Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rebirth of a Roadster?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You be right, Tuck. It's a TRADITIONAL trend. I say this in hopes of getting back in the good graces with Ryan.

2. av8

av8

I'd opt to keep the Model A frame, but that's just me. Should you choose Deuce rails (for that lovable pot-belly pig look) :D, I might be a customer for the A bones if they're not already spoken for. No matter, it was great to see the old rascal at the get-together. The fellow checking it out is Ron Cohee's dad, Ron Sr. [​IMG]

It shares DNA with my blue roadster for sure, and lights me up every time I see it.

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be as tasty as the original, with maturity and experience evidenced in the outcome.

Mike

3. catdad49

catdad49

Jay, I think all she needs is a little freshening, nothing too drastic. Use your acquired knowledge and bring her up to snuff. Reese (youngest grandson) and I just saw Cars 3, we both enjoyed it ( maybe not for the same reasons). Thanks

4. A Boner

A Boner

Ok, you need a list?

1. Freshen up mechanicals
    2. Move front wishbone mounts to inside of frame rails, instead of outside.
    3. Cutoff engine pipe just in front of where it turns up, and put a lake pipe cap on it. Then install a "Y" pipe off the engine (lake) pipe to continue the exhaust pipe to the muffler.
    4. Cover the seat in distressed leather.
    5. Done.....if you haven't scratched the itch yet, build another hot rod.....this one is done!

31hotrodguy likes this.
  5. Is that John Lassiter ?

6. My roadster has had a few rebirths over the years - and the latest (chronicled on here by Ryan) is the best yet - whole new look and feel, so much more fun to drive - but still ultimately the same car that brought me to the HAMB too - I say go for it - treat the roadster that has served you so well to some upgrades and don't be afraid to change it up! You can't do it wrong - its YOURS!

Jungle Jalopy and HEMI32 like this.
  7. Yes

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. autobilly

autobilly

I recently pulled my old ute off the road after eleven years of daily driving, to "freshen it up".
    It'll probably take five years or so!

9. I'm with AV8 on the frame. My current project is a 31 Model A coupe on 32 rails. Doing the job right is a challenge. The frame has to be pinched at the cowl and at the back they have to slip up behind the wheel wells. The subrail from the from the A pillar to the cowl and from the back of the cockpit to the tail end will have to be modified and much of it rebuilt. I cheated and used a Gary Maxwell (Blackboard Hot Rods) built frame and a Steadfast subrail kit. Even with that help fitting it all up seemed to drag on forever. While I would not compare the finished look to a Vietnamese pot belly pig the proportions, to my eye, are off a bit. The rails are a bit tall in my opinion. Back in the day a lot of rodders weren't particular about looks, they wanted speed. A Model A roadster was light, readily available and the 32 frame was V8 ready. I must say that I am very pleased with the way my coupe is coming along but if I had used a Model A frame I would be driving the wheels off the bitch right now.

All of that said, I suggest you go through the motor and fix what needs to be fixed. Then drive it for a while. If you still want a 32 frame then go for it.

31hotrodguy likes this.