Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Early ford cross steer steering box angle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tgabbe1934, Jul 8, 2017.

1. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

IMG_1643.JPG Hi everybody, I was looking for some input on the angle the steering box should be mounted at? Just a little background on the car, it's a 34 sedan nostalgia drag car with a big block chevy. It has a split wishbone with a super bell 4 inch drop axle. I am using a gm 525 manual steering box. My caster is 7 degrees, I know that the draglink and has to be parallel to the ground and tie rod to reduce bump steer. Pivot point for the pitman arm and steering arm the same hieght. But I have heard all kinds of conflicting things about mounting the steering box. I have seen them mounted with the pitman arm flat or parallel to he ground, and I have seen them mounted angled down like they are from the factory? When the box is mounted on a angle the height of the pitman arm changes slightly when you steer the car. does this have a ill effect geometry creating more Bumpsteer? The car will be going about 135 mph through the traps I need to get it right, thanks all. I'll try to get a photo up

2. alchemy

alchemy

Whether you turn right or left the drag link angle change will be the same, so you shouldn't notice any change in the ratio of turn caused by the box's angle. I think if it was a problem the factories wouldn't have built millions of cars like that.

1927graham likes this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That looks right the way have it, with the Pitman arm flat.

4. According to the borgeson tech website, you can mount the steering box level *or* tip it down in the front to reduce the angle between the steering column & steering box's input shaft. This can simplify steering linkage.

5. Andy

Andy

All flathead Ford boxes were tilted down in front. Should be fine. You are not going to need much movement off center at 135 mph.

6. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

Cool, thanks for the input. I could not imagine that it would make a huge difference in the way the car handled. But I figured I would ask here for some advice, there is so much knowledge and experience on here.

7. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

Cool thanks for he input, I could not imagine that it would have a big effect on the handling. But I wasn't 100 percent sure, figured I would ask others before I wreck my stuff and have to do it over.