Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Double Flaring Brake Lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have I was told is a double flaring kit. Now I wonder if it is a flaring and swaging kit. Does anyone have a pic of the bubble flaring adapters, not the new style, that I would need in order to then do the double flare? Can these be bought separately from a kit? Thanks.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

3. This is what I have used for more than 40 years,S&K kit. HRP

[​IMG]

jeffd1988 and Fortunateson like this.
  4. Andy

Andy

I had a Jag with some odd flares. I just used the double flare thumb tack and only went part way. It worked fine.
    I have a set like the above.

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

OK that is what I have. So you use the button that has the same OD as the line you are flaring and squish it down and then make th double flare? Maybe time for some learning!

6. Andy

Andy

Are you trying to do a double flare or the British bubble flare?

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a video on "You Tube" about making bubble flares with a regular double flaring tool (like "Andy" said). It looked reasonable to me and IIRC, it had some useful information about positioning the tubing etc. It shouldn't be that hard to find.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The video above shows how it's done, but if you're flaring steel, pr stainless steel, I'd suggest putting a little lubricant on the tip of the flaring tool, it will make the process much easier and save wear on the tool.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I just want to double flare some lines for an OT late '60's Ford. I'll be using Cunifer (copper, nickel, iron alloy). I'll check out th eposted video. Thanks.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I tried twice; the first time with the adapter that just fit in the tubing and the second with an adapter that was a little lose. The second attempt was better. Should there be a littlest wiggle room when making the bubble flare?

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Make sure the end of the tubing is nice and square.
    Does your mandrel piece have the tube size stamped on it.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Yes it does. I have just played with this but I just wanted to make sure I have the correct bits to make the first step bubble flare. I bought a really cool flaring tool like the Eastwood professional tubing flaring kit ($199.99 US/ $239.99 CDN) I got from Princess Auto for $30.00 crazy clearance sale. It does not have the bubble flaring dies just swaging dies on the turret so I will use my little button adapters with the kit to make the inititrial step. A little inconvenience rather than paying another $100 is fine with me!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  14. 99% of the time I can get a good metric bubble flair with a standard inverted flair kit. Use the proper size die and don't squish it all the way. Compare what you get to a pre fab iso bubble. It's pretty close and doesn't leak

15. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

done correctly is a beautiful sight to see....

saltflats likes this.
  16. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Spend the money and buy a EASTWOOD flare tool. 100 times faster and perfect flares every time. Should have bought one years ago. BEST INVESTMENT by far.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a Snap-On flare tool for years without an issue until it got pretty well worn. Same design as what the guys showed above.
    On the Eastwood style tool you have both dies should be on the turret for each size the tool is set up for. At that is how my Eastwood tool works and it works well.
    http://www.eastwood.com/professional-brake-tubing-flaring-tool.html
    Having the tubing cut perfectly straight is a must, deburring the tube is also a must as the burrs will show up in the flare.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well that is what I have except the turret has swaging dies and not the bubble flare dies. So I will use those little double flaring buttons from the same kit as Hotrodprimer showed which I already have. For $30.00 I couldn't go wrong!

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Totally agree! I get to use the one in the shop, one more line and my daily driver is back on the road. Bob

mediumriser likes this.
  20. coast40

coast40

AFAIK, you don't use bubble flaring dies to double flare tubing. I have the standard kit like in posts 2 and 3.

21. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

With that cunifer /nicopp it doesn't need alot of torque. Just get it in the flaring tool and just squar up the line put the dye in the line until it stops square onto the flare tool no more pressure then if your going to go to double flare just snug up onto it but not all the way. But of coarse get it to double flare just don't wale on it. When it connects onto the fitting it will make a seal. Then bam no leaks.

Sent from my Z981 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app