Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Column shift conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt50, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Matt50

Matt50

I have a 1950 chevy 3100. Im taking out the bad staight six and manual trans to drop in a 350/350.

Switching to auto, is there anyway to keep the manual shifter on the column? Is there a kit? Add a neutral safety switch? I tried to find the thread, but I feel I remember seeing where someone made it work.

I think this looks cool and want to try and keep the look of stock.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Use the OEM column and do what X38 did on his Ford. You need a vertical shaft to engage detents and some form of retainer to hold shift tube in tension. Use an OEM single linkage to hook to your transmission.
    Auto column2.jpg Auto column.jpg

302GMC likes this.
  3. I found a shift link kit at Limeworks Speed Shop for my '53 Ford, check with them.

4. Matt50

Matt50

out were able to turn your manual shift into an auto shift? Detents?

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'd sell the pickup 3 speed linkage to someone who needs it - those are scarce parts in farm country.

6. Matt50

Matt50

I don't mind selling what I don't use... if I can make stock column work I'd like too...i can pickup a 69 chevy truck column cheap with a auto shift on it...think that'll look good? Look like it goes with the truck?

Is there much of a market for stock rear axle and torque tube? Definitely don't need that in backyard lol

7. Matt50

Matt50

Are you talking about their safety linkage kit? Is that meant for what I'm wanting to do?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kugel Komponents has sold and adjustable shift arm for the trans for years that lets you set things up to match the throw of the lever on the column http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2 A couple of different lengths on the rods or you can buy just the arm for the trans. That takes a ton of "how do I do it" out of the process. They also show a neutral safety switch setup that is simple but only gives you neutral or backup and not both. It is down the page from the shift arm .

A 69 column is pretty clean in appearance If you wanted to go that way. I've got a 70 4 speed column that is going in my 48 for the clean appearance reason.

X38 likes this.
  9. Matt50

Matt50

Thanks, I'll give them a call. If I switched to the 69 column... would i need a new gearbox? Or could I cut and install u joints?