Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE Bass Hemi Model A Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

(Bore) x (stroke) is 3.8125 x 3.625. Mine is bored .060 over, so it works out to approx. 342 cubic inches.

Not huge by any stretch of the imagination...but probably big enough.

2. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Sorry...too late.

I painted the engine and carb bases last night. The pictures unfortunately don't really show the true color...it's really dark in the shop today. There's no outside light coming in because of thunderstorms here in Dallas.

Anyway...it's House of Kolor Apple Red Kandy over Pagan Gold Kandy Basecoat over a fine silver metallic base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is as close as I could get to the true color with the camera and a drop light. The Pagan Gold should show through the candy red a lot more in sunlight.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Big John Mazmanian for the inspiration.

AHotRod likes this.
  3. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

I like red Hemi's - Desoto that is!

[​IMG]

4. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Stainless that I chucked up in the drill press and turned the lettering off of.

FLT-BLK did a tech post on here a while back after watching me do it. You can probably find it if you do a search.

I got the idea from my hero, Big Ric. He does his bolts in a lathe though. :)

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I hope you guys aren't getting tired of seeing this car yet.

Anyway, I got the motor back in the chassis last night and rolled the car outside today to snap a few pics. The weight of the motor put the stance closer to where it needed to be. I painted the motor House of Kolor Candy Red over Pagan Gold...it shines pretty good in the sun.

[​IMG]

I started mocking up the '32 header panel above the windshield. I think it's going to end up looking good....but I have a lot of work ahead of me to get it to fit well. I also mounted the headlight stands to the frame and tacked in the cross bar.

[​IMG]

Gonna need some patch panels in the doors and quarters...this body was no prize to begin with. (Yes I know the door handle is upside down on this side...I need to order the right one.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be making the cowl fit the deuce frame instead of vice versa. Most people think the rails need to be pinched to fit the cowl..I think the cowl need to be spread to fit the deuce frame. :)

1" Lug nuts are influenced by Bonneville rule requirements.

[​IMG]

I got lucky and a 6 cyl Mustang fan I bought at the last swap meet fit perfectly. Just had to redrill the bolt pattern to fit the Hemi water pump.

The motor is pretty much all assembled now except for the intake and valley pan. I wanted to leave them loose until I set the valves so I could pour some more assembly lube on the cam before firing the motor. Also need to make a remote thermostat housing and build a generator bracket among other things.

I think I'll be able to fire it by Friday...wish me luck!

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking...

-Brian.

6. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Model A split bones off of another old hot rod...yes on the spring perch boss size.

Went to put new clutches in the Posi yesterday and found that the pinion shaft is toast...glad I caught that.

Finishing up the water outlet/ thermostat stuff right now...had to stop to eat.

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I tend to agree with that. I did a quick photoshop of it with a reshaped quarter window opening, and I think I will make some changes there after the Roundup.

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress. I haven't done much to the body yet other than chop it and change the windshield/ header/ A-pillars. There are still more tricks to come.

Here's the photoshop...you really can't tell what's been changed until you compare it to the original pic. Look at the quarter window and rear of the top...

[​IMG]

Original pic....

[​IMG]

Thanks guys...

-Brian

8. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I feel like a new man after getting a good night's sleep for the first time in at least a month.

The Roundup was bitchin'....I had a great time although I was exhausted throughout the whole weekend. It was great to meet a lot of new folks, and I apologize if I seemed a little out of it.

I ended up working on the car 'til 5 am on Thursday night trying to get it ready to leave for the show. I have to thank FLT-BLK Tyler, Honest Charley, Phil Husband, Doug Daniel, and the Dude for their help on Thursday night...I couldn't have got it to where it was roadworthy without your help.

Friday morning I woke up at about 9 am and finished a few of the last details. About 10:30 am I cranked the Coupe up and drove it around the block for the first time. We loaded it up on the trailer (groan...grumble) right after and headed down to Austin. Once we got there I unloaded it and got ready to drive it over to the Continental Club. This was the second time I'd driven the car.

We got stuck in heavy afternoon traffic, and I found out real quick that the 13 lb radiator cap was too light. Spewed a little water, but still didn't get hot. The worst thing that happened was that the clutch was so far out of adjustment I had to stop and re-adjust it because I was having to slip it so bad...Smoke was pouring out of the bellhousing! Pretty scary.

After a quick stop to fix that we made it to the Continental. Man...it was jam packed this year! Thanks to the guys for saving me a parking spot.

[​IMG]

It was awesome to see my good friend Big Ric again...here we are discussing the finer points of compression and massive cams. I think he liked the way the Hemi sounded by the look on his face. :)

[​IMG]

So Friday night was killer even though I was a walking zombie by the end of the night. After the cops showed up and took over the street, I thought I was going to have some trouble leaving the club, since my car is ABSURDLY loud. But I backed it out, a cop came over and reminded me to turn on the lights and off I went. The car did great on the way back to the hotel. It's got waaaayyyyy too much power for the tires, but it drives, steers, and handles great. I got it up to 90 or so on the highway and it tracks straight as a string.

Saturday morning I woke up to find the car covered in rust from rain the night before and had to spend an hour scotchbriting the rust off. Thanks to Fat Mike for a hand with that. Got 'er cleaned up and hopped in to go to the show. Mike followed me and told me later that I white-smoked the tires in all
    four gears getting on the highway. He also said that the rear tires grow like slicks on a dragster. That's bitchin!!

The car was running great on the way there until I ran out of gas about 25 yards from the show gate. Here's my dad guarding the car for me while I was gone to get gas.

