Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is the traditional "fad" over where you live?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalman

metalman

What, are you saying I influenced you? All I ever did was show you how I thought a hot rod should be.
    I'm sure I told you more then once "real hot rods have 3 pedals";)

Joemama likes this.
  2. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Traditional Hot Rodding will never be over anywhere ! It really is the TRUE hot rodding in every sense. You will never know where your going if you don't know where you've been !!!! I'm surprised how even this thread got started. IMG_0428.JPG

Montana1 and Ric Dean like this.
  3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

If you're hiring for an outside the family son or grandson, I'd like to apply.

:)

safari-wagon likes this.
  4. Joemama

Joemama

Absolutely you influence me, that's one reason why my 40 sedan I just bought has three pedals!

5. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

… Ya I guess stupid is too strong a term how about misguided?
    But I like what HAMBr flatheadtommy just stated- “I'm surprised how even this thread got started”

6. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Okay guys, here the story of the easter egg. My good friend Danny Brent was the first guy to use pastels and made the 37 fords popular all in one swing. Danny has been building hot rods since the sixties but he has always been a trend setter. Guys would not touch a 37 ford in the 40´s 50´s 60´s and 70´s Danny builds a couple of cars a year and thats how he puts food on the table, 37´s were cheap in the eighties so he decided to build one , make it look cool and as to the pastel colors , blame it on his wife and Ocean Pacific. The owner of Ocean Pacific was friends with Danny, they made the surf clothes that first came out with pastels and neon colors. Danny´s wife bought some shorts that were a pastel pink and talked Danny into painting his latest project a 37 cabriolet a pastel pink. And thats how the whole thing started. Danny still builds cars but they are tradional now. Like he say´s "what ever sells Miguel what ever sells" Some people are trend setters and others follow.

Lil'Alb and Kan Kustom like this.
  7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've definitely seen a decrease in the number of customs running around, especially among younger guys. Of those still into it, there seems to be more of an interest in the hot rod side of the hobby than the custom side, and that's not surprising. Seemingly every A or T project for sale locally has some reference to TROG in the description. But also, as correctly alluded to earlier, building custom cars and "finished" hot rods, takes hard work and a skilled hand, not to mention a lot of money. The vast majority of new-comers to the hobby don't have the skills needed to complete a total build, and frankly, don't seem to have the aspiration to learn. It is what it is and I'm fine with that.

clunker likes this.
  8. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

On the west coast I tend to disagree, most my friends have moved on to customs. There is only so much you can do to a hot rod were as a custom, the possibility is end less.

9. GEGE

GEGE

Tradition? What else is there? I kinda liken tradition to babies names, no matter what you call it it was probably already thought of.
    Maybe tradition is really the tradition of taking something and making something out of it!
    Once in a while yea something new, and maybe the more money you have the more you can pay someone to make a widjut more high tech than before but in the end tradition is still taking something and making something out of it!
    Still pondering the word tradition?

Ric Dean and Louie like this.
  10. guy1unico

guy1unico

Traditional, classic, conservative, good taste, historically correct, these cars will always be in style.
    If you do your homework it shows in the build...otherwise it just shows the builder had no taste, money, education, sense...or patience.

Ric Dean and KKrod like this.
  11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I agree, and patience is the most important part. You first have to pick an era that you want your car to imulate. Period correct means that the style, paint,upholstery, trim, drivetrain, wheels and parts are from that era.

safari-wagon likes this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have dealt with Danny, only over the phone, what a great guy ! He has been at it for a while, he hung out with the Jackman boys as a kid. When it came time to re-produce their famous 32 Cabriolet, Danny was chosen, but you know all of that. Please tell him hi for me !

13. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

"Traditional is a philosophy based in Historical context and fact. It never goes out of "style" because it isn't one." ......

Joemama, Ric Dean and Paul like this.
  14. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I can tell you what I saw more of in Columbus this weekend than anything else, and that's big wheels, lowered/bagged stance, modern LS or coyote powered, but otherwise "stock" appearing 50's, 60's, and 70's cars. Some with perfect paint, some with original "patina", some with artificial patina. Station wagons, pickup trucks, and even 4 doors seem to be gaining in popularity more each year. Hoaky "shock factor" rat rods seem to be far fewer than they were just a few years ago, which is a good thing IMO. There are still lots of "traditional" build hot rods and customs out there too, but the aforementioned stuff seems to be outnumbering them right now.

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I'll see him at the big 3 for shure, i,'ll tell him for you.It

16. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

No worries, by 2010 The scene had peaked by then, what happen was main stream street rodding started to imitate what we had been doing.A lot of street rodders started changing their billet wheels for wide white radials but nothing was right , their cars were still street rods from the eighties and nineties. Some high end street rod shops started building some but used a lot of after market parts or would put early sixties parts on a 40's styled car.

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

magoozi,
    Please understand, I'm not trying to be mean or a smart ass or anything of the sort......So with all due respect....
    I really do not care about the Scene.
    Words like scene, In, popular, conjures up a high school kid mentality of chasing and keeping up the Cool Kids. It's follow the crowd, it's insincere and reeks of hypocrisy. Really I could care less about what the scene....is.

This may shake the bushes but I think Traditional Hot Rodders are closer to stock restorers than many will admit.

A stock restoration is in a sense a time capsule. So is a traditional hot rod. Early hot rodders did not stray too far from stock or stock equipment. Mainly because that's all they had to work with and could afford.
    Just like a stock restoration, a traditional car is not bound by style, the scene or the latest fad.
    It just is.

I think it's wonderful that Tradional Cars have been "In" or a big part of the "Scene" in recent years......It matters not to me though because I would build or drive them no matter what the Scene was or is.

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NO FAD!
    I don't think it really started here in Hawaii....OK there's a few traditional guys + the Cool Original Island Rods from back in the day.....
    A lot of the Hot Rods here look like they're from the 80's - full of Billet Stuff & 350/350's...(and that's OK....)

Maybe it's because of the Distance / Shipping Costs...?
    But then again - The Europeans , Kiwi's & Aussies are true Traditional strong holds!

It think it would be hard to put together a True Traditional Race over here....Or would it?

19. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Right on!

Both of these "scenes" share a common bond.

A LOT of us here in Detroit support the resto crowd & vice versa. Most of us frequent museums like the Piquttte, the Henry Ford, the Gilmore, etc.

We all recognize & support each other's love of old iron.

The "hoi-palloi" resto crowd here has embraced us traditional rodders & brought into their shows in the last few years. (ie: Concours d'Elegance 2015 & Eyes on Design 2017)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

20. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

2017 Eyes On Design childrens charity show @ Edsel & Elanor Ford mansion in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Singlefinger Speed Shop,
    still lurking around Detroit

Ric Dean likes this.
  21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I think a lot of people confuse the term "scene" maybe a better word would be The movement. Shure a lot of us like the music, furniture, even houses, and if the chicks dress up in fifties atire, we all thought that was cool. It was their way of participating too.
    Some of them even built cars and had their own car clubs.
    As for the guys, shure their was guys that sported the pompadors, the fifties threads, but for most us , we kept wearing what we always wore, some dickies, a t-shirt and some vans. As for style, I ment that the stuff that you use on a 40's period car is not the same as a early or late 50's build.
    I think your right when you say it's like a restoration. You respect the time era you picked to represent your car.

Kan Kustom and safari-wagon like this.
  22. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

'WE' .....speak for yourself

23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Enough said