Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys Des Moines.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rjones35, Jul 1, 2017.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

a guy in our group claims to have seen #4986, but he is bs'er & we had our doubts

gasser57! likes this.
  2. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

but been going since 2003 & don't think I have ever seen Saturday so crowded.

3. Roadsir

Roadsir

I was 4251 Saturday AM, I wonder if the year extension Sunday brought in another 250 cars? I don't know as I wasn't there on Sunday.
    Still a nice size event, at a nice venue. The fairgrounds gets better every year.

4. Was there Friday & Sat. Great weather & great cars, plus tons of people. I am sure all the new construction going on made things a little screwed up, but all in all I thought GG's made it work. Would be nice if they opened up a couple of the south gate for Exit only as having to drive the complete loop sucked with everyone stopping to shoot the shit with some one. I even had to set in line for 10 min. while a GG's photo dude took photos of a load of young girls in a Nash wagon.....WTF.

5. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I typically don't rant (here) but for some reason the new year limit to 87 just pisses me off. I'm tired of the excuse "they aren't a non for profit organization..." An expensive entry fee, very high spectator fee; GGs is not hurting for money at this event. I started doing my own observations on age of participants. More grey haired guys were driving muscle cars and ratrods than younger guys. I saw a lot of the younger crowd in model Ts and As and early to mid 50s customs. It's clear to me GGs are doing it for the money and to help participation vs being creative to get more entries or to change the demographics of the participants. Allowing newer cars will only help their shows die out faster.
    GGs Des Moines is a great show at a great fair grounds, I hope the 87 limit isn't the beginning to the end. I'd rather support the events that are about the cars and the families that build, drive, and race them. This was likely my last GG event.
    Now for some pics...
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

And my beater.
    image.jpeg

6. sololobo

sololobo

thanx for the nice pix, love the flamed 57 Stude coupe and this last shot of the little blue Ford club coupe is wonderful. So many excellent rides there.Nice to see two Omaha cars in the mix, the chopped custom green Merc and the patina 49 Ford convert with the crestliner trim. The Ardun mill in the little innocent roadster is rad. Thanx again. sololobo

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  7. Hmmm, looks like you was 4215. :D The car looks perfect.
    [​IMG]

rjones35 likes this.
  8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Haha...Yeah, I was there in with in my 1293 Ford too.

9. gasser57!

gasser57!

Great pics and I love your passion. I agree that it would be nice if the entry and spectator fees could be reduced. Compared to other major auto events I attend, their fees are about equivalent. The DSM show continues to get better because GG continues to make improvements. This is not the same show that started 26 years ago. As for the year cut off, no one will ever be pleased with it. NSRA officials thought Gary Meadors would ruin shows by opening up the years from the pre-49 cut off established by the NSRA after he broke ties with them. Guess, he wasn't far off because NSRA expanded the cut off year once car counts started to stagnate. It is a very polarizing issue nonetheless. I still maintain the DSM GG show is one of the best events in the Midwest because of car quality, car count, and beautiful venue. There is always room for improvement. Take your suggestions to the GG staff who can make a difference.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roadsir likes this.
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Lots of cool collector cars were built in 1987. I had a sweet Chevy Eurosport, actually it was a 1988. It had a modified for front wheel drive, Iron Duke 4 cyl engine and 4 doors with power windows and steel mag wheels. Every time I parked it crowds would gather, and I would have to explain all the details about it to them. I would gladly drive 700 miles round trip, rent a hotel for several nights, and pay $100 spectator fee for the family to go see another one....just like my old one. Where else would I have a chance to show the family a car just like my old Chevy. Thank you, GoodGuys!

Oh, nice beater, Tim!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Same thing with NSRA as Goodguys. I went to Louisville 3 years ago and the number of late models was staggering. I'm going back again this year as an exhibitor in the great hall. After a couple of days I'll be searching for something to do just as I would have been at Des Moines if I had used my entry. This will probably be my last Nationals. I do plan on attending Goodguys in Colorado this fall. We'll see?

gasser57! likes this.
  12. For those looking for pre-49 events, go to:
    www.vsra-usa.com

Click on events. These guys have a good time for low cost.

Phil

robracer1 likes this.
  13. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

So what happened with the Good Guys K.C.

14. gasser57!

gasser57!

Got bored with NSRA years ago. When I started going years ago, the allure was they changed their location about every three years. Never liked the Louisville location. Especially after I saw the after effects of a rain storm that picked up a 39 Chevy coupe and landed against a couple of other cars.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app