Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Man what happened? I was pondering a 5 speed for the 36

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I wonder how you check? Cadillac only used the stick on the really early 331's. Not sure how that would translate to a later block? The early blocks had a bellhousing cast onto them. Not so with the later ones.

2. 31Apickup

31Apickup

You can look into the MY6 A833 that came in Chevy pickups, its a 4 speed with 4th being OD and same gear ratios as a 700r4.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

motion guru and loudbang like this.
  3. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bendsten's makes adapters as well that basically adapt the Cadillac to common Chevy stuff. That is what I picked up for my Cadillac 390/T5 Model A project. I don't have it on the road, but looks to be well made.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/cad_early.htm

loudbang and 30TudorSedan like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

That may be what I have to do. Unlike Johnny Cash, I was trying to avoid adapter kits.....

Stormtron and loudbang like this.
  5. cretin

cretin

@Roothawg Thats funny, I was looking up trans stuff for my Cadillac last night, and was planning on asking you what trans you were going to run today.
    I have a S10 T5, but I'm wondering if I should run it or not. I'm not building a drag car, but I won't baby it either.
    I was looking at TKO's, but the price isn't attractive.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This olds flywheel cam off a 455 out of a jet boat.
    I could go to the parts store and match it up with the cad flex plate.

loudbang likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The olds is 166 tooth and 14 inch

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  8. earlymopar

earlymopar

I’m going through the same issues with my poly 318. I felt I could afford the stuff I wanted but I couldn't justify the prices. Of course, working to get something for less money is part of the fun to a lot of us. Part of it depends a lot on how much time you have. I did almost daily searches on craigslist and found a $35 aluminum flywheel and had it resurfaced for another $35. I bit the bullet on the clutch and picked up a SPEC clutch and pressure plate. I found a used Mustang WC T-5 for $400 and an aluminum bell housing for $100. I made my own T-5 adapter. I picked up a slave cylinder from Speedway Motors for $35 and a clutch master also from Speedway for about the same price (I didn’t want to use an internal hydraulic slave so mine is a push-type mounted on the T-5). I found and S10 tail shaft housing and top plate in a local Pick & Pull for $27. I’m just finishing up my cross member fabrication (TransAdapt off of eBay for $53). Then I’ll be sending my T-5 out for a performance rebuild and dimensions out to the local driveshaft shop. There are several companies that offer multiple levels of performance rebuilds over a factory transmission. I’ll be running close to 500 hp so am going for a pretty hefty rebuild. Using your own transmission core saves another $1600 on the transmission versus buying a new performance T-5. Everything I have read pretty much agrees that the T-5 shifts much better than the TKOs do. TKOs are apparently much beefier to begin with but I’ll be less in cost and have just as much or more hp/torque capability when I’m finished with my T-5.

• EM

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    deuceman32, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Roothawg I feel your pain. I dont know exactly what you are doing but had you thought of the very common all synchro 3 speed Chevy pick up trans? They used them up through the mid 80s. I have 3 here and think I paid 50 dollars for one,the others were free for taking what was left of the truck.I have abused lots of them horribly with no problem.If you want one you are welcome to it.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I want overdrive, if I am gonna suffer through all this.

ls1yj and loudbang like this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I doubt they would even have one for the 331,365,390 in stock. I have one though.

loudbang likes this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I will have them order one in.....no problem.

loudbang likes this.
  13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good because I don't actually have one. I just have the other ring hootis that bolts on. I just thought I had one.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have a 58 lb, steel Chevy (Hayes) flywheel for a sbc. I can'y imagine there being a lot of difference. I'll line the holes up with the flange I have and see if the bolt pattern is the same.

loudbang likes this.
  15. punkmxcn

punkmxcn

Do these newer transmissions out of LS series motors bolt up easily to an early model 350? I'm running a 383 in my 31 ford and want to go to manual but again that price of the TKO600 is pretty high. Not sure if this is a straight yes or no question. But hey, we are all here to learn something.

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Installing manual transmissions is not cheap or easy. Thats why the majority of streetrods run automatics. You have to pay to play. We all know hot rods have three pedals.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    punkmxcn, RHRH3P and rjones35 like this.
  17. The T5 with a full-boogie WC-plus rebuild will get you to about a 420 ft-lb rating, and cost nearly as much as a TKO, so there's little economy to be found there. The T56 is a little stouter at about 450 ft-lbs and good used examples can be found for reasonable prices but bellhousings are the issue here. There's also the Richmond 5 speed, but it's even more money. But most of these do show up on the used market, so some careful shopping might yield dividends...

