Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 wild cat need some ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mechanic-O-Matic, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

we are trying to figure out the perfect wheel and a grill treatment for my friends wild cat i figured i could always ask the h.a.m.b ! so any input is great just trying to make it more traditional kustom sams cat.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

If it was mine I would just leave it the way it is with the wheel covers and whitewall tires like I did on my Pontiac but that's probably not the answer you're looking for....

PICT0027.JPG

Jet96, mgtstumpy and Bruce Fischer like this.
  3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Astro Supremes with bullet centers and pinner whites or just put repo tri bar '61 Polara caps on the wheels that are on it.....

4. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

i always liked those caps . any idea about the grill ?

5. junkers72

junkers72

'60 mercury grill, if you could find one

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A nice tube grille would be tasteful, a set of Astros with pinner whites, drive it.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Find a set of '60s Le Sabre cheap hubcaps & clips to put on your already black wheels. Throw the dummy pipes in the corner of the garage & get real dual exhaust on it. Body doesn't need any changes - just cut a coil in front, throw some ballast in the trunk to level, & drive. Gas shocks really help these boats ...

low budget likes this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Take the Buick emblem out of the center grille bar.. Lower it, black walls and get rid of the side pipes... I like that style Buick and being a hardtop makes it cooler...

9. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

get rid of the whole grill bar. or how about a '59 chevy?

10. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I would run 63-5 Riviera wheels. keep it in the family.

scrap metal 48 and 302GMC like this.
  11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe if you could delete the buick logo and make it just a plain bar in the grille??? (or not?) then just lay it on the ground and roll all the windows down, especially since it its a hardtop and cruise.
    (I think Im also with 302 GMC about losing the side pipes as well)

12. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

the lake pipes are his only exhaust so its got real dual exhaust. iv got him convinced on droping it . i feel the 60s le saber caps are to similar it defiantly needs some good shocks

13. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

we have a second grill we are going to play with and that will defiantly be the first step !

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  14. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

when i looked at it i think it will look good just with the center bar deleted so that will be our second try

15. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

plan three is trying to make a tube / button grill it hard because we want to do something not seen a lot but not look shitty ( understanding no mater what you do someone will think it looks shitty )

16. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

This thing is driven 5 days a week and it even sees rain and just last week we all put on about 500 miles for a car show . we are a drive your shit kind of car club no point in having a garage queen . Im dinging all the ideas so far we definlty want to go for the mild kustom look hes a little inspired to mod his car as he seen one just like it at the last car show

302GMC likes this.
  17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

You can understand how I assumed the kickstands were fake - 99% aren't hooked up. It would look better w/o them, tho. Complete system w/ tailpipes hid under the bumper maybe ?

18. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

100% understandable but it would rank right up there with a hood scoop that didn't actually put air in the engine down right silly ! i know he likes them now but hes thinking about doing air ride and once its good and low and as the stance changes so do opinions on different things so we will see on that also with out the pipes he doesn't have much of a kustom just a cool old car that a grandma might drive

19. Well, it IS a 63 Buick 4 door sedan....
    That said, I'd drop it a bit, bolt up some astros and skinny whites and keep the car spotless....I'd also dump the bellflowers for a nice sounding pair of glasspaks and pencil tips. BTW, I grew up in the early/mid 60s and in our west coast town we never ran bellflower pipes...was a regional california thing.
    OOps! Now I see it' got lakers on it, not bellflowers...never mind!

20. also...a name on the decklid was common as was a few primer spots....maybe only one down low someplace. You can always remove it with lacquer thinner and/or rubbing compound.

21. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

i agree about it being a 4 door boat ya know if its got 4 doors its either a cop or a taxi . its what he got and he likes it so who am i say otherwise as long as its not stock i dig ! i think i could use alittle pin stripe action but hes not on board w that and last winter he just colormatched a few spots so i think just primer for looks wont go over well.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I've seen a lot of cool 4 drs lately, yours included.. In my opinion Pin striping is overdone and doesn't belong on 60's cars.. I'd leave the center circle in the grille and just get rid of the Buick emblem..

23. 'Mo

'Mo

Just food for thought.

Using smaller bullets, something like this could also be run using the stock grille (or pieces thereof).

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. mgtstumpy and Chrisbcritter like this.
  25. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

63Wildcat 03.jpg Here's a simple photochop idea for the grille. Just blackout the mesh, remove the Buick emblem in the center and bolt on some chrome bullets. I shaved the hood and lowered it, too. Way suave!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  26. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

wow great photoshop action ! i think we are going to do a button grill and the 61 polara hubcaps ! so i will post pictures when we get any of that done ! thanks everyone !

27. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

28. Mechanic-O-Matic

Mechanic-O-Matic
    from wausau wi

20482645_478879759135540_6073855347418726400_n.jpg now it just needs some wheels and stance

29. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I think I would be doing some chrome and emblem shaving on the sides to emphasize the cars length. Shave the handles, lower chrome rockers, gas filler door and chrome strip insert in the side moldings. I like the lakes pipes, but if they are live they will really burn some legs!

30. 'Mo

'Mo

Nice!
    Now, set the nail with some Rod Powell style flames and scallops! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    mgtstumpy likes this.