[​IMG]

After I got it filled up with 5 gallons of premium and 2 cans of octane booster, it popped right back off and I got to experience what was the highlight of the show for me....driving it through the gates under its own power. Cackling, snarling, rockin and rollin....I think everyone on that side of the park stopped and looked to see what was making so much racket.

Sorry for blowing grass all over the place by the way. :D :D

[​IMG]

One of the biggest compliments I think I got all weekend was when Jack Chisenhall told me "Hey that thing sounds like it's pretty rowdy." That's a compliment coming from a guy that drives a 200 mph Studebaker on the street.

It was really surreal to me to be parked with the big guys over on the peninsula. It made my car look pretty ratty, but hopefully people could take a look at what I had done so far and realize that the body was the last thing to be attended to. It still needs a lot of work.

[​IMG]

The icing on the cake was receiving the "Kontinentals Pick" during the award ceremony. It was totally unexpected and I am just floored that the guys that put the show on chose to recognize me and my car when there were so many other awesome cars in the show. I am honored guys....thanks for giving me a place to show off my work.

So in short it was a great weekend, and it was totally worth all the hard work I had to put in over that past 4 months. The car is slated for bodywork, shiny paint and a finished interior now, but I'm really glad I got the car to the show under its own power, even though I had to trailer it down there. Trust me it'll probably be the last time it's on a trailer unless it breaks something at the drags.

Thanks to the Kontinentals for putting on a great show. Thanks to all the people I met and talked to for being so cool. Thanks to my friends that helped me get this car to where it is today...those mentioned above and also Jimmy White, Bob Wilson, and everyone else.

I had a blast!

-Brian

kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  9. Elrod

Elrod

hehehehe

Attached Files:

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here's some video of it running for a few seconds at the show compliments of Jai...

It's no comparison to the real thing, but it's still pretty damn cool.

Thanks Jai!

AHotRod likes this.
  11. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

12. man i am jelous! i followed this as much as i could and reading over this thismorning was a wicked inspiration for the day. off too the garage! did i say im jelous yet?

13. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Thanks! I thought I had cought all of his posts, but there were a few I hadnt seen.

And I agree.

14. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I set out to build a Stude that was inspired by Jack Chisenhall's one time. Fate intervened and I had to take another path. I'm older now and have many more ideas of my own, with a great deal more experience and appreciation for the skills required to produce a rolling art work and monument to engineering. I have to say that there are probably a handful of cars in the world that have really made an impression on me in my 20 year's of turning wrenches, not the least of which is Jack's Studebaker. More recently, I've been engrossed in the design of Posie's Thunder road pickup. Now, as I begin construction of the first car built from the ground up, just for me, I am taken aback by the craftsmanship I see in this '29 Hemi Coupe. I am in awe, I would even say speechless if I hadn't just spilled forth Webster's dictionary. Very nice work! These days, as we build our own fantasy cars, it is hard not too include some of the cooler details we've seen. Please don't be offended if we meet and you see that I have plagiarized your work as my imagination fails me. Thanks for sharing. I would certainly be more stingy.

Highest Respect, Scotty

bengeltiger likes this.
  15. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

NICE VERY NICE I notice in your thread that the adjusters on your pushrods were down on your lifters, was that stock or did you do that, it just looks alot easier to adjust? Iam building a 33 chevy five window coupe with a 1958 Hemi 392 topped with 6-97 strombergs, raised motor up to get that dragster look. Those motor mounts are just plain solid and up to the task at hand, great craftsmanship. Let me know about those pushrods my motor is in machine shop so would like to turn the rods if it can be done. Just a great thread, thanx for the good reading.

16. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

17. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

my god....that thing is absolutely killer...

Bass is obviously short for bad ass.

you're a ruler man...

18. ig'nant

ig'nant

I'm very happy to say that I was one of the awestruck spectators that had grass all over him when you first rolled in. :D

(Standing by the silver/blue flake top '60 Olds)

NOTHING could prepare someone for witnessing that in person. Thanks for all the detaild build info. I wish I had been paying closer attention before the show, so I would've known to take an extra close look at everything from those killer motor mounts to the welds hiding on the chassis under the car.

19. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Words cannot adequately describe

Insane detail and effort from a new master builder (& a great post too)

Well done laddy - Hope to see it in person

20. Lefty

Lefty

A great story and VERY nice pictures. Keep it up.

21. Brother Bob

Brother Bob

Brain Bass you have real talent there son.
    FWTW I ran into BB at the Pate Swap a few years ago , I commented on his Shoe box and he took some time and showed me some pics of his work . I thought then that guys got it right .
    Thats one sweet ride you have created.

22. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

That car is so cool! I keep picturing that dash with some '53 merc levers on either side of the pod.

Is it gonna be shiney?

23. Stone

Stone

24. Scotch

Scotch

Outstanding. Best car I've seen so far this year.

You Rock Brian.

~Scotch~

25. repoguy

repoguy

Extremely impressive.

That speedo was a really neat touch.

26. beautiful work Bass....love the car and the color on the motor is awesome.

27. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

What a great thread.

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Awsome, sensational, and thank you for the insight, im building a 28 A Tudor this winter and i know it is a bit different than what you got going on here , but the inspiration in the rolling chassis is what i was looking at for my build. very nice!

29. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

I'll be Honest! I've read this many times now . The Inspiration Is still the same every time. Im sure the 28/29 Coupes are going to get more Love with Yours being the Pioneer.
    Hope to see it one day here in Socal!
    Best BUILD THREAD I"VE EVER SEEN.

30. anything new with this one?