Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1948 Ford Sedan Delivery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cowtown, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Cowtown

Cowtown

Went out this morning to buy a 54 F-100 and ended up with a 1948 Ford Sedan Delivery. Its pretty much a Rust Free Montana Car other than no engine. Someone changed the hinges on the rear door which I think can be fixed ok. Going to pick it up in the morning and will post more pictures. Not sure what to do with it. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

grumpy32, slv63, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  2. Great find! I like sedan deliveries. I would build it very dependable, and then drive the wheels off it. I used bucket seats in mine, that fold forward. That way I can sleep in it, when camping with friends at rod runs. Congrats ! Ron...

jnaki and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Cowtown

Cowtown

Ron, Thanks for the reply! Do you have any pictures of yours? Do you have any info on how many they built?

4. Looks good. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Nice find! Are you sure that it's a '48? The front sheet metal is '46. The marker lights and hood ornament give it away as a '46 but Ford might have used '46 parts on a later commercial vehicle.

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Cowtown

Cowtown

No, I am not sure. The guy I bought it from said it was a 48 but you could be right! There isn't a title so I will do some research with the serial number and apply for a title. I can't find much info on the sedan delivery online so I will do some more digging. Thanks for the response!

7. Cowtown

Cowtown

Yep your right! Sheet metal is 46. Looks like 47 and 48 had round parking lights below the headlights. These parking lights look to be carryover from 42.

8. { 010.jpg {SORRY !} But mine is a 34 Dodge Delivery, I meant to say that I like all sedan deliveries. As they are very practical. I used 68 Vette seats, as the passenger seat will lay flat, and then I can sleep in it. As deliveries are kinda small. But your Ford is probably a little larger. Plus I chopped mine 3'' Ron...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  9. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

That's gonna be cool!

10. That looks to be a great find! It does look extremely solid.
    This one belongs to a friend:
    Delivery.jpg

Dave

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  11. donno

donno

46 for sure. NICE SCORE!!

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, what was wrong with F-100? like the delivery but, maybe someone here could use a truck

13. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The serial number should be located on the drivers side frame rail, near the front crossmember and the body number should be on the firewall above the steering shaft.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  14. If it has the original transmission case, the serial number will be at the top of the bell on a flat machined surface just above the clutch inspection window. Not always safe to determine year model by front sheet metal, as it could have been wrecked in the distant past and the front sheet metal from another car swapped on to it. You could have a '48 with a '46 front sheet metal on it, as it would bolt up.

15. WOW! What a cool vehicle.

16. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks great and will make a nice ride, but I have to ask, where in the hell does all the side cowl trim from the 46/47/48 years disappear to? Seems every one of them is missing it!:D

17. Cowtown

Cowtown

Oh, I got the truck also. No Motor but the sheet metal is really nice also. Rust free. The hood is in the bed.

Attached Files:

18. Cowtown

Cowtown

Not sure where the cowl trim went, Could be inside. I will look tomorrow when I pick it up. I do know where there are couple more I can get the trim from.

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  19. Great score. More pics please when ya get it home.
    I'd love to have one too.

I believe Okie Joe Dropped Axles has one. Driven out to Bonneville several times. Black with his logo on the side. And a Merc dash............

Keep us posted....

20. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats, both great finds, but it looks like a lot of fun getting them out of there. :)

21. Great fortune! A twofer. Are you thinking about finding another flattie and going that route, or perhaps a sbf with an AOD or T-5 and sliding forward a few decades?

22. Fordors

Fordors

Your '46 SD was one of 3,187 that year.

23. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

FORD never made a 1948 sedan delivery. 1947 was the last year until 1952.

24. dakotajayne

dakotajayne
    from 3c1

Definitely a '46 as the trim is dished as opposed to crowned. Guard the rear quarter trim as it delivery dedicated. Congrats and advise if I can help!

Attached Files:

25. sawzall

sawzall

guard the quarter trim , and the rear fender trim.. as BOTH are sedan delivery ONLY..

26. Nice find!!!

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Thats a great twofer. Options are endless but why not be a little different in the sedan delivery and put a 292 or 312 Y block in it? Good solid reliable engines and sound great with headers. Subscribed to see how it all works out.
    Eli
    Btw, if you have idea's you'd like to see photoshopped just let me know. I'm kinda partial to Fords...:D

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Very Kool! If your self employed it would make a great work truck:)!!!!

29. Cowtown

Cowtown

Well I went and picked it up this morning at 8.00am before it got to hot. Had to cut a wire fence, Move an old wooden fence, some cans and a bunch of old wood. I took my big air compressor in the back of the truck to fill the tires and see if they would hold air. There was about 6 " on each side of the car so I couldn't walk beside it. I backed my new Big Tex 18' trailer up to it and hooked up the 12000lb winch. The car started moving and as I got it out a little was able to put air in the front tires. Pulled right up onto the trailer and as I could get to the rear tires, They also held air. Finished pulling it on the trailer so far so good. Strapped it down and away I went. Less than an hour and things couldn't went better.Took it to the car wash and washed it inside and out. Inside really cleaned up nice!!! Inside the floors are beautiful! No rust what so ever!!! There are no seats in it so I could use a set of buckets if anyone has any. The outside and trim are in pretty decent shape other than the rear door is a little bit beat up but repairable. So I would mind finding a better rear door. The serial number is (looks like) 99A 13105C5. NOW THE BAD PART!!! I took about 20 pictures and set the camera on the rear bumper of the truck and drove home. Needless to say when I got home No Camera!!!!! Did the back track but didn't find the camera. Oh Well It is what it is! I will get a new one tomorrow and take some more and get them posted. Was really happy with the total condition of the delivery. It always get me after I drive all over Montana trying to find something unusual you till have to go back and pick up the truck. Now the funny part! My girlfriend and I was unloading the delivery as it was stuffed full of car parts and other things and I ask the owner what else he had. He said I still have a 55 and 57 Chevy 2-dr hardtops in the building. He can barley walk so we didn't look anymore today, Maybe next week when we go after the truck. Watch for pictures in the next couple of days.