Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods July 51 hop up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocket88NZ, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Have a July issue of Hop Up and I know that lots of people think that August of 51 was the first. The July has the same cover. Was just wondering does anyone know the story on this July issue and have any idea how many were actually printed as opposed to the August one. Cheers Mike.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Same content, different covers.
    Check out deuce666's site - he does fine work !

3. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

They were basically done as samples and handed out at local places. The cover usually is stamped "sample ".

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Same content, same cover except date, both say volume 1 not sure on how many of each were printed.

Mick hopup.jpg

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Uh-Oh ... CRS ...

6. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks for the pictures laker mick, I've collected all the 51 52 and 53 copies but kind of like the small books so haven't bothered with the later ones. Someone must know how many of the July ones were done?

7. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

As I researched Hop-up for the 99wspeedshop.com web site, several sources including Kustomrama indicated that the July printing was a limited run to test the market. I've not been able to find a specific number.

NW Ayer and Sons directories on magazine print volumes contained no information on Hop-Up. So neither Road & Track nor Quinn Publications submitted their sales data during the life of the magazine.

Richard

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and lurker mick like this.
  8. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Thanks Richard, guess we will never know, that just makes the whole thing more interesting to us who appreciate that stuff.

9. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Good news! I've been adding information about our hot rod and custom magazines to Wikipedia. I re-read sections of the book, The American Hot Rod by Dean Batchelor. He indicates that about 5,000 copies were printed of Hop Up for the July 1951 test run. So you've got your answer!!

10. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Bit of a delay in replying I know, Have been off line for a long time. But thanks Richard you have indeed answered the question. Cheers Mike