Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1940 Ford Truck VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DannyK, Jul 12, 2017.

1. DannyK

DannyK

Hey guys my name is Danny new guy to this forum. I was hopping to get some one to tell me if the title i got for my 1940 ford truck is a good one. I got the truck 13 years a go as a gift and titled it in my name here in MO. The title i have says the vin is 6047311. Now the truck has a v8 in it and i was wondering witch one it is? The last owner was my Grandfather who had the truck for about 28 to 30 years before i got it 13 years ago. Guys thanks for your help DSC02659.JPG

slim38 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yours should be similar:
    [​IMG]
    You will note that some/all are partially or completely obscured by bodywork.

3. DannyK

DannyK

Thanks but does this number 6047311 look like a 1940 ford truck vin? I looked it up on a couple different web sits and i just dont understand how it works.

4. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

If the title is in your name you should be good to go in Mo., if it isn´t you will have to have it verified
    by local law enforcement. Been there and done that half dozen times.

5. albertaboy

albertaboy

By the hood trim, this is a 41 truck.

6. albertaboy

albertaboy

Are you reading from the frame? Is the serial number clearly stamped or are you guessing at some of the numbers? ie -is that 6 actually a G?

Here is a link if you didnt already have this.
    http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm

Then I can add that my Canadian 40 pickup is different that what the VanPelt page described. Your truck being formerly Canadian is a possibility?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  7. DannyK

DannyK

I am reading it off the title that is in my name. that was put in my name 13 years ago i have not been able to find the vin stamp on the frame yet its pretty dirty been sitting the last 40 some odd years.

8. albertaboy

albertaboy

Fair enough. I edited my last post just as you posted this. It will take some scrubbing then, good eyes and light but number should be near the steering box. Mistakes we're easily made especially pre-computor days if your title is that old. you could have numbers missing and the wrong year. That hood trim makes it a 1941. Nice project to get on the road with your family history there. Have fun. Cheers.

9. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That vin shows it to be a 41.
    1941 Ford V8 - 90hp
    18-5,896,295 to 18-6,769,035
    My 38 doesn't show the 18- in front of the other digits either.

10. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. !940 fords did not have vin numbers. They had serial numbers. Vin numbers did not begin until around the 1960's. that hood trim is definitely 1941. Jimmie

11. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sorry, serial numbers is what i meant. Oh and nice truck.

12. DannyK

DannyK

what are some of the other differences between a 1940 and 1941 so i can make sure its a 41

13. There's always one guy who has to bring up the VIN vs serial number thing. It's silly and pedantic. Technically, the serial number identifies the vehicle, so a serial number is a vin, though it is not a VIN as defined by the gubment. Semantics, really and does nothing to answer your question. Fortunately, 99.9% of the people here know what you're talking about

PONTNAK123 and slim38 like this.
  14. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Yes, a VIN is simply a serial number with a bunch of codes added by Gov requirement to indicate what plant, country of origin, exact engine version, whether it has the illuminated ashtray option, etc. When all is said and done, it remains a number unique to a particular vehicle.

And back on topic...your number correlates with a 1941 221 V8 powered vehicle. If it hasn't been messed with, it has a serial on the left forward frame rail (not always in the expected place) and if trans is original, a number in top area of trans bellhousing right above the little tin covered port. That is actually the primary number and it is almost always very clearly stamped. That was put on when engine/trans assembly passed inspection at the Rouge engine factory...when the engine got to an assembly plant, they read off that number and stamped it (hastily and crudely sometimes) on the frame it was installed in. The trans number should actually be 18-your number, with the 18 simply identifying it as a 221.

15. Nice truck. Buy the little book "Two Great Trucks" by Howard Towne. Covers 40 and 41 and their differences.

My 41 serial number is very clearly stamped on the frame rail at the front crossmember. Your number looks like a 41 with V-8.

FWIW, mine was a 6 cylinder originally, and had an odd alpha prefix and low number.
    I found out truck six cylinder was introduced in '41 and numbered separately from V-8's.

16. metalman

metalman

Does it have a matching emblem on the dash that matches the hood emblems? Does the tailgate say "Ford V8" or just Ford? Since starting in 41 they offered 6 and 4 cylinders that took off anything that said V8 that the 40 had. The front spring cross member is different then a 40 but unless your real familiar with them you probably won't see the difference, deeper where the spring mounts for clearance for the 6. The serial number is your best bet to verify it's a 41 and not a 40.
    BTW, talking about VIN v/s serial number my pet peeve is when someone says "vin number". That's the same as saying "vehicle identification number number". Trivial, I know.;)

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The 40 dash has a rectangular blister in the center with Ford in script, and as metalman stated 41's will have the same badge as the ones on the hood sides.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Some states used to title vehicles in the year they were purchased so it could have originally been purchased in late 1940 and titled as a 40.

19. Also, '41 has the wide center trim on the grille and hood, it's narrow on a '40. '40 has the Ford logo on the hood sides as a script emblem (same as '40 car) and does not have the script in the rectangular block. '41 parking light lenses are prism shaped and stick up to be more visible, '40 lenses are flat. If you truck has the original transmission case, the same number that is on your frame will be on the bell of the trans case above the clutch inspection window. There is a peep hole with a rubber plug in the toe board so you don't have to take up the floorboard to see it.

20. DannyK

DannyK

Well guys last night i found the bell housing number clear as day and it says 18 - 6047311 this weekend i am going to find the one on the frame. My title says 1940 so i think i am going to try and send it in MO says with proff they will correct it for $12 or they may leave it the same dmv said it may or may not work. Now the big question i am going to sell it when i get it cleaned up i lost where i had it stored so needs to go i have a fender with no rust and headlight to go with it. Any idea what i should ask for this thing or just put it on ebay? DSC02660.JPG DSC02662.JPG DSC02663.JPG DSC02665.JPG DSC02669.JPG DSC02671.JPG DSC02672.JPG DSC02673.JPG DSC02674.JPG DSC02677.JPG

21. alchemy

alchemy

Sell it to Ryan.