Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dare to be different - 63 Scout

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxxon, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Saxxon

Saxxon

Engine and transmission are in. That was the heavy lifting part my back was telling me to avoid. Now it's just all that awkward leaning in and over I get to do.

It's official - I will not be driving the Scout for the next month or 2... maybe longer. My back is just too unstable and it's affecting my ability to attend work. One of the steps HR take is to have me commit to reducing the high risk of re-injury activities. No Softball, No Golf, No Racing. The ironic part of all of that is the driving is the least risk to re-injure. I'm strapped in and the wheel stands do not impact or injure. But that's not something you can explain to the folks holding your employment and disability coverage.

What does that mean ?
    • It means I'm not driving and shouldn't be wrenching, loading, pushing, carrying etc etc
    • It means I'm still showing up at Meltdown. I would even it meant I am a spectator and the Scout is a static display
    • It means I use a substitute driver - Scott Brown who drove for me the last time my back was wrecked
    • It means I follow the HR program and work my butt and belly off to get back into fighting shape

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    els, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Well you do need to take care of yourself first.
    Hope for a speedy recovery.

els, 30dodgeboy, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  3. Saxxon

Saxxon

The Shakedown before Meltdown didn't go so well... at least not for the Scout. Paul had the Prefect out and it ran great with anew personal best of 10.17. Larry had the new altered out for the maiden voyage and it performed flawlessly with an 8.50 / 160 best. They are ready and relaxing for Meltdown.

The Scout is still struggling. On the first pass the idler pulley backed off and effectively tossed the blower belt. Easy fix but not what I had hoped. The second pass, nothing catastrophic but the Scout was slow (??) with an 11.17. This should have been deep into the 10's as it was the same set up that went 10.05 / 130 at Rock Falls - WTF ?? We added a bit of timing and went for pass #3 ... and promptly blew the header gaskets out of it. I saw a lot of debris coming through the hood opening and thought we had shredded the blower belt. Nope ... pass side header gasket exited in pieces.

So .... I replaced the gaskets with Ultra Copper RTV goop. I have a couple of spare gaskets in the trailer in case that doesn't work. I changed the Idler pulley stand for a new one and added blue Loc-Tite.

When the Scout went 9.78 / 138 it dipped below the safety standards set by NHRA and the Byron facility. To make everyone comfortable I had our local IHRA chassis guy over to certify the chassis a few weeks back - it failed. (oops) The cage mount outriggers were not up to spec and it required a sill bar as the driver's seat is 3" outside of the frame. There was also some concern regarding the quality of some of the welds. So after the Shakedown, I stripped out the interior and ground the paint off all the weld points. The Scout is at Riverside Welding and Fabrication for updates and corrections, as well as the addition of a parachute mount. The welding is being done by the ever talented Paul Gagnon. I'm hoping to get it back today with that little IHRA chassis cert sticker on it. I know the certification does not carry over to NHRA but it's the best I can do on short notice. The closest NHRA guy is in Fargo ND. (3.5 hrs) If the Byron tech guys are not pleased then we will keep the Scout to 10.0 passes / early shut offs. Assuming it performs ...

Once the Scout chassis is up to date, it's going to Jeff Wiebe at Wiebe Automotive in Letlliere Manitoba. The last time he set up the injection and timing it was a monster. I'm hoping he can work his magic in time for us to leave next Wednesday. (It'll be tight !!)

Tic Toc, Tic Toc !!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    els, loudbang, Ulu and 2 others like this.
  4. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Sorry to hear of your injuries Saxxon, but it's good to hear that the Scout is still going racing.

Now that I am retired I will eventually have time to get out and fix up my Scout. I'm trying to decide whether to overhaul the engine that's in it or if I'm brave enough to run the turbo motor.

It's just turbo-normalized so there's no fabulous horsepower to be had. I'm just worried that I'll get it all together and then the turbo will blow up on me and I will wish I had just sold it off for parts.

loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  5. Saxxon

Saxxon

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Lot's of agonizing on location for the release handle. Ruled out the top cage bar as it created a weird cable routing. Putting on the passenger side of the shifter platform made it hard to reach. Mounting it on the floor is not an option as I sit too far up... can't reach it. This location is what I had left as an option and it works well. My leg is not in the way, it's easy to find without looking and it's out of the way of the shift function.

