send me the new registration (I don't dare call and complain or they will take a really long time to process it) I have been fixing it up. Got the body ready to paint so decided to go out at sunset to slap on a coat of poly primer last evening. Have to spray outside, trailer doesn't fit into my spray booth very well. The peak temp was only 106 yesterday in Bakersfield (was supposed to be 110) and I figure it was somewhere below 100 at painting time. I mixed up a bucket of about 50 oz of paint and started squirting. Got to my second of about 3 guns-full and it quit squirting. I am using a Harbor Freight purple gut with big needle and nozzle for primer so shouldn't be plugged. I took the top off the pot to dump the unsprayed primer and it fell out like a big piece of raw liver. Quick like a bunny I tore down the gun and dug out the rest of the paste. Tonight I think I will, a) mix smaller batches at a time and, b) chill the can of paint in the house before heading to the shop!

18. bondolero

bondolero

For the price conscious garage painter:
    • Auto Acrylic enamel is available in many colors in gals + hardener for under $100.
    • Upol makes a good primer with hardener for under a $100. I am sure there are others.
    • SPI makes a great epoxy primer for $200 that can will last as a topcoat in satin black, red, grey, white, etc. and yields 2 gallons sprayable material.
    • Harbor Freight cheap HVLP guns on sale are cheaper than buying rollers or brushes and solvent to to clean them out with.
    • Wet or dry may be 80cents a sheet, but elbow grease is FREE. Use plenty of it when prepping
    • Paint screw ups are best solved by stopping, cleaning out the gun, and sleeping on it. Several cold ones are optional but sometime helpful. MORE paint will not make the mistake better !
    • Patience is also FREE .

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Got the body and doors blocked and ready for hi build primer, then more blocking :D

IMG_0967.JPG IMG_0968.JPG IMG_0969.JPG

RockinRivi, dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-12_4-17-17.png
    Hey Montana1,
    Wow, “Moose Nose Brown…” What a great name for a great color. We were lucky as teenagers. We only had to paint one car, and it was the first one (last one) we built for the drags. At the time, we did have big plans after we got our 40 Willys out of the weeds. We saw how the body looked and decided that as we were tearing it apart, the Willys would only get a red primer, backyard, paint job.

Then after we got the car/motor all worked out and was actually racing, would we send it out to get the full upholstery and bright yellow paint applied professionally. (once the box boy money kicked in to help or the famous Long Beach "Nakamura Good Sons" scholarship program took precedence…)

We had everything in place for the final assembly and started the prep. In those days, we sanded the original, old paint and roped off the whole backyard area with plastic painter’s sheets. It looked like a disaster area, but it was functional. Living in the Westside of Long Beach, we knew exactly when the west winds would pipe up and blow towards us.

Around 1pm, we would always smell the refineries, but if the boat building shop about a mile away happened to be spraying their fiberglass particle spray gun, we could smell it distinctly.

upload_2017-7-12_4-22-38.png upload_2017-7-12_4-22-52.png 1959
    (Inquisitive neighbor visiting our converted,hot rod garage...the circle on the garage door? A bean bag throw game... as she got older, a great arm developed. A throwing direction, up, develops early long distance power, using the correct overhead throwing motion)

So, we planned on putting up the plastic early, all around the concrete pad where the Willys body and parts were sitting. It had to be finished by 1 pm when those strong winds would begin to blow. The borrowed spray gun worked much better than the original spray cans we used on the inside of the fenders. So, the whole process of two coats in every nook and cranny, was finished under wraps by 1:30 p.m.

Jnaki
    For the first time spraying, it looked pretty good. No runs or over sprays anywhere. In today’s world of car paints, the red primer is obviously a base coat, but it could be the new “Satin Finish or Frozen” paint that we all see on the wide range of cars from hot rods to huge SUV behemoths.

Prior to the body being painted, the whole frame was sanded, painted black and then wrapped to keep the red primer off. The rims were painted a spray can, flat black and we were ready for the street and drags after full assembly.

All of our later cars came with the exact color we liked and there was no need to repaint. But, it took me a month or two to accept the first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery paint as purchased. It was a “Salmon Pink,” but was sold to me as “Racer Orange” by the previous owner.

That was the reason the previous owner sold the car, he could not get over that he screwed up in the paint mixture until after he sprayed the whole car in his garage. When he drove the finished car to the drive-in restaurant parking lot, he could not get over everyone asking if it was pink.

So, he had another project in mind. He took out the big 348 motor, dropped in a simple stock Flathead and sold it to me at a great discount. Salmon Pink? Nah, it was Racer Orange. But, who cared? With the two surfboards sticking out of the back, no one complained when they saw it cruising to the surf movies and surf spots, local and far away.

upload_2017-7-12_4-24-45.png

elgringo71 and Ulu like this.
  21. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Only the firewall, frame and engine, but single stage black metallic.
    [​IMG]

22. BLUEONE. It so hot here my shop closes at 3.30 and I have a vodka and sprite drink and Sunny Girl gets her 2 dog treats and then we both take a 45 minute nap. TOO HOT LOL. Bruce. 004 (2).JPG

RockinRivi, bondolero, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  23. bondolero

bondolero

Its not a nap, think of it as a regeneration time out .:D

24. My new approach worked. Stored the paint in the house to be cool 'til ready to spray, waited 'til outside temp dropped below 100F (7pm or so), & mixed 20oz at a time. Got the whole trailer primed, no problems.

25. Bondolero.AGREED.LOL.Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  26. willys36 I wet the floor down the night before, throw a chain over the rear end.Cover up the tires.Get the exhaust fan ready and get my ass down there early before it gets too hot and wipe the car down, then tack rack it and shoot paint. Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I had this problem over and over with the polyester resin. When it's hot out it's very difficult to judge the correct amount of hardener to use. I took to keeping the resin and my epoxies in the refrigerator with the beer but that was too cold and this stuff wouldn't run.

I put them in the house and turned the air conditioner down to about 75, and that helped.

When you mix polyester resin at 100+ degrees Fahrenheit it starts to cure before you can even get it completely mixed.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 4speed411

4speed411

IMG_20170716_181411383_HDR.jpg

29. ^^^^^^^^looks great , love the red seats with the gray . Blue