Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quickchange gear chart question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Automotive Stud, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm looking at the quickchange gear chart I've attached, and I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Why does it list the lower gear ratios under the high column of the chart and vice versa? Also, it says for lower gear ratios to put the larger spur gear on bottom, for a higher gear ratio put the smaller spur gear on bottom. This seems backwards to me also, but it would match the chart they provided. Am I missing something obvious here? I can't imagine a typo that severe coming from Winters. Could someone help me understand this? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is referring to numerically high and low. As in 4:11 is numerically higher than 3:50. But in common use we would call the 4:11 a low gear. That is because low gear in your transmission is the numerically highest gear in your transmission. So, are you going to the drags? Small gear on the bottom. Going to Bonneville? Big gear on the bottom.

3. PhredH

PhredH

There can be confusion on what "high" means. To me, a "higher gear" means more distance traveled per engine revolution. However, a "high ratio gear" is a numerical figure, the higher the numerical value, the less distance traveled per engine rpm.

Remember your ten speed bicycle? Large sprocket (the driving gear) at the pedal crank connected to the smallest sprocket (the driven gear) at the rear wheel gave you the most speed, but more effort to pedal. Small sprocket at the pedal crank connected to the largest sprocket at the rear wheel made it easy to climb steep hills.

On the chart the lower gear in the drawing is the "driving gear" and the upper gear in the drawing is the "driven gear". The driveshaft turns the lower gear in the quickchange case like the front sprocket on your ten-speed, the pinion gear is like the sprockets at the rear wheel of your bike.

The chart uses the terms high/low as numerical values. A larger sized gear on top yields a larger/higher gear ratio.
    Hope this helps.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't give a s--t what you call it....just don't put them in upside down .....:confused:

Speedwrench and Hamtown Al like this.

5. man....this could be a good thread.....last big QC Franklin I gots....came with a lot of gear sets.....

6. If the chart is confusing, you should have crewed on the Sanchez Bonneville Studebaker. The chassis was so low, they flipped the V8 QC upside down to raise the torque tube and get the engine's oil pan off the salt.