Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Over priced cars...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wallass, Jun 30, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

I've seen some good buys on Craigslist. I was looking at a truck listed in Loveland, Co that was really working on me at $1400 but it's 9 hrs away. Ad went off, figure it would sell. Couple weeks later it's on the Dallas, Tx Craigslist for $6500. Damn, don't want it now!
    Personally I wish Craigslist charged for their ads, it would kill these ads where the seller is just "fishing" for a sucker. We have a guy near here in Edgewood that inherited his Dads hoard of probably 100 old cars, most really rough, lot of 4 doors, parts cars. He probably post 30 ads a week on CL, has for 2/3 years trying to sell them, all way overpriced. A while back there was a post asking "Edgewood hoarder, get real on your prices or stop cluttering our Craigslist". Guess I'm not the only one that finds it irritating.

2. gtokid70

gtokid70

Well up here in Canada we have kijiji same crap as CL ,lot's of over priced cars bargins few and far between but saying that i did score a 53 Plymouth Cranbrook yes it's a 4 door but a good running and driving car lot's of new parts solid solid body, lowered some customizing started paid 2500 bucks in reality this is all its worth so sometimes you can pay just what it's worth not the10 times what seller thinks Its worth

Sent from my LG-D852 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. SJ13

SJ13
    from PNW

Time & Talent costs money but people who drag a car out of the weeds , air the tires up & get it somewhat running think they're a reality show star , I think all these TV shows have made car prices go crazy of course if I was good looking with lots of hair & money I would think my cars were worth more too ...

4. It's supply and demand - Plain and simple.
    When these old cars were unwanted and you could find them in river beds and people's yards they were Cheap. no body wanted them and many got scrapped or just rotted away.
    But now more people want to join the hobby with all the cool kids and there are less of them around. As with Anything, when Demand outstrips Supply, prices go up. It's the way of the World. Now it's also true that other folks see some of these prices go up (and you can blame Auctions, High Profile cars and other shit all you want, but those spikes are temporary and the auctions prices are falling because of it) and jack up their junk too. But in the end it is the buyers who set the prices - if no one pays the asking prices, then the prices end up dropping.

5. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Well here's a project for someone if they are interested. I've been calling & bugging this guy about his 1950 Buick. He responded but never got back to me with the pictures I asked him for. Then the add died. Then yesterday he reposted the add again. I sent him another text asking if we could talk. He called me thismorning & we disgust the car over the phone & he told me he would send me more pics. This time he did. He said it's on his dads property & he wants it gone. Told me he'll sell to me for $600.00. After looking at the pictures it's pretty far gone & I dont want to deal with the hassle of shipping it out to CA, but if you live in Iowa or somewhere near by I'm sure he'll let you come get it. Not for the faint of heart.

1950 Buick Dynaflow special
    https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts/6199264766.html

Here's the pics he sent me
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Wallass and Bruce Fischer like this.
  6. tjd420 Rat rods are just people selling junk cars they cant get rid of. I think rat rods are a thing of the past now.Bruce.

GreaserJosh13 likes this.
  8. upspirate

upspirate

Let's hope so!:D

Duellym, 6inarow and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  9. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

I saw all the other cars in the background too. Hopefully someone on here will go check these things out.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Yep, too far gone. Wouldn't be worth $6 to me.

Gary

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easy solution: tell them what you're willing to pay and leave your phone number. Tell them your offer stands unless you buy something else before they accept it, and that your offer is contingent on the car remaining in the same condition as when you saw it. Then walk away and keep looking.

Wallass likes this.
  12. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Do,you want "chum" or live bait?
    For those that don't fish........

Chum- Rotten, ruined,spoiled, smelly stuff to attract bottom feeders
    Live bait- living, vibrant,organisms capable of moving by their own power to attract top apex predators
    Oddly enough chum will also attract the apex predator. Maybe because they all started off as bottom feeders.
    The thing is Chum is being sold at live bait price.

For Sale......
    4 1946 Ford Coupes
    May be able to make one car....good frames need floor work some surface rust on all , no glass, parts of seat frames....many parts some trim....one seized engine available these are projects
    $ 7500 firm
    The above is Chum....

