Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Swap Meet Setup Do's and Don'ts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, Jun 25, 2017.

1. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

At the big indoor swap meet at the Toronto International Center I had two vintage car models stolen from my vending tables. I have a lot of vintage original car parts for sale that are all nicely painted or polished and there is almost always a crowd around my tables.I was probably busy selling parts to someone and when I wasn't looking, the car models walked off into the crowd.Nothing infuriates me more than someone stealing from me. I can fully understand from Nick's previous post why that guy at the Hershey swap got the hell beat out of him for trying to steal that Cadillac carburetor. I have had a couple of other incidents with Model A gas caps where people have tried to conceal the gas cap in the palm of their hand, but I was right there watching and these people knew right well I was watching them, and the gas cap was put back on the table. One of the guys trying to walk off with my Model A gas cap was a well known hot rod builder and sheet metal fabricator. I was just shocked that someone like this would resort to theft. Another well known hot rod builder that I used to do swap meets with and lives not that far from me ended up stealing parts from me as well. At the Toronto swap meet you drive your truck inside the building, unload and then park your vehicle outside in the parking lot. When the swap meet is over you pack up your unsold parts and then go back outside to get your truck and come back inside the building to load back up. I had a Red Indian oil can that didn't sell and is a real find just to get one in excellent condition. I had that oil can on the top of one of my boxes and went out to the parking lot to get my truck. When I got back to my swap space I noticed the oil can was missing. After a few minutes of looking around I noticed that very same oil can in the back of this well known hot rod builder's truck partly concealed with a towel over top of it. In front of all the guys that I swapped with that day I go over to this guy's truck and calmly retrieve my Red Indian oil can and not saying a word about it to anyone. I look over at this well known hot rod builder and he is 50 shades of red. Needless to say we don't do any swap meets with this guy anymore. To try and prevent any more items from walking away from the vending tables I have started to tie up parts with clear fishing line and attach the line to a screw at the rear of the table. I find that you have to let people physically handle the parts or you won't sell anything. Glass cases for small parts keep parts safe but you sell almost nothing out of them. People have to handle and look at your parts. In the old car hobby I would say that 99% of the guys and gals are honest, and are a great group of people, but there is always that one idiot out there that ruins it for everyone by trying to steal something from you.

els and arkiehotrods like this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Too bad you can't be bothered to 'out' the thief(s). Just how the hell is anybody else to know who to watch out for?
    Same deal w/the xxxshop ripped me off... etc.
    Rant done.
    Marcus...

els likes this.
  3. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I only have one DON'T!!!!! Don't stand in the middle of the aisle, traffic lane, walkway, whatever you want to call it, and have your conservations, union meetings, prayer services, appointment with your parole officer; just get the h*ll out of everyone's way!!! I cannot believe how dumb, stupid, completely moronic, some rectal prolapses are. If you've heard "excuse me", more than TWELVE times, maybe you ought to move your dumb *ss out of the way. I do hope you know who you are. That's all I've got. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

els, slowmotion, Chavezk21 and 11 others like this.
  4. Interesting takes on all this.
    I've been selling off and on and the Swaps for 40 years. I generally don't price much of anything. I tried it a few times and sold LESS. Maybe it was coincidence, maybe not - who knows. BUT I do know what I want for my stuff, and I pay attention. Someone picks up somethings I try and "Read" them. If it seems like they are too shy to ask, I might say "That ought to be worth Ten Bucks" to engage them. Other times I will wait for them to ask and I answer immediately with what I want. I don't hem and haw around. Seems to work for me.

I am always amazed at the people who will look at a trinket, a small item, I'll say Two Bucks - and they put it back. Really, not an offer, two bucks is too much? I reckon those folks never really wanted it - if your not really interested, don't pick up my Junk! My wife won't let e help on garage sales anymore because we get people that look at my old Levi's for instance. Good condition, just a bit worn, but not holy or anything. She'll say $5.00 (or whatever) and they'll say "How Bout a quarter?" - I tell em to get the fuck out of my yard - so no more garage selling for me.

