Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What is the best bedliner to use as undercoating?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Apr 27, 2016.

1. BJR

BJR

OK so I did a search for the best undercoating to use. Most suggested bedliner as the best product to use as undercoating. I need to do something to the underside of my 49 Buick. The body will be off the frame to make it easier. What spray on bedliner should I use? I will spray it myself.

2. i have used both SEM and UPOL both worked fine. only thing i don't like about it is they are too shiny.

3. willymakeit

willymakeit

I cant offer a good one. Used the one sold by Oreilly's and it looks to be a mistake. It is peeling off. Truck has been kept inside so no exposure to elements.

4. indyjps

indyjps

UPOL Raptor, I've sprayed it in a few trucks, it's in my daily driver bed now for 7 years no fading, chalking, and the only thing that beat it up was dragging steel tube in and out, hell that will scratch concrete.
    UPOL also make a similar coating called gravitex with a finer texture, and made to be topcoated. I shot this on the bottom of current OT project. PPG DP90, gravitex, then urethane over it. The topcoat is overkill, bit I wanted even paint color on the body, suspension etc.

tb33anda3rd likes this.

5. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I'd worry about anything like that which could hold moisture.

6. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always use wurth sks stone guard. It is an undercoat, not a bed liner and it can also be top coated. It goes on super nice and even with the correct gun.

rockable likes this.
  7. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

+1 for wurth, if you dont know it looks like the stuff under Mercedes and BMW , generally painted body colour after it dries. (water clean up)

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Any will do a good job, if they are the 2 part ones, undercoat and hardener. I stay away from the single can type, they never seem to dry, stay sticky, soft.

9. I can not give a name offhand, but I bought rattle can bed liner at Lowes in 2009 and sprayed bottom and top of the floors. Then had to do a little welding on the inside, a brace we forgot. The darn stuff only "burned" off about an inch from the weld. Touched it up and went on down the road. I can not vouch for the interior as I have not had the carpet up. Underneath is all intact. The car has been driven over 10,000 miles. Good syuff.

Ben

10. Use actual flexible undercoating. It is nothing like the crap sold as add-ons in the 60s and 70s.

11. BJR

BJR

What about Body Schults

spikeshotrods likes this.
  12. Just fine. that is the stuff I prefer. BTW, it is Shutz

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me in the Shutz camp too. Dries hard, stays put, cleans up nice too when you want to show off a bit. In restoration many "wartime" cars (40-47) had an asphalt undercoat applied on most of the floor, I always replace it with Shutz if it's a body off job. Won't get all brown from dirt and heat, more like rubber than undercoat.

14. prpmmp

prpmmp

Prep is everything!! What is recommended? Sand blasting would probably be best but not easy! Removing all dirt and grease(duh),sanding 40 grit for bite? Pete

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have used 3M Body Shults on floors and fenders since it came out. Stays flexible and doesn't tend to peal. Little pricey but has worked for me. Also paintable.

16. BJR

BJR

The whole under side of my Buick is covered in surface rust. How should I prep it for Body Shutz?

17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't use undercoating. All it does is hold moisture.

Gary

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Normally my floors and fenders are clean and epoxy primed for Body Shults. I've never had a problem with rust out or peeling.

19. One time I tried an asphalt crack sealer for driveways on the underside of the hood on an off topic ride. Didn't smell too bad and after the truck turned into a Wisconsin rot box, the underside of that hood looked brand new. I don't think I would do it again, but that particular product worked great.

20. BJR

BJR

Just a follow up, I ended up using Body Shutz. I worked great and looks good. Thanks to all that replied.

21. bondolero

bondolero

I use UPOL Chip Guard, nice even texture and paints over nicely. Same as above for painting rockers, etc
    on new cars with textured protection. Their brands are usually cheaper than the major US brands.

22. ChefMike

ChefMike

3 M Shultz I have used it a few times does a nice job and it does harden as I heard people say it stays soft I haven't found that to be the case. it protects well

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing non-catalyzed, if you are sticking with bed liner.

I like UPol Raptor inside of trunks of street cars. If you are actually going to use it as a car, it keeps things from getting messed up very nicely.

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

So I was at harbor freight with my 20% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket. Bought a gallon of bedliner, 40 semolians. Rolled it on some beat up trailer fenders, didn't try to even up the finish much. Hard as a bear's dick today. Reviews are great, we'll see. I'll probably at least do the bed of my hot rod, and try not to keep going.

https://m.harborfreight.com/124-fl-oz-iron-armor-black-truck-bed-coating-60778.html

1015180812.jpg