Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Tokyo Rose Tribute

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikeszcz, Jan 27, 2015.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Found one more old photo

Tokyo Rose.JPG

2. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

5 weeks to York Nostalgia Heritage Days and our meeting with George. Back in the shop working on the interior. Front carpet and door panels are done. New panels were close to $700.00 so we opted to build our own. Just a tad over $100.00 and money saved for the trip. Head liner and finish up the cargo area next week. I think we just slowed her down by a couple tenths with all the added weight.
    door panel.jpg shift boot.jpg

3. '56 150

'56 150

4. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

I'm guessing 210 by the photos and that is what we were originally shooting for, but as we get closer to the trip out east, we're looking for ways to save a few bucks for travel. From our conversations with George, he doesn't seem to be concerned that we made an exact replica. There's a lot of things we didn't get right, but we were never trying to. Right now we're trying to finish a few things so it looks a little more presentable for the show.
    rose interior.jpg int2.jpg

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Originally, a Sedan Delivery would have had the Model 150 trim/upholstery level; very basic. And, as seen in the magazine photos, a single "bucket seat" was standard equipment with a Sedan Delivery; a passenger bucket seat, or a bench seat, were both options. The headliner would have been a flannel cloth type material. NHRA did allow some "custom" changes to cars in the Stock Class, but nothing was usually done as nice as the pleated door panels/interior you've gone with. Notice in the magazine photos, the "327" stickers on the valve covers; I'll bet that was done to knock a tech official off their game, and not look at something else they really should have. Take LOTS of pics at York. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Set up day for the York Heritage Day celebration today. Plenty to see at the museum and many forms of racing represented. Really a neat place! It was a treat to meet Mr. Cureton today and receive his approval on our project. George is a class act guy and we can't thank him enough for his help during the build and his help getting us to York. Here are a few photos from today. I'll try to keep them HAMB friendly and start with a picture of George and I and the Rose in the Museum.
    gam.jpg DSC04977.JPG

7. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

More pictures from today.
    DSC04886.JPG DSC04887.JPG DSC04888.JPG DSC04889.JPG DSC04893.JPG DSC04894.JPG DSC04895.JPG DSC04907.JPG DSC04908.JPG DSC04909.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

And a few more....

Attached Files:

9. Very cool, Mike
    Tell George I said he's not too old to be racing ,still.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

A very Special Event for cars that were part of drag racing history for sure.

Jimbo

loudbang likes this.
  11. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Thanks for posting the pictures Mike.

KickinAsphalt likes this.
  12. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Mark,
    We're working on him! We're going to try and put him in the car at Beaver Springs on Sunday. Wayne and George don't remember ever racing each other and it's my goal to change that.

13. Post that picture!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  14. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

More pictures. The early rain may have scared a few away but not all.
    DSC04980.JPG DSC04981.JPG DSC04982.JPG DSC04979.JPG DSC04983.JPG DSC04984.JPG DSC04985.JPG DSC04986.JPG DSC04987.JPG DSC04988.JPG DSC04989.JPG DSC04990.JPG DSC04991.JPG DSC04992.JPG DSC04993.JPG DSC04978.JPG

15. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

16. Mike, saw your car at EMMR today. I thot it was terrific in your pix, but it's absolutely awesome in person. I wanted to tell you that while I was there, but you were being kept pretty busy. Did you ever get the chance to sit down?:) Thanks so much for bringing it East. I'm sure you made a lot of people real happy.:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  17. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Thank You! You should have grabbed me. We'll be at Beaver Springs tomorrow and we may have George talked into driving. Should make for some great pictures! Everyone here has been great and we've been treated like royalty! Thank you to everyone we've talked to and the whole EMMR staff. It has been a blast and only looks to get better tomorrow.

We're sure they were voting for George today, but we'll take it.
    DSC05030.JPG

18. Skiroule69

Skiroule69

Wasn't the Ronca Bros. Mooneshine (before a sign painter covered the 'e' with the exploding bottle!) '56 Chev originally all white? I've only ever seen black and white pics of it.

loudbang likes this.
  19. I believe it was . I think I only saw it once. I think they parked it in 72 , rather than moving to S/S with it. Seems like Tommy bought it back a few years ago?

loudbang likes this.
  20. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Long story short, there should be a lot of film coverage from this weekend. Film crew from France recorded a lot from York and Beaver including interviews from the Gunning Bro's, George and many others and the first ever meeting of the Yoo Hoo Too car and the Tokyo Rose (neither could remember running each other). Will post a few more pictures after some rest. George Drove all day today until we developed some tranny woes. I'm not sure who enjoyed the day more....he or I!
    Yoo Hoo.jpg

21. Mike, Make sure that pic gets on the Junior Stock thread.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Yes it was. I'll put a picture over on the Junior Stock thread.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

Who ever caught this.....Thanks!

24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I would love to have been there to watch ALL the Tri-Five cars race. The YOO HOO TOO and Tokyo Rose cars (trucks) look and sound beautiful! Maybe one day I'll make this event, maybe. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

25. loudbang

loudbang

As the kids say TOTALLY AWESOME.

chryslerfan55 and enloe like this.
  26. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

27. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

Nice! Also sending a BIG THANK YOU for getting him IN that car!

28. KickinAsphalt

KickinAsphalt
    from Pa

29. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

We hurt the turbo 350 in York. Buddy Billy and the crew from Minnesota are on their way down to the Meltdown in Byron with the old trusty Powerglide. We should be running this afternoon.
    tranny.jpg