Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *AC or No AC*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zippi, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJR

BJR

If it were mine I would put in the AC and change the 4:11 rear to something that would let you drive it on the highway at 75 MPH. But it's not mine!

Hnstray and 1956 F100 like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Married 51 yrs, we live 4.5 miles from the Pacific so we talk about installing AC but so far the one time a year I might like it she does goes with me. She's asked for seat belts for 6 yrs and I just can't punch in the holes even tho I have bought them. If went with me more I'd probably bend.....

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup.... that's what I said. Not married and not looking. Don't plan on building a "traditional" (that's a label too) roadster. And thanks for your opinion.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

When I was in my 20's, I didn't own a vehicle with AC. Worked outside all day, came home, we had a window unit in the bedroom for sleeping under. Made it fine even in the horrid humidity here in Bama. When I got my first truck driving job, I got used to AC. By that time our family car had AC but my pickup didn't, so I still wasn't hooked. But driving that big truck all day, it came to the point I had to have it in my pickup, too, so I traded for one with AC. We got a bigger unit for the house and started keeping it cool all the time. Now, after being married nearly 40 years and driving and part time living in semi trucks for over 33 years, AC is a must have. I don't have it in my coupe yet, but it will get one when it goes back on the road. Even if I sweat my ass off at a show or cruise in, it's just much more comfortable to turn on the AC for the drive home. Sitting in traffic with the high HP heat pump in front of you pushing heat back on you, the exhaust heat coming up through the insulated floorboard, 98% humidity, and no air or breeze hitting you is not my idea of a good time. If that makes my car too much a street rod for some folks, I don't care. I didn't build it for them, I built it for myself. They can sweat their asses off while I'm cool and fresh.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, this topic brings out the passions as much as any. Some of you go a long ways to rationalize your reasons. So you can argue about why you have to stick to drum brakes, cause disc's aren't traditional and look like crap, but a 350 Chevy with AC compressor stuck on the top is OK? Hey, it's your car, build it and drive it however you want. The dude asked for opinions on whether he should add it, so some people are going to have a different opinion than you. Wow, imagine that...

And this somehow negates his opinion? He's not allowed to have or share his opinion because his bonifieds aren't as impressive as your's?

BTW, the pictures of engines you guys have posted really haven't helped your position so far.

6. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you do not want anyone to see the compressor mount it down where the ps pump would be on a short wp

Gman0046 likes this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

A/C for me and I don't care who likes it or doesn't.

Legends47, upspirate and i.rant like this.
  8. dan31

dan31

It's real simple, if you hate the look of a/c then don't do it . If you you hate having your nuts welded to the side of your leg even more then do it.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  9. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

The older you get, the more creature comforts you want.

I myself say paint the damn compressor black, but I have more of a stock looking nailhead in the Nash. If you're chromed out in the engine compartment it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quite the quandary...

10. williebill

williebill

Let's see... hot, sweaty, stinky pissed off wife, or.......
    Not a tough choice...
    Comfort is king.... I remember my Dad saying that even if he didn't have much money, he was gonna be comfortable. He was a thrifty guy, but he ran his AC wide open in the house and car if it was hot.

clunker likes this.
  11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

If you want to drive your car, not just a few miles to ride a chair in a parking lot, you will find a/c is a huge benefit. The difference between a black car on 100 degree day with a/c and without means usable or not.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It starts out as a regional thing. Living in South Texas, one needs A/C if cruising over 20 mins. Otherwise, when you return home, everyone needs a shower. In fdact, the best time to drive a roadster in this location is Wintertime and a couple weeks when we experience actual moderate temps. I admit I am a puss, but my wife and I do long cruises in our roadster, like starting our 4th journey to Cal in a month or two. Of course, I shoot traditional style all to Hell, but comfort trumps anything else. My car LOOKS as if it could have been built in the late '40s with the exception of '58 Buick brake drums with F-2 backing plates that function like they are supposed to plus the Hoosier 31x12.5x15 radials. The wheels are Ford steelies on both ends, the '39 teardrops are glass, and the license plate light is the old style seen on most hotrods since time began. I just don't open my hood and show the compressor, the hoses are tucked out of sight, the 8" Ford open rearend with 3.73 posi resembles a 9", the I-beam closely resembles the '32 Heavy. My car is built to drive forever but it can be a weekend warrior. I get an honest 22-23 mpg with the 700R4 and 31" tires at 75mph turning 2100 rpm's. We had to have something that didn't use too much fuel, and it doesn't it. I'm sure any pumped rice rocket could smoke me, but I don't give a shit. I look lots cooler than any Toyota. Again, if I lived in SoCal, I probably wouldn't need A/C, but San Antonio is 1400 miles from heaven.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure whether the HAMB has bunches of pussy-whipped guys or husbands who want to stay husbands. I've met many of the latter. LOL

15. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Happy wife, happy life.

edcodesign likes this.
  16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well stated, my fellow HAMBer. WELL STATED !

17. squirrel

squirrel

I got my wife to ride into town in this car once....but I've put almost 15k miles on it in 3 years. No AC, no way to add it, no desire at all to add it. I've seen 170 degrees a few places on the floor on a hot day, but it's surprisingly comfortable for me.

She has other cars she can be comfy in....

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and Blues4U like this.
  18. buster6972

buster6972
    from Florida

You are driving a 37 ford with a SBC, there is no excuse not to have AC.

19. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice, clean installment. I'll check it out more closely next time we go to Top Notch.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Since factory ac was available on 1955 Chevrolets, does that help make it traditional? Keep her happy, go for it.

edcodesign likes this.
  21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Its been my experience the cost/benefit of adding A/C is recouped when selling the vehicle not to mention the comfort of operating your vehicle in the summers heat and humidity. Its a no brainer.
    I don't own a streetrod. I'm into Tri5's and mid year 60's Chevy's all of which A/C was a factory option. It appears to me A/C is definitely traditional on these cars. The 63 Impala in my avatar came from the factory with A/C that I've replaced with a Vintage Air Gen lV unit.

Gary.

23. My 36 window tilts out just fine for me and no I don't have ac course momma doesn't ride with me anymore either.....and yes i drive it in da heat........ TY 1.jpg

24. Budget36

Budget36

Things change as we age, I went to Phx, Az when I was 17, drove my Camaro there for 5 years, never even thought about AC...now fast forward to 55 years old, if it's in the cards and a vehicle I'll be driving a lot, gimme the AC...if built to drive 15 minutes one way, then home...no issues, probably wouldn't even put wipers on it.

25. Google "1949 ford coupe smugmug".

26. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but when you are young and not being interested in being married and you comment on a thread about a married guy asking about keeping his wife happy by installing A/C, then I guess you don't have much skin in the game. And when it appears you haven't really beat your ass down the back roads of this country for over 50,000 miles in all kinds of weather in a roadster without any creature comforts with your wife of 44 years, I will challenge your opinion to judge me or anyone else. When you are young and want to prove yourself and your testosterone level, just go out and do it without being a keyboard cowboy that judges those of us that have done it and have nothing left to prove. I am fortunate enough to have hot rods that have none of those comforts in addition to the ones that do. I just happen to believe in choosing the right tool for the job at hand.

Steve Ray, studebaker46 and Hnstray like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

For those of you that cannot stand the site of a compressor in your engine bay there is this option. It is spendy and finding a place to mounting it in your Hot rod might be challenging but maybe you can make the wife and yourself happy at the same time.

I just made a 60 mile trip home in 95 plus degree heat in my flathead powered coupe Sunday and air conditioning seemed like a good idea to me by the end of the trip. Since I have a flathead that was challenged by the heat as much as I was, I think I will take a long look at one of these systems and see if I can find a way get all of the components on board and out of site.
    [​IMG]

http://www.jegs.com/installationinstructions/500/555/555-51810_51812.pdf

28. squirrel

squirrel

Johnny Gee likes this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ No way, they've made one ! And yes about the load factor. These things will only get better with time.

30. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hopefully that is just the start up current...... Then there is the fan for that remote condenser I would want to run. I gave up on fining a place to mounting one on my buddies 38 deluxe sedan a few years ago. I have the alternator to feed it but I wonder if I have enough horsepower to run it and climb a mountain pass at the same time.

joel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.