Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *AC or No AC*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zippi, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zippi

Zippi

image.jpeg My better half wants to put AC in our 37 Ford pickup. My 37 is old school running a 350 sbc, Muncie M21 4 speed, 411 gears. With the 411 gears it is not ideal for running down the highway at 70 mph. We just drive to all the local cruise-in's that are within an hour away as long as we can take the back roads and keep it 60 mph and under for the ones that are a little further away. 99 percent of the time we are within 10 to 20 min of most cruise-in's so I don't see the need to spend the cash on the AC. Doesn't bother me. It would probably be in the ball park of 2 grant to put AC in so what are your thoughts on the matter? Are you running AC or not?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    els, dana barlow and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I've been married for 34 years.

patmanta, Wurger, 23 Skidoo and 17 others like this.
  3. wheeler.t

wheeler.t

You already have ac if you roll the windows down at 60mph :)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Like Squirrel said, if you want the wife to go with you, put in the A/C. I just leave the hood closed so no one can see it. lol When the wife is all dressed up , she won't ride in a car without it. Your choice. Ron...

Wurger, mgtstumpy, jnaki and 4 others like this.

5. 56shoebox

56shoebox

You pretty much stay local and you are in Indiana. I would say no. I live in NJ and the days that are over 90 degrees and there is a car event I just stay home. I hate suffering in the heat and the times that high heat and humidity and a car event happen together are far and few between each Summer. I have to imagine those times are even less in Indiana.

If you lived in the southern part of the country I would say you're crazy not to have a/c in your truck.

23 Skidoo and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

AC and a heater are lots cheeper then a devors,hell even cup holders if you must, !!

7. 117harv

117harv

That's a no for me.

Muttley, 55hdyman and Blues4U like this.
  8. bondolero

bondolero

I hate it with a passion because of the space it takes and the additional cooling problems here.
    That said, good AC would add about a month on each end for me to enjoy my car and not sweat soak the seats. Even if it just blew on my feet, that would be better than nothing.

dana barlow and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. belair

belair

Cool it, man.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  10. 2K is a pittance to keep a woman happy.

11. upspirate

upspirate

I installed an Old Air Products in dash heat/a/c combo in my old 36 Chev p/u....worked great and I was very happy with it. Do it !!!:D

dana barlow and wsdad like this.
  12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

13. 327Eric

327Eric

When mama is happy, you are happy, so yes.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd say no. It's your choice, and there is the old saying "happy wife make for a happy life", but for what you described, I can't see doing it. IMO an AC compressor in the engine compartment is a turn off, it doesn't matter how nicely they are done. Pretty much the same with an add on system inside the cab, though many can be hidden out of sight, or made to blend in much better than the compressor can be. It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. Now, if this was a road trip machine, or if you were located in AZ, NV or TX my opinion might be different. The compressor and plumbing is still ugly (and not traditional), but under those circumstances is more understandable.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

AC/DC gets my vote!

LOU WELLS, DeLuxe 32, clunker and 5 others like this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

Nice in the winter (had mine on a trip to Michigan when it was 29 degrees with no upholstery other than seats) and I got the defrost option and made defrost vents out of those fake metal louvers

17. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

It comes down to your passengers comfort, because we all know the bad-assed owners don't care if their ride has A/C or not. But if you're hauling around the "old lady", you know you'll have a lot less "discussions" (arguments) if you can keep the ride the most comfortable. I'm pretty sure the normal outside temp now is a lot hotter than it was when the rides were made, so A/C has kinda become "necessary".

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  18. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Donuts & Peelouts and Just Gary like this.
  19. Buy a 2nd car with AC, problem solved! You're happy, she's happy.

My '59 Ford has those monster vents that pass a lot of air, but on those 90* days it gets hot during the day. But it would be more taxing on the cooling and take up room under the hood... make everything else harder to work on.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It all boils down to keeping someone who has the opportunity to kill you in your sleep as happy as possible.

kmrumedy, metlmunchr, clunker and 8 others like this.
  21. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

AC
    End of story. End of complaints.
    End of sticking to your seats and sweaty backs/stains on your Upholstry.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

seb fontana likes this.
  22. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you enjoy her company and want her with you do it . if not don't[ all my cars have ac and heat]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Thank you for the iced tea I just spurted all over my keyboard when I read this! :D:D:D

And AC is nice, I don't have it but there have been a lot of times I wished that I did in humid Iowa.

24. Zippi

Zippi

LOL.....I'm diggin all the comments. I guess I could just get her one of those little fans that spray the water mist.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Say what????? Hahahaha, I don't think so. The hottest decade on record was the 1930's. And I'm talking about actual, real recorded temperatures, not "adjusted" temps by the AGW crowd.

https://notalotofpeopleknowthat.wordpress.com/2014/05/10/the-heat-waves-of-the-1930s/

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/07...r-worse-than-the-present-for-extreme-weather/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_North_American_heat_wave

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    brad2v, trad27, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  26. metalman

metalman

My wife informed me years ago she just couldn't get into car shows/ cruise nights, rarely goes with me so that is not an issue. Myself, care less so most the time no A/C in my hot rods. Hate the look of a compressor. The only exception was my 57 Ranchero but then it was a DD and I could somewhat hide the compressor down low under the generator on the y block. Cars I build strictly to flip usually have A/C, most buyers want it.
    All that said, can't offer the OP any advice, I'm not a marriage counselor!

osage orange likes this.
  27. Squirrel 21 years for me and we never errrrr ahhh, lol,had a fight.Bruce.

exterminator likes this.
  28. wheeler t.Espically if you have vent windows in the front and back like my 56 Chrysler.Bruce.

wheeler.t likes this.
  29. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wife complaining part 2. I get just as bitchy when it's hot but I wouldn't put AC in so she doesn't have to hear me bitch then bitch back at me because I'm bitching. I'll cut her short because I wanna be happy first so I'm putting it in. Or is that what they mean by keeping cool nerves ?

30. 56shoebox HUMIDITY SUCKS!!!!! I go thu at least 3 shirts a day here in the summer.Bruce.

31hotrodguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.