As for other buyers buying my stuff before the swap opens - I really don't care, I come to sell and a Bird in the Hand as they say. Example - I was setting up at Pomona. It was about 5:00 am, guy walks up and says how much for that Turbo 400 - $200. Says I'll take. Agrees to buy a couple of other things then all of a sudden says "How much for Everything?" I said "WHAT?" he says "all of it" I said $1500, says "I'll take it if you'll deliver" so I'm thinking shit he probably lives two hours away, but said "where too?". He says "two rows over". I about passed out. I pack it all in my van, drive it over, we unload, as his wife is asking prices. I'm home and in bed before 8:00 - the wife wakes up and says "Thought you were going to the swap meet", "I tell her I did, sold everything" she didn't believe me until I showed her the dough. The point of the story though is I see the guy a year or so later and he still has some of it - so I probably wouldn't have sold it all either and would have tossed it out and made nothing. I'm sorry but I don't really care Who buys it. If the guy tries to jack it up too much the market will dictate whether or not it sells.

els, slowmotion, Drunk Man and 8 others like this.
  5. lostmind

lostmind

I've been doing swaps for 50 plus years. Tried it all.

It can't be figured out.

Whatever will happen , does

Be fair , be courteous.

It takes care of itself.

els, The37Kid, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  6. If there is no price tag I usually don't ask unless it is something I really need. The emotional buy (things I don't need but think it is cool and would look good a shelf) a price tag at least lets me know if I am in the ballpark.

els likes this.
  7. jim snow

jim snow

Good stuff. Snowman

els likes this.
  8. How could I have forgotten this in my post??!! This is ABSOLUTELY the biggest PITA for me as a buyer. I'm trying to cover as much territory as possible, and am usually on a laser parts focus like a hound on a pork chop. Take the BS to the parking lot, or learn how to walk and talk at the same time!
    Lord have mercy!

9. Butch, You reminded me.
    I had a connection for the oldies cassette tapes like you used to see in the truck stops.
    I sold them at the World of Wheels, etc. I had them in bin boxes of about 50, propped up so people could read the labels.
    People would stop, pick up a tape, read the back, then put them back down , upside down and backwards! After a rush , I'd have to straighten them all out again. How stupid would you have to be to do that to a merchant?
    Anyway , I'd watch the aisle, and if I saw a bunch of bikers coming my way, I'd grab the Steppenwolf demo and pop it in , quick. Always good for a sale or two!

els likes this.
  10. Little books always attract a crowd and always sell.

els likes this.
  11. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Came up with a interesting concept 3 years ago that works so well it still amazes me.
    I usually end up with 5 to 8 18 gallon totes full of stuff that I used to throw away after parting a car or 3 or have had sitting around for years and just want to clean up the shop. I am only doing 2-3 swaps a year these days.
    At a swap I set out the totes off to one side with a tag board sign stating the year and make of the parts and that any part is $1.00
    There are some decent parts in the bins along with fluff stuff. Good but common items along with broken radios,junk carbs,lots of small parts and pitted trim.Items I tried to get $5-10 for years with no success.Nothing is tagged as it's only a buck.
    The parts fly out of there.On a good day I have done as much as $200 on items I was going to trash.
    People will dig through and keep asking..."Only a buck for this?"
    Often it's other vendors who call me crazy for selling stuff for a buck. After I see them set out the same stuff 6 swaps later that they bought from me for a dollar and marked up to $10 and it hasn't sold I'm thinking who's crazy now?

els and Fedcospeed like this.
  12. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

My main gripe is: buyers that do not know what the parts they " are searching for" , look like. Old radiator out of my 1962 Falcon... Guy looks at it & asks: That fit a 48 chevy half ton truck?

13. Fordors

Fordors

I have a stock answer for that question-Sure, it's universal, fits 'em all.

els and Jalopy Joker like this.
  14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I like to say "you got a welder, doncha?"

els likes this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

All of these are good.The one that is a PITA are the band of people that stand in front of your spot and carry on a conversation ,blocking others from seeing your stuff. Some of this should be listed as they walk in the gate.

els, Donuts & Peelouts, pat59 and 2 others like this.
  16. Oilguy

Oilguy

As a buyer, I like to see things tagged with some sort of ID and price. My complaints are exactly as 48 just stated; the vendors buddies who gather in front of the booth or table just to BS about the good old days and you can't even see what the vendor has for sale. Also, I decided last year I will no longer go to the Portland swap at PIR; getting too old to dodge the scooters, ATVs, golf carts and the friggen bicyles. But I really enjoy the one at the Expo.

els, 48fordnut and ClarkH like this.
  17. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

I was just gonna mention that. Sometimes that crowd is people that know me. I am wiggling all over inside trying to say politely to get the hell away from the front of my space.People stop to gab but i really cant when the crowd is heavy. its huge to keep the front and such for people looking at your stuff. A 20 minute BS session could cost you money.If you are just talking and someone looks interested in something, pay attention to the interested one and politely excuse yourself. Alot of these instances talked about here have to do with which side of the situation you are at ,at that time..buying or selling.Put yourself in their shoes. Now,dont get me started on those electric mobile scooter things........

els and 48fordnut like this.
  18. You assume they can read!
    I have politely asked people to please move along more than once. Yeah I get attitude sometimes, but I don't care, I'm there to sell stuff, not to listen to a bunch of BS.

els, 48fordnut and partsdawg like this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Carry a good canvas swap bag with a measuring tape, calipers and snack food.