You might also consider some truck trans; Ford, GM and Mopar all have heavy-duty 5-speeds in their over-1/2-ton trucks, those may be worth a look. The one in my '89 F250 seems to have a decent gear spread, and Ford used it behind the 460 so it must be reasonably stout. Not a trans that seems to lend itself to speed-shifting, but it shifts OK.

ls1yj likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Manual should be more efficient than an Auto?

Anyways, don't go looking for just the tranny...here's what I did for my kids car...scoured the salvage auctions for '93-'03 Camaros...wound up with a wrecked Z/28 with an LS1, T56...and everything to put it in her ride...bonus?...1600...ya, had to make a 12 hour day of heading out to get it and bring it home...but geesh, if I just had the tranny, I'd then be hunting pedals, etc...would have cost me more than the 12 hours I spent getting it...I should be able to offset some of the cost with the interior and other parts...once I get done pick'in it apart;)

Tim and punkmxcn like this.
  19. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the TKO-600 and all the crap to mate it to an early Pontiac. I just closed my eyes, wrote the check and pretended it didn't hurt. I have 4K in it easy. I have built whole entire cars for that much money.

You could get into a regular 4 speed for way cheaper, but then you would need an aftermarket overdrive, which is 2500 bucks....

Or, you could do the regular 4 speed plus a quick change for maybe 1500...

Or, you can do the T-5 and drive it like a grown up and it will be OK, or keep a spare if you ever want to lean on it with a set of slicks....

Or, you can puss out and buy the automatic adapter from Speedway and put a TH350 behind it....

Damn old cars, I hate em...

-Abone.

20. coast40

coast40

A U-Pull-It near me wants $130 for transmissions including core charge. Might be an option for a common trans. I hear tell some yards have half price days. I loved the $10 All You Can Carry Days when I was pulling spindles!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Never gonna happen...

deuceman32, punkmxcn and cretin like this.
  22. punkmxcn

punkmxcn

That's what I'm thinking... I've already got the pedal set up for my 31, really just weighing the costs from finding a Craigslist/eBay 5/6 speed or just buying it new...I've seen them about 1,100-1,800. Some with everything, some just the trans. Guess I'll keep looking... '93-'03 Z-28s with LS1, T56.
    Any reason you stuck with those years?

23. Recently I've been watching both TKO's and T-56's on the auction site and seen a few low mile for under a grand.
    But with the torque of the Caddy, do you really need a 5 speed? Put in a Super T-10 or a Top Loader 4 speed Ford and a bit taller gear and Bob's yer Uncle!

Roothawg and punkmxcn like this.
  24. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

you can find used TKO500/600 on OT fox body websites. I've been offered one for a grand. I would wait for what you want.

punkmxcn likes this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

They aren't any cheaper.....overdrive is your friend.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My neighbor had a Mustang WC 5 speed tranny for the Ford pickup he was building. As he 'ran outa gas', he offered me the WC tranny if I would do brakes on his grandson's Chevy van!
    Rotors turned nicely at .005", Raybestos pads were gotten for my garage discount and the kits for the calipers (I do it all or not at all) were $7.50 or so, each...
    Van was pretty clean, so everything went according to plan.
    Marshal GAVE me the WC 5 speed, so I'm still looking for an S10 cover and 'stick forward'...

NOT going behind my 406, (a R.A.T. heavy 3 spd toploader goes there...with a Jeep tower, and a 32" CANE shift stick... just like the 'old days'...)
    What shall I use the 5 speed in? NOT my cooool '47 taildragger...with the skirts I just found!!! Column shift...my choice of engines...maybe my Olds, with BOP bellhousing.
    BOP housing has Ford footprint, will take a heavy duty top loader 3 speed, so column shift is connected to the tranny with the STOCK '47 RODS!
    Ratio choice is the thing, 3.54s keep you 'in town'... Olds has torque to turn 2.73s, but you lose that 'surprise' of a fat 'Semi-Custom of the late '40s style hole-shotting the local Camaro pilots...
    Decisions, decisions.
    So many cars, so little time.:p:D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  27. punkmxcn

punkmxcn

I Might as well wait that extra 2-3 months to save the difference for spanking new tko 600... I know what I'm getting and the conditions it is in.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The four speed and a quick change isn't an aweful idea

29. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Transmissions are not cheap anymore. I used Ford Toploader gears in a Jeep T-176 case, then made an adapter to add a Gear Vendors OD behind that. It really works well, but I didn't really save any money in the process. BUT, I got what I wanted.