IMG_0376.JPG

els, OahuEli, saltflats and 1 other person like this.
  7. Saxxon

Saxxon

Thrash Fest - Started painting the new welds and realized 3 sections in it was the wrong color. Not even close, but I kept painting. No idea why.... ran into town the next day and - grabbed the wrong color - again - ran back into town for try #3. All good... Cage is painted, chute mount painted.... while waiting for the paint to dry I whipped up some tie down racks for the trailer. No more tripping over the tie downs. Then I put the rest of the interior in, added in the cage padding and tied up a few loose ends and cable connections.

Cosmetically the Scout is a mess. Body damage from last year has not been repaired and it picked up a few more nicks and scratches at the chassis shop. But it's going to Wiebe Automotive 8am tomorrow for a baseline tune and timing. I'll pick it up on the way down to Meltdown Wed am. Hopefully it won't need anything major as I'm out of time.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    els and loudbang like this.
  8. Saxxon

Saxxon

This is what happens when you're in full thrash mode and do stupid sh*t when you're tired. I added a crank support this year and spaced it out for the set up without a timing wheel in the mix. Then added the timing wheel and forgot to check the clearance. Note the aluminum shavings in the pulley and the grind line on the outer edge of the pulley. Scared the crap out of Jeff Wiebe when it started screaming at him when he fired it up. Jeff took it all apart and made it right... sorry Jeff. Scout should be ready tomorrow (Tuesday) and we'll pick it up Wed am on the way past to the border.

Also - I inspected the used chute I bought for the Scout and my "good friend's" description of - "Race ready" and "Great shape", turned out to be ratty, tattered and not safe. The main canopy looks ok but the pilot chute is beat up and the material looks like the mice got at it. I could buy a new pilot chute but I decided to buy a whole new chute and be confident about it. Jeg's will be shipping it to the Hotel in Rockford so it will be there when we check in.

19885651_1777295315620681_173352984_o.jpg 19885939_1777294848954061_1951206047_o.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  9. Saxxon

Saxxon

Sooo... this year, our trip down to the Meltdown event will have a slightly different travel plan. In the past 3 or 4 of us would iron-man it straight through. Last year we crashed for 3 hours just short of Eau Claire Wisconsin. It made a positive difference in the trip, even if we did only crash in the trucks. This year we are booked at the luxurious Motel 6 in Eau Claire. We are leaving a ton earlier than last year so we should be checking in around 9pm Wednesday. That means a decent sleep, breakfast and a steady 4 hrs to Byron for about 1pm.

We leave in 40 hrs - see y'all there

els, loudbang and Finn Jensen like this.
  10. Saxxon

Saxxon

11. cs39ford

cs39ford

Be safe. Same for the trip see you there

els, loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Sounds delicious!

els, loudbang and Saxxon like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Good luck and be safe.

14. My hat is off to you. I walked by a couple times Saturday and the front suspension was ripped apart and the axle no where to be found. I'll assume a bent axle from a wheel stand ? Saw that you had it back together and running for last nights show. Who knew having fun was so much work ! Way to stick with it and get the job done.

15. Thats a racer right there.

els, Torkwrench, Saxxon and 1 other person like this.
  16. 100_0655.JPG 100_0656.JPG 100_0655.JPG

This was about 2:00 in the afternoon Saturday.

mad mikey, els, enloe and 4 others like this.
  17. flatford39

flatford39

Persistence and patience. Those are virtues lost on many. Can't wait for the Saxon to chime in with the whole story. This is one of my favorite threads on here.

els, Saxxon and loudbang like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

Something about a blower pulley, too... :)

great save, Dave!

19. Saxxon

Saxxon

I'm home but tired and hurting (Back is wrecked - from the trip - not from the wheel stand)... the rest of the crew stopped in Fargo. They have video of the wheelstand and more pictures. Once I collect all that I'll post the whole story. 15 hrs down - 2 trips to the starting line, 1 full pass ... and 15 hrs home - it was a great weekend !!

Thanks for posting the pics of the Scout in it's most pathetic state ... adds a little drama and suspense

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    mad mikey, els, enloe and 5 others like this.
  20. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here is the teaser to the whole story. A lot happened in a short amount of track space. I should have video tonight and some pictures showing how badly bent the axle was. Any guesses how high that left rear tire was (judging by the center divider...) Yikes !! On a different note - I'm guessing I made the magazines...

Thank you Dean Coryell for the pictures.

20108647_10213864331552075_8522849277041151467_n.jpg 20031990_10213864333632127_7788115968942160340_n.jpg 20139860_10213864329072013_2152684203494840916_n.jpg 20139622_10213864340432297_4255266740750944695_n (1).jpg
    20258274_1474273199302271_7184148759916480313_n.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  21. squirrel

squirrel

22. Saxxon

Saxxon

How cool is this ??

