Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Broken Photobucket Image Links-New Terms of Service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClayMart, Jul 2, 2017.

1. If you use Photobucket as your free image hosting service you may want to check your image links posted here and on other sites as well. You'll likely find your images replaced with placeholder red X's and notices of upcoming new subscriber fees.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/indy-road-rockets-2017-world-of-wheels-pics.1051109/

At this point it appears that the free service and even the most basic subscription service will no longer allow third party links to your images. Third party linking is what allows you to post your pictures on the HAMB and other websites.

http://photobucket.com/pricing

Photobucket had gotten more clunky and cluttered over the last few years but I still used them for hosting images that I wanted to post on more than one site. Now it looks like it's time to either move on or pay the piper.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/354711/photobucket-breaks-image-links-across-the-internet

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I kicked the bucket and down loaded all my pic's back to computer, to much of a hassle.............................

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Greed.

loudbang likes this.
  4. lamaison

lamaison
    from Canada

Thousands of pictures in thousands of threads potentially gone. What a mess.

loudbang likes this.

5. Photobucket has been ASSHOLEBUCKET for quite some time.Ads, clickbait crap, doesn't even work 80& of the time!
    I have nearly 10,000 images, all of which will be downloaded and stored on my computer, two external drives, and a decent photo site.
    Who will be dumb enough to pay these thieves for third party hosting remains to be seen.THEY ARE THE WORST!!!

6. gatz

gatz

quit them years ago...

7. bedwards

bedwards

how would you redo the links to fix your postings? or better yet, how do i upload the pictures i have posted direct?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    hrm2k likes this.
  8. I never understood the concept or the idea of how it could be free.

clem and thommoina33 like this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can go to each post, determine what picture goes there and upload it. Knock the old link off..........pain in the ass....

10. bedwards

bedwards

yes, it is a pita, just got started with the first 2 pics now, will be all night

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Photosuckit ;) :D That's why I never used them. Load all of your pictures straight from your computer, no issues. :cool:

milwscruffy likes this.
  12. To a large degree, the free parts of the internet only seem free to us. It's a lot like free, over-the-air TV and radio broadcasts. Which means of course it's not really free, it's subsidized by advertising. At one time this was probably profitable for services like Photobucket, but I think anymore their advertising revenues are dwindling. Fewer people are spending time seeing or clicking on ads on Photobucket and advertisers are shifting their ad money to sites like Facebook or Twitter and hoping for better results.

I don't have a problem paying a reasonable fee to have my images hosted online. But I certainly have no intention of paying $300 or $400 a year to Photobucket. Maybe if I was maintaining a large business website and needed a rock-solid hosting service, but that's not the case for most of us.

I've begun to think that all the email servers should start charging a penny apiece for every email we send. It wouldn't cost most of us a dollar a month and probably cut down on the amount of spam email as well. That's win-win to me.

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have downloaded 5 of my albums back down to my computer, but haven't been able to do the rest yet. I figure it's because a lot of other folks are doing the same thing. Got my most important pics back though, some are about 10 years old or older and were on computers I no longer have. I figure after most everybody does this, photobucket will either change their policy or go belly up.

RockinRivi and loudbang like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Never used them....seemed like more work.

15. muldo

muldo

I've heard it said that if I'm on a free 'whatever' on the internet...then the product being bought and sold is, in fact, me...(meaning data mining, tailored ads...etc)

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RockinRivi and tfeverfred like this.
  16. I'm still down loading and it's just impossible to go bask to every post and upload new photos,some of us have been using PB for many years and have literately hundreds of photo's that have been affected. HRP

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only used photobucket for ebay and here. all the pics I had stored there I also had on my computer, so all I lost were smaller pics of what I already have, I bet I had over 2,000 HAMB car show pics on there that are gone now.:(

18. You should be able to download copies of your downsized images from PB if you think you might want to host them somewhere else, or upload them directly to the HAMB's servers. There's some instructions here...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/photobucket-is-not-holding-your-images-hostage.1068809/

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Luckily, I had a folder on my PC that I kept a copy of every photo I uploaded to PhotoBucket. I just deleted my pics on PB and walked away from them.

loudbang likes this.
  20. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still have all my photos on backup so it's not that big of a deal..............EXCEPT.........The entire Carrillo Roadster restoration here on the HAMB is now just words along with the Roland Leong 1964 A/D restoration here on the HAMB..........on another board is the complete build thread for my mid engine V8 Corvair.......hate for all that to be not usable with the pictures gone

loudbang likes this.
  21. I have spent a lot of time today trying to down load the last few albums but am not having any luck,probably has a lot to do with a mass exodus of users like rats on a sinking ship!:rolleyes: HRP

hrm2k likes this.
  22. AndersF

AndersF

340 dollars its a lot of money to share some pics.
    I dont mind to pay for a good service but this is a bit to much.
    But i payed for you guys.
    This give me a year to see what my longtime solution will be.
    The reason i use photobucket is i share pics on this and a swede hotrodforum.

loudbang and pat59 like this.
  23. Photobucket has implemented a weird reCaptcha that prevents you from down loading your entire album at once..I am now working with one at a time. HRP

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I sent Photobucket a nice "SCREW YOU" email. I'm waiting for their goons to show up. GET THA AMMO, MAMA! IT'S GONNA BE A LONG NIGHT!

loudbang, Chucky and hrm2k like this.
  25. Koz

Koz

How can you download direct from your computer to the HAMB?

26. gatz

gatz

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It ain't traditional in any sense of the word to be posting pic's via any of those fancy photo loading services.
    Surely our HAMB history and information is much more valuable and important to us than any money grabbing tech service.
    I complained about this when it first was offered and felt that storing images that would eventually be lost was not a good idea.
    Now when surfing and searching old threads it is hopeless at times to read a great tech article but be unable to see the pic's/images that were posted which helps make much sense of all the words.

After all, there is a saying that goings something like a picture tells a 1000 words...

28. loudbang

loudbang

Yea had to individually download over 500+ from shitbucket to my ot website. They can bite my ass took awhile but got them all on the computer. Now to replace all their stupid messages. :mad:

Now have gotten three emails from them crying for me to use the new service FAT CHANCE.

29. Never used photobucket, I am using google photos more & more.

This site I don't care about. However, there are other sites where photos used iin my businesses matter, so that's the direction I'm heading.

https://photos.google.com/