Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Transmission slip yoke fit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hyvolt, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Needing some input from the brain trust here.

I have a 50 Mercury borg warner od transmission ( with complete rebuilt) with a slip yoke tailshaft. I bought a new yoke from dana spicer ( 16 spline shaft) and it is advertised in thier catalog with an od of 1.5 inch( it is actually 1.502). When i get it, i go to install it and it only slides in about an inch before it gets tight. I can force it in, but then the trans doesn't turn easy by hand. The old yoke measures 1.498 and goes in fine. Can i expect the new yoke to wear in the tailshaft bushing and not tear anything up? I cant use the old yoke. Because of its odd size u joint to modern joints.[​IMG]

2. I do not see any marks on the new yoke to indicate it is binding in the bushing. the old yoke has a seal wear groove just outside of the shield. I would think that the yoke is binding on the splines from ? rust or wear. This would require you to remove the tailshaft housing and clean the splines.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. ^^^ What he said. Sounds like binding on the splines.

4. I would lean toward oversize on the OD of that slip yoke, because 1.498 is the correct OD.
    It appears you are trying to go to 1310 series. If you have a good slip yoke for a Chevy 16 spline output three speed, or Powerglide, it has the same dimensions.

5. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

That is what i bought, a yoke for powerglide. I cant seem to find the place its binding. What do you think i could use to clean up the internal splines on the new yoke? Im starting to think this part missed deburring before it was shipped because it has sharp edges everywhere. Thinking maybe the splines are the same way?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If it was binding on the splines it wouldn't make it hard to turn.
    I would look at the bushing.

Sixhundred sixteen likes this.
  7. The splines should be hardened, so filing will prove to be somewhat difficult.
    Spline binding is to the inside, like if you had rust buildup. Binding in the ID of the bushing will provide difficulty in turning. The slip yoke should have some fluid clearance between it and the bushing, because the bushing is nothing but a guide that also helps maintain the ball bearing in the output shaft, forward of the slip yoke splines.

8. Would it be possible to remove the tailhousing to check the splines to the shaft, and the slip OD to the bushing ID?

9. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

It may come down to trans removal in order to figure this out. I looked up the rear bushing on Vanpelts web site and it only lists the od of the bushing. Lists it at 1.625, which would give it a 1/16 thickness for a 1.5 id. So with everyones input im leaning towards the oversize in the yoke as the problem. Now to call dana and ask them if the oversize is correct for that part

10. Discontinued 2-3-1221x is what pops into my mind. I'll bet the folks at Dana Tech don't have notes on this item any more. Mike might....:cool:
    And I was wrong, it is the 2-3-1331x. 1.500 ground outside. According to J300P Slip yoke section dated October 1994.

11. And I just had one more thought on this subject.
    An engine machine shop with a crankshaft grinder may be able to grind the barrel correctly.
    I would suggest trying the spline on a spare output shaft if you have one, and inspect the bushing.
    You may be able to use the bushing in National 5200, which fits a TH350 and others.

12. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I did order the 1331x yoke, but it measures the 1.502. So, I'm going to contact dana tomorrow and see if it is and oversight, or i need to have it turned down by a local shop. I still would like to know the id of the tail shaft bushing so as to know how far to turn it down to include oil clearance[​IMG]

13. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

After contacting dana this morning, they said their spec for that part are 1.502 - 1.504. I didn't see that anywhere on their website, but oh well. I'm taking it to have it cut down today. How far down should i have it cut? Back to1.5 or to 1.498 like the old one?
    Thanks again fellas. This kinda help make traditional hot rods more fun!

14. 1.500 for your ground diameter is what the J300P says.

15. FWIW, the slip yoke adapter sleeve that the Axiline press-up machine and balancer uses for this GM application is marked 1.500.

16. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I dropped the yoke off yesterday at a local shop, and he said he could have it polished down by 4 today. I met the shop owner, and they do alot of custom work. Nice people, glad i got to meet them.
    MMT in Jonesburg Missouri.

patrick2965 likes this.
  17. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Picked up finished yoke today. Polished up perfect. Problem solved, slid in perfect. Thanks again for the help

patrick2965 likes this.
  18. I like the line I use at the job I've been working at for almost 2 years.
    What do I know, I'm just the rookie parts guy.....? And other than that, I don't know nothing....