Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Plymouth Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56 Dodge Pickup, Jan 29, 2015.

1. After way to much work I was finally able to get the shift linkage installed and working! I was really fighting with the clearance between the linkage and the exhaust. I didn't want to heat and dent the exhaust and after a lot of adjustments and reinstalls I was able to clear everything. Now it's time to enjoy this success and plan the next step! Hobo Jim

2. I found a back seat today at the local junk yard it was an inch to wide on the base so I sectioned the lower seat pan 1" Then re welded the pan still needs brackets and finish welding ,but for 25 bucks it will work

IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG

3. 51cambridge

51cambridge

4. I like the looks of that

Thank you I just finished fabricating the mounting brackets the seat is really comfortable and the height is spot on. I still have to work out the finishing metal for the front where the brackets are but I am very happy with the results. Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  5. I have finished the metal fab on the rear seat lower valance. This is made out of one piece of 16 gauge with 9 louvers hand punched in it. This will be painted cream to match the rest of the interior. This was a very challenging piece to make due the size 54 inches long I had to move the slip roll all over the garage to have enough ceiling clearance to roll the ends. Hobo Jim
    IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG

1947knuck, tb33anda3rd and Dog_Patch like this.
  6. I also was able to finish a side panel for the front seat this was a pretty productive day in the garage! I just couldn't resist putting some louvers in it Hobo Jim

IMG_0014.JPG

7. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

The car is coming along great Jim! Good work! You dont see these cars built too often. I like the way you louvered the seat panels! Keep it up.

8. Just an update nothing exciting I am still making progress spent the weekend installing the emergency brake. I just thought I would let everyone know I'm still working on the 37. Thank you to everyone for your interest and comments on my build. Have a Great Day! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and 36 ROKIT like this.
  9. 120mm

120mm
    from Iowa

Wow, is this post timely.

Look at my avatar to see why....:rolleyes:

10. Hey 120mm that is a cool avatar glad you liked my build should be some more updates coming soon! Thanks a lot for all the likes I appreciate your interest! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  11. Finally took the 37 out for a ride around the block this afternoon the gas was bad but it ran! It was loud and rattled just like a Hot Rod should sound! This is no street rod! Needs a little more tranny fluid and some fresh gas, but it ran really good. Still a long way to go to finish ,but now I have two running Hot Rods in my garage! I couldn't be more excited and proud! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and classiccarjack like this.
  12. 51cambridge

51cambridge

13. Thanks 51 Cambridge just put another 20 miles on it running around town now back to some tuning and finishing with a whole new motivation! Are you going to triple cities at Hickory this weekend?

14. 51cambridge

51cambridge

15. 51cambridge

51cambridge

16. Wow that's a challenge! Thank you for sharing it see you this weekend Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  17. The shifting problems have been resolved and the car is running Great! Another item checked off the list have a Great Weekend! Hobo Jim

1947knuck and Dave_D like this.
  18. 51cambridge

51cambridge

19. olds vroom

olds vroom

Nice to see you at the show , maybe next year I can see your build and we can talk without so much going on around us...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

51cambridge likes this.
  20. So after deciding to skip three car shows today I had a very productive and relaxing day in the garage! I started working on the door panels and the dimple die toppers that I made over a year ago. I have been trying to figure how to mount them ever since I made them! Here are some pics of the panels now ready for finishing.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0119.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

21. 51cambridge

51cambridge

22. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hi Jim,
    It's all coming together very well mate. I love the choice of rear seat mate, it's a ripper.
    Cheers, Mudgy

23. Great to hear from you Mate !! Thank you for the comment yeah that rear seat is really nice should be working on the interior by the end of the month I have some time off work. I have been fighting with the wheel studs but I am winning at the moment. How's your build going? I miss seeing it on here stay in touch Mate Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What was the donor for that seat??? What is the width?

25. It was out of a Saab black leather with a steel seat pan that I was able to cut an inch out of then re weld the pan. I didn't cut the bottom of the seat foam. This was able to easily compress for the install . I will get you the measurement of the width this afternoon but I think it started out at 50 inches. I will confirm it's been a while thank you for your intrest and good luck with your build! Hobo Jim

1947knuck likes this.
  26. Mudgy

Mudgy

Hi Jim,

Been travelling a LOT this year. I'm trying to sell off an old trail bike to fund my fuel tank. I hope to do this soon, then I can get my first engineer's inspection. if I pass, I can chuck the body on.
    Cheers, Mudgy

27. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

. Assuming its the rear seat. Some one mentioned third row from gm suv like suburban Tahoe etc. Looking for seat for Studebaker put. The one I have is about three inches too high with only an inch or so available to adjust. Pots my head in the headliner.

28. Yes I am sorry it was the rear seat out of the Saab I didn't pay attention to the model. I just took a measurement of my rear seat area then headed to the junk yard looking for a black leather seat that I could make work. I found most of my prospects in the small foreign car section. Check out this thread it has a lot info on seat dimensions may make your search easier. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/junkyard-seat-dimensions.260/#post-2569

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    1947knuck likes this.
  29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Thnx for the link.

30. Here is a picture that my son took of the front end of the 37. I think it's a cool looking pic. I have posted this in a couple of other threads and thought I would add it to the build thread.

IMG_2388.JPG