Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. exterminator

exterminator

Love the detail! That doesn't happen overnight. Good job!

2. IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0719.JPG Been awhile since I posted any progress. Life gets in the way. Finally finished my custom built headers. What a job. It took forever since the frame was painted and I had to take the header off each time to take it to the other shed to weld it up. I know there is a lot of debate on whether wrap will kill your headers but it's so dry here in Arizona I decided to do it anyways. They were not nice enough to chrome all the way so I just did the tips. It's the best I could do. If I built headers all the time it might have turned out better. I pretty happy with them overall. On to something else. I refuse to give up on this project. It goes on forever but I'm focused now. Here are the pics of the new exhaust.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    mgtstumpy, brEad, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  3. Pics are up finally. had a hard time finding them. Enjoy if you will

4. Duke

Duke

Wow! That is nice!

loudbang likes this.
  5. Thanks Duke. I'm only doing this once. Might as well be done right.

6. loudbang

loudbang

Looks REAL GOOD

curbspeed likes this.
  7. Where did you find the bell tips? Are they mild steel or stainless? What's the OD on the pipe (not the bell)?

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looking good Dale!

ls1yj and curbspeed like this.
  9. 51box

51box
    from MA

Wow very impressive, those headers are so cool.

10. Russ, I had them made up by famed hotrodder Russ Meeks. He' in Portland Ore. Long time friend of my dad and I. He owns Finishline Coatings. He belled them for me. They are 2 inch mild steel diameter tubes that I had chromed. He also did the Famous Orange Crate back in the early 60's. Kinda expensive but they look right.

Stogy, loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  11. More work than I want to do ever again on a set of headers.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  12. Cool! I looked high and low for chrome or stainless 2 inch bell tips and couldn't find any. So I ended up buying a couple of stainless 2 inch OD female ball joints, welding them on and then polishing them.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    brEad and loudbang like this.
  13. I missed this... looks killer Dale... slow and steady... keep plugging away

curbspeed and loudbang like this.
  14. Pre1898

Pre1898
    from Saronville

Dale....Once again as I stated before "I am truly impressed" ! Someday I'll make it down to Tucson to meet you in person and see this killer project. Keep up the great work.

dusty

15. Thanks. It is going to happen. I'm determined. Your welcome anytime to take a peek Dusty.

Drewfus likes this.
  16. seatex

seatex

Gonna' be epic, man. EPIC!

loudbang likes this.
  17. I sold my rpu at LARS so I got some cabbage to finish it. I have been buying parts and doing some bodywork. It's been so bloody hot here it's hard to get in gear. Progress should happen in the near future. I refuse to give up. Just put an A/C unit in my little shop so I can get some work done. I'll post some progress soon.

loudbang likes this.
  18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

looking forward to it!

19. Sanding louvers on top hood today. Whoever thought louvers were a good idea? Should have paint on these in a couple of days. IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3773.JPG IMG_3775.JPG

20. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Louvers, they're worth the effort. I found scotchbrite pad worked ok, and at least you can hold onto it.
    Big decision laying down your pattern, especially on a tapered 34 hood. Not running them parallel actually looks ok.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it, here's mine. :) 18238904_1539438986066413_1215413817991664969_o.jpg

itsmee, mgtstumpy, ls1yj and 5 others like this.
  22. I left the pattern up to my friends in the Peckerheads of Reno. They have pretty good taste in hotrods. Ray and Rory Forbes laid it out and punched it for me. They wanted to try something different and I'm glad they did. I think it looks like it is speeding forward. That's how you get curbspeed. I will try the Scotchbrite pads. Thanks Bonneville 2012 Road Trip 078.JPG

23. Thanks for the updates ! Dale... coming along nice... congrats again on selling RPU

loudbang likes this.
  24. Thanks Rob, This car is happening.

Drewfus and loudbang like this.
  25. Got some stuff painted this week. Cut and buff needed but came out ok for a hack. Grille done. Chrome grille in the future but this one works for now. The world's longest hotrod project continues. Patience everyone. Someday it will be done. When you see the paint scheme you will understand what I'm doing. IMG_0733.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0773.JPG IMG_0772.JPG

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, brEad, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  26. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Don'tcha just love sanding louvers...

loudbang likes this.
  27. I've got a helluva lot more louvers to sand than what you see there. Roof insert and trunk lid is full of them. It's not so bad really. Just time consuming.. Starting on top insert tomorrow. Buffing them is worse. I burned through some edges. Will touch up with brush instead of repainting the whole piece.

Stogy, Johnboy34, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  28. Painted a couple pieces this last weekend. Top insert and trunklid. I will cut and buff in a few days. Turned out pretty good. Time will tell. Bodywork on doors next. One piece of the hotrod puzzle at a time. Progress IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3803.JPG

mgtstumpy, brEad, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  29. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Nice work. I'm liking the pattern on your hood.

curbspeed and loudbang like this.
  30. Awesome keep the updates coming.