Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx for the back story / details, Pete. Gary

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

A possible OT question for the historians.

I saw that Danny Smith won a sprint feature in Ohio over the weekend. This is the forty third consecutive year he has won at least one race. Do any of you know of anyone, anywhere who can come close to matching this streak?

tractorguy and s55mercury66 like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Good to hear that Danny Smith picked up a feature at Atomic. He lives close by, in Chillicothe. Hopefully someone can answer your question, Speedwrench.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Maybe Mel Kenyon or modified driver Buzzie Reutimann ?

loudbang likes this.
  5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Possibly some guy named Steve Kinser?

loudbang and tractorguy like this.
  6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Car #5 is The Cunningham Fronty / Peters Offy Here's link to a series of 7 photos with descriptive text
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/9819193065/in/album-72157632911694050/

Jalopy Joker and loudbang like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

attachment-1.jpg From the Northern Ohio Cars thread on Jimmies Old Time Racing. Nelson Stacey's ride at Barberton, Ohio. 1949 accprding to the post.

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

attachment-4.jpg Dick Linder, from the same thread on Jimmies Old Time Racing.

wicarnut, cactus1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

attachment.jpg Bill Vukovich at Indy in Pete Salemi's Central Excavating Special. I apologize if these are repeat posts.

wicarnut, cactus1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  10. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I dont know how to post a link from my phone, but there is a thread here where a gent has found an early Trostle car, first posted on July 27th.

11. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes Speedwrench, that is the one. Thanks for posting it.

loudbang likes this.
  13. sschmid

sschmid

fun to see Doc Pruden mentioned-of Long Beach Signal Hill fame

loudbang likes this.
  14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Brought this home the other day. This is the 2nd super modified/sprint car Bob Trostle built for himself in 1965. It was supposedly destroyed. A friend of mine knew where it was and has ben trying to buy it for years. He was given the car to restore so others could enjoy it. We've spent time this week at the National Sprint Car Museum in Knoxville and measured Bob's #1 since it is the same in the rear. We thought we were headed to get the frame and a few body parts....we ended up with almost every part to the car!

One thing we are going to need help with is the front weight jacker. It's been apart and we need some pics of a complete one. It's in the last picture. Missing the mounts for it. Have all the linkages and pivots back to the interior.

We'll keep posting updates,

Thanks!

Attached Files:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^ Nice find! Look forward to the rebuild. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  16. tractorguy

tractorguy

As I mentioned when you first posted about your discovery.......this is an AWESOME find. It is just hard to believe that something with this much local/Iowa/Knoxville/Bob Trostle history was still "sitting in the weeds".I am fascinated by this era in super modified/sprint car history when super modifieds were quickly evolving........and sprint car guys were still "hiding" their sprint cars with a quick 1932 Ford body shell to still compete in both arenas such as at the Iowa State Fair. We will be watching for any and all build info that you can provide us on this forum.

On another note......really small world we live in......I made a very quick stop in Knoxville at the Museum last week. I bought a 1928 Chev rolling chassis and several 4cyl. engines at a farm sale in southern Iowa this spring. Finally decided to make the trip from Wisconsin to Iowa to retrieve everything. Since I am intrigued by the John Gerber Model T/Chev 4cyl. speedster, we decided to make a quick stop at the museum just to take a picture out in front of the museum with all my junk. We realized it was 5min. before closing time but we went in quickly just to see if we could glance at the John Gerber garage display. Needless to say, it was a GREAT visit. The staff was very welcoming and we had a great conversation about all things racing........including your great discovery and your visit to compare this car to the one in the museum !!! Great people.

Speedwrench, loudbang and BZNEIL like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0728.JPG
    I picked up this photo cut out pin this spring Bill Schindler in the Knuckle Head Harley powered midget. It has me wondering if the "Catfish' is the same car, or were the nose and tail changed? I do know the tail differed from all the photos when I had it. Bob DSCF0728.JPG

loudbang and Pufff like this.
  18. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF0722.JPG DSCF0725.JPG Found this Ira Vail 122 MILLER photo this weekend, one I'd never seen before. I've had all the paperwork related to the car since the 1970's along with this show card. Bob

Carter, wicarnut and loudbang like this.
  19. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I've got a fiberglass MOLD to make 60s style sprint car hoods. Does anyone have an interest in it? Bill

loudbang likes this.
  20. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Do you know what brand hoods they are? Who's hood design it is?
    SPark

21. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

You know, I don' have a clue. The style is 50's --60's classic round style. IT is a cowl with the sweep up to the steering wheel area, it runs forward to the sprint car nose. The mold is well built, heavy but not reinforced with wood braces. The gel coat surface (surface from the mold) has some issues of checking and blemishes but nothing to difficult to D.A. or hand sand out of a freshly cast new hood.. The mold could be shaped (on the outside surface) with a body grinder (to get rid of the glass cloth look) and could be used as a hood. I originally bought it for a restoration project, but that project got sold off. I can't use the piece and would like to GIVE it to some one who could use it. Bill

loudbang likes this.
  22. Wurger

Wurger

Got bit by the sprint bug but have some questions.... I have been searching diligently for info on engine regulations for the old race cars, but alas I keep coming up empt handed... I’ve seen 4 bangers and the Big hitter miller dual ohc set ups but nothing with 6’s or smaller 8’s. I have access to a rare 1931 Desoto CF drive train which is an 8 and both a 29 Essex’s engine and a 29 Hudson F head big six. The big 6 is tall and weights a ton so perhaps not the best option, to build a mopar sprint would be sooo bitchin but I can’t find any 8’s that small that were used....please help! Thanks all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. rob53chevy

rob53chevy

Hi would you be able to supply me with info on where I can get replacement brake pucks for the c-1625-a? Thanks

24. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Before the SBC pretty much any engine was used in Sprint car racing. Very few clubs had engine regs - if it goes, anything goes!

Wurger likes this.
  25. Wurger

Wurger

Thank you!!! That explain the lack of info about any regs

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Dawn Hebert

Dawn Hebert

Hello Flathead Tommy Do you Have anymore info On Ray Hebert I am Researching him as he is my great Uncle!
    Thank you
    Dawn Hebert

loudbang likes this.
  27. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Hi Dawn, your great uncle was quite a guy. he came from the Pawtucketville section of Lowell, Ma just a short distance from my house. He was killed before I was born, but I always heard stories about him, I was fascinated because I was a Motorhead from an early age. and yes I do have more info including the news story in the local paper and some additional photos. Give me a call at 978-649-7254. Tommy Caruso

loudbang likes this.
  28. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

. Ray Hebert
    IMG_0313.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  29. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Hi Dawn,

Just a word of warning: there were two Ray Heberts racing in the thirties, and it's easy to get confused when researching. One was a fellow originally from Sioux City in Iowa, who started racing motorcycles well before WW1. By 1915, he had switched to cars and was pretty well known throughout the Midwest in the late twenties and early thirties, as he raced virtually everywhere between Minnesota and Texas. He was not a prolific winner, but always placed well in the top ten or even top five. He also drove some famous cars for famous owners, such as Rudy Kruck, Kenny Larson, John Bagley or Joe Kinsey. He was killed in Illinois in 1933, by which time he was a resident of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. At least 95 % of all references to Ray Hebert will be about this guy, not your great uncle!

flatheadtommy and loudbang like this.
  30. Dawn Hebert

Dawn Hebert

Hi Tommy,
    Thank you for the info i will try to call you on my ride home from work tomorrow 10/5/17
    my number is 603-233-0196 My dad was Donald A. Hebert( the candyman) son of Maurice G. Hebert which was the brother to Raymond

flatheadtommy likes this.