Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hood making ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WP38, Jul 8, 2017.

1. WP38

WP38

I have a 1938 international on a 1948 Merc frame, So I need to build a hood nothing would fit, I am thinking of leaving the sides open with a hinge set up to open each side,
    Looking for some pictures or thoughts on building one, I have a hinge, Thats all,
    Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

find a hood that fits your cowl, even if you can only use a few inches... build a perimeter then fill the gaps / hole...

3. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^^ agreed, I'd build the perimeter out of steel rod, maybe 1/4", then build sheet metal to rod and weld up.

4. The last time I made a hood was for a 31 Model A,I started with poster board and scissors,I laid it across the top and fit it to the contour to be covered,once I was satisfied with the fit I transferred it to sheet metal,I let the sides of the hood extend down about a 1 where I could bend it under to stiffen the edge.

the next step was to use a oxygen cylinder and hand shaped it to fit,it takes a lot of patience and putting it on and taking it off.

When I was happy with the fit I considered leaving it one piece but I ended up measuring the hinge and deducted the width of the hinge and removed that from the center of the hood,making it a two piece hood,I then put the hood in a brake and bent the sides inward to stiffen them,then tacked the hinge to the hood.

It turned out great,I used a spring loaded deadbolt to hold the hood down. HRP

5. WP38

WP38

Thanks guys

6. upspirate

upspirate

I have not done this, but I have heard if you use roofing paper , it's stiff and will hold shape better for a pattern. Basicly what HRP did, but with a stiffer pattern material

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PM sent...

Attached Files:

AmishMike likes this.
  8. WP38

WP38

Thanks I have roofing paper.

Attached Files:

9. upspirate

upspirate

Let us know how that works so I don't pass around BS !!!

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you have access to some linoleum (they call it vinyl flooring these days), it works real well. It follows the shape of the curves, and stays pretty rigid. I would use .063 - 3003 alloy aluminum.

11. 34FordConv

34FordConv

12. WP38

WP38

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017