This single gesture of respect and appreciation has just become the best thing that has ever happened to me racing. Thank you to the MDA for the honor and the privilege. I'm pretty sure I blocked the registration line for 10 minutes after my co-driver handed this to me...

IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    brEad, mad mikey, els and 5 others like this.
  23. Well, both you and Brian (Racer X) are proving that once you put something other than gasoline in the tank, anything can happen...

How much of that namesake beer did you buy? LOLOL...

mad mikey, els, Saxxon and 1 other person like this.
  24. Roadsir

Roadsir

I like the blurred image......that's Art in my book.
    Can't wait to see the video, it says it's unavailable at the moment, maybe you're blowing up youtube.!

upload_2017-7-17_19-34-4.png

25. Saxxon

Saxxon

Here's the video.
    When I added the parachute it never occurred to me I would need it for a re-entry

mad mikey, els, enloe and 3 others like this.
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looks like it really took the term "launch" to heart.

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

OK kids ... here's the story.

We thrashed for weeks to get the Scout ready. A combination of weather, bad back, procrastination and a want to upgrade the cage put us well behind. This - once again - left little time to test. The one test outing we did get out to was plagued with problems so once again I was heading to the event with a relatively untested vehicle.

When I got to Meltdown I decided to launch with - what I thought - was a conservative approach. Foot-brake, 2000 (ish) RPM and a 1/2 throttle hit after. As you can see - and to quote my friend Jeff Wiebe - "the wheelie bars never stood a chance". We blew through them, hopped on one wheel, squatted on the wheelie bars which bent them and sent me left and then it landed hard. Last year I drove through a similar event but this year I knew it was bent badly so I just pulled it off to the side. I got a warm round of applause from the fans and even gave them a bit of a bow. Thank you to the track crew for pushing my junk off your track. Seeing the faces of the photographers - I sort of knew I made the media

The axle was bent on both sides giving the front wheels a pigeon toe stance. We later found it was bent backwards and twisted. The passenger side wheelie bar was bent. Everything else survived... even the tires are still holding air.

20170715_090731_resized.jpg
    wheelie bar .jpg

I decided I had the tools in the trailer and desire to fix it - if we could find the parts. I went directly to Bill Carlson at the WAC Customs booth. He had the correct width 49" king to king axle but with a shallower 3" drop than my normal 4". He also had the spring perches and shock mount tabs I would need. I decided not to start pulling things apart Friday night and went to enjoy the show. The plan was to pull off a spindle and king pin first thing Saturday morning to confirm the axle would work. Then make the call from there.

Saturday morning I confirmed that the axle would work perfectly with my spindles and king pins. In fact - they fit better on the new axle than the old. Green Light for the Thrash !! - So Gary Misko, Tim Misko, Kieth Worell and myself tore out the front end - leaving the Scout looking very pathetic sitting on jack stands with just leaf springs and shocks. By now the word had spread quickly we were fixing the axle. At least a dozen racers came by to offer assistance. It was very gratifying.

20170715_114224_resized_1.jpg
    100_0655.JPG

We loaded up both axles in cart and went to see the guys at the Welder's Supply tent and the Bessing Welding mobile welding truck. 4 guys spent over an hour making sure the new axle was prepped and ready. Bill Carlson (WAC Customs) made sure it was set up correctly and supervised the welding. These guys were artists with a plasma cutter and made the axle assembly look easy. They nailed it !!

20179841_1540231252663891_456272773_n.jpg
    20179519_1540228405997509_90618144_n.jpg
    20182656_1540230919330591_1587581968_n.jpg
    20182908_1540230675997282_1182711399_n.jpg
    20196927_1540231295997220_229858178_n.jpg

With the welding complete, we carted the still too hot to handle axle back to the Scout and started re-assembly. The looks and smiles we got as we went past some of the racers were priceless. More than a couple just shook their head... We found about 1/2 way through the re-assembly that the dampener bracket wasn't in the correct location (Our fault). There were a few minutes where a number of red-neck McGuyver style solutions were discussed and everyone seemed to have an opinion.... At this time I just stopped everything and advised the axle was going back to be done correctly. So we dropped the axle, spindles and all, from u-bolts again, loaded the new axle into Gary Misko's truck and went back to see the Besson Welding guys - who took all of 10 minutes to make the repair. 45 minutes later we were torquing wheel lugs and setting the toe in.