Nothing worse than losing valuable searching time by standing in a long line for swap meet food.

els and Jalopy Joker like this.
  20. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Sometimes,once in a while,during a blue moon or other zodiac alignments I might leave a hard to find part without a price. 3 times a part set out with no tag has been picked up and looked at by a buyer who proceeds to tell me how rare they are and how he has been looking for 20 years for one of them.
    You can guess how the pricing gets rearranged mentally at that point.
    Buying and selling at a swap is often a poker game. Some folks don't have a poker face.

els likes this.
  21. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Table at the rear of your booth full of "garage" junk like oil filters, air filters, odds and ends with a big FREE take one only sign. Gets the shoppers to walk thru all your stuff. :rolleyes:
    Plus it cleans out your garage and makes more room for your swap meets finds !!

els likes this.
  22. southerncad

southerncad

We set all of our stuff up in front of our spaces, tagged well, and have our chairs, a table with our food, and a bar-b-q, and ice chest in the back, AND SO since we are also talking about stuff that is rude, how about the guys that walk right through your space, around you stuff to get to the next row over....

els, 48fordnut and Montana1 like this.
  23. ssrodder

ssrodder
    from NE PA

I have found setting up my tables long ways.- two bumped up against each other works for me. Four all together. I always place something that shines toward the front. Seems it brings most people to a stop, if just for a second. Then they might find something else they want or need. Almost never sell any items that are on the ground, unless they are big like a bumpers, fenders, or hoods.

els and Montana1 like this.
  24. 1940Willys

1940Willys

We didn't see too much swapmeet stuff at that Erie County Fair Grounds Meet this past week end anyway. It must have been tucked away in some buildings. Granted we went there for the car show so our focus wasn't swap meet stuff. How did this compare to the swap meet venue part at the Island Amusement park thingie? Would you have rather had drippy candy apple and cotton candy drooled on yer swap stuff?

els likes this.
  25. HOTRODDICKIE

HOTRODDICKIE

Coming fro the U.K. When I attend US swap meets, what really pisses me is that all the good stuff never has a price, if someone can't be bothered to put what they want, I will assume they expect twice what it is worth and walk on to the next stall.
    Same with folks that advertise a vehicle POA well put it in an auction then if you just want the highest price someone us prepared to pay rather than a sensible price you think it is worth.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

els likes this.
  26. greenie-reddy

greenie-reddy
    from maryland

Two comments. At Hershey, we have an extra space that gets used to park our tow vehicle, a pickup truck. We take several bins of small parts, pre-priced at $5-$20. We drop the tailgate and set out the boxed with a self/service sign. Drop your $$$ in the front window. Some days we do $100 or so, and rarely does anything go missing. In our regular spaces, with more expensive stuff- you have to watch everyone carefully- like you have a cute 15 year old daughter.
    When we shop, if a seller has something priced stupid low, I like to give him a few extra bucks. It's good training for my son and ultimate replacement.
    Swap meets are all about having fun and there should be no "loser". And if you're really grumpy- stay home!

els, 48fordnut, Montana1 and 3 others like this.
  27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

[/QUOTE] SAM_4643.JPG don't set up on asphalt on 100 degree days

els, Phillips and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

We're at Hershey Tuesday till Saturday so having our own Port A John has been fixture for will over 30 years now, little over a hundred bucks. Saves time and when the kids were little very convent. Bob

els and 48fordnut like this.
  29. oldolds

oldolds

Something I forgot to post earlier. At a big swap meet like Hershey. Take something for the woman to look at. At Hershey I have a 30x30 foot space. I usually have one 30"x30" card table full of cheap jewelry. Avon stuff. Get it for near nothing at auctions. Price it at $5 or less. Place it in a front corner. A woman will spend 45 minutes looking at it before she gives her man "the look". He get time to look. And that table is usually empty before the meet is done.

els, Donuts & Peelouts and The37Kid like this.
  30. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

With Hershey coming up quick, I needed to bump this. Lots of info here and my spot will be set up differently this year.

els likes this.