Meltdown-Drags-2017-gallery-26.JPG

I had sent Larry Arnold away to find me a grease gun and after an extended search he came back empty handed. But the word had gotten out and over the next 30 minutes - 4 grease guns showed up at the trailer... (Again - very gratifying to see the support)

Once we greased up the king pins I took it for a test drive around the pits. It felt great with no issues. Then I spent 15 minutes re-tightening every single nut and bolt on the front end - just to be sure. Earlier, my brother Paul and Ralph Thomas had straightened the bent wheelie bar sections using the Prefect push bar... how appropriate. Then - very deliberately - I dropped the wheelie bars as low as they would go.

I also decided to back down the horsepower and swapped in a bigger upper pulley to change the blower from 5% overdrive to a one-to-one ratio. Jim Forbes (aka Squirrel) came over to assist and I didn't recognize him. In fact I barely recalled him being there... (Sorry my friend).

At that point it was crazy hot and I was very over-heated and light headed. The thought of sitting in the heat and the lanes with a SFI Spec -15 suit didn't appeal to me (and probably not safe) so I decided to stay hydrated and wait until the scheduled runs in the evening with the Great Lakes Gasser vs. Nostalgia Gassers Association match ups. A wise decision in hind-site.

Since I wasn't racing I took the time to clean up the pit area, clean tools and put tools away. Just as I was finishing and reaching for another water, John Denski shows up with 4 of the MDA crew. Something was up... turns out John overheard a couple of the MDA folks talking about the wheel-stand and that I was done for the weekend. John told them I wasn't and showed them the Scout stripped down to the leaf springs. After they saw the test run around the pits the MDA decided to present me with a little token of appreciation for making the effort. I was very surprised and a little emotional about it. Especially since the MDA had already honored me with the event beer bottle theme.

IMG_0384.JPG

In the evening we lined up with the GLG vs.that nasty Brandon Beach driven 58 Chevy from the NGA. (Brandon kicked my ass 2 years ago and his brother had my number last year in his 56 Chevy) I was waffling between a cautious drive down the track or doing something stupid for the show... I settled on "cautiously-stupid". After a very bad burnout and an awkward stage I launched at 1,500 rpm (ish) off the foot-brake. The Scout stayed low and carried the wheels nicely. I never felt it land. In fact it pulled the wheels - twice - I was 2/3 throttle until the 2-3 shift when I put it to the floor. It pushed me back into the seat very nicely and ran a 10.13 / 130 ... Outstanding !! ... The Scout handled beautifully, I never moved the steering wheel. The tune up was great and never even loaded up idling back to the pits.... I also won the round - which was the first official points earned for the GLG in 4 years of participating in this shoot out event - how fitting.

As I drove the Scout back to the pits, I was very surprised to see a few folks walk out of the pits to the side of the return road and give me a salute and applause. A couple of them I recognized as folks who had come to help. The same happened as I went past the MDA cars along the staging lanes and the entrance to the grass pits. This gave me a lot of warm fuzzies ...

20108661_1628447150561601_5863171167588132037_n.jpg

Back in the pits there was a call out for another round for the GLG / NGA shootout - for those who wanted to participate. I decided to pass and went into the stands with some of the group to watch the show. It had been a very long day but it had ended well. I also knew this was likely the last - and only full pass I would make this weekend. But i was very OK with that.

This epic thrash story would never have happened without the help, support and actions from the following people:
    • Bill Carlson at WAC Customs for the hard parts and commitment to setting it up right.
    • The Bessing Welding Crew / Welder's Supply - who committed 4 guys for over an hour - for free
    • "The Champ" Gary Misko, Tim Misko, Ralph Thomas, Kieth Worrell
    • Larry Arnold who went walk-about looking for a grease gun for me
    • John Denski and the MDA folks
    • To the many racers who came by and offered to help in any way they could
    • To the many racers and fans who came by after the pass to shake my hand and give kind words
    Thank you all - this will be the story I tell for a long time. This is also why I've been telling folks that I only made 1 full pass... and it was a great weekend.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    mad mikey, els, caseywheels and 4 others like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

29. that's hard core. very cool. congrats on getting it running again and not giving up. had I known you had all that going on I would have shaken your hand. I will do just that at the fall out.

mad mikey, els and milwscruffy like this.
  30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The true spirit of drag racing survives. Nice to know that kind of folks are still in the mix. Great job of hanging in there and making the pass after all you went through. Cool trophy and a great story to go with it. Some of the best memories seem to have a "pit thrash" involved.

els likes this.