For Sale
    1948 Ford Tudor sedan flathead V8 engine rebuilt 2012...body and interior professionally done in the 1990s garage kept since.....new brakes.....decent Coker tires with plenty of life.....Runs and drives great....
    $10000 or best offer
    The above is Live Bait...

There is no way.....no possible way a mere investment of $2500 bucks could turn that pile of rusty 46 parts into what the 48 sedan already is.

Dont buy Chum......especially at live bait prices.....
    Adds based on a true story.

rhtfo, Wallass, clunker and 5 others like this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

How about this ad currently here on the HAMB? Three '59 Caddy convertibles with the restoration started but all still need a LOT of work. The price for all three is $195k! I know they're supposed to be worth $100k each when done but that seems like a lot of money considering what still needs to be done. What do you guys think?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-coupe-de-ville-convertibles-3-total.1066861/

Wallass likes this.
  14. Gman0046

Gman0046

195K? YGBSM! Thats not over priced its highway robbery.

Gary

15. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've seen plenty of fairly priced projects on HAMB in last 6months, was about to make an offer on one, for a father son project when an old friend decided to sell us one of his instead.

16. RJ12Y

RJ12Y

The only buyer that would even consider some of these really, really rough vehicles are people who have no idea how much time and money it takes to make not a beauty, just a driver out of one. You're familiar with the "PI" rule? PI as is in 3.14?

17. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Those are definitely live bait, albeit expensive live bait.

65 grand for a Cadilllac basket case is a little steep . You can find the same car with a fairly mature pine growing out where the transmission hump was, at the local trailer park for a little less. Correct?
    If the work was done correctly those prices may not be as far fetched. Good work costs money and the guy is probably way under them.

Would I pay that....Maybe if I had some bubbling crude seeping out of briar patch. Oil that is. Texas Tea. The kin folks said.......well I'll spare you.

I saw a 65 F100 that a shop had over 150 grand in and this was a stock recreation....not restoration. I did not get it at the time.
    That truck was not a mere restoration, it was made into what the Ford designer imagined a 65 Ford F100 should be and not the mass produced junk Ford slung out. It was perfect in every way. That's what the owner was willing to pay.
    So be it.
    There is a lot of bitching about Barrett Jackson. The truth is those 100k cars may have cost 90, 95 maybe even 110k to build. That kind of work costs money.
    That kind of work is above my socio economic station in life. I accept that that so I can find joy in knowing these creations exist.
    I can also be happy to work with what I can work with.
    No need for sour grapes. What purpose does it serve?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Hnstray likes this.
  18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I look at it from a different perspective. The following is not directed to the OP,it's a general statement.
    Get off the computer and actually get out there and FIND what you want.
    I see it here and on social media sites." I cant find a decent project and have searched online everywhere"
    How lazy have we grown.How dependent upon technology rather than effort we have become.
    My Avatar and the 1963 Grand Prix I started a thread on were not advertised.The truck wasn't even visible from the gravel road to the farm it sat on. I just bought 2 1957 Chevies that were not advertised but were available after I stopped and asked about them. Both were 'behind the barn' cars where I caught a glimpse of a rear fender.
    It isn't rocket science. The cars are sitting everywhere IF you get out and look. Spend a tank of gas and a few hours away from the home turf.My Grand Prix sat in plain sight of anyone driving by for years.The locals all swore it couldn't be bought and stopped asking the owner years ago. I asked and I got it.Every small town has cars in and around that can be bought as they become invisible to those living there.
    Are there a lot of 1930's coupes or '40 Fords sitting in plain sight? Of course not. Be realistic. There are plenty of 50's-60's cars sitting.
    If all a person does is search the internet they are going to find cars being flipped by guys who did the WORK of going out and finding them.
    End of minor rant.

5window, Baumi, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  19. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I'll bite.
    Pray tell, how just how is this ruining your experience? I just do not see how this is possible that something as dumb as a RR owned by "ding" "ding" someone else is ruining your personal experience.
    If my neighbor drove a clown car....So What...room for whole family.
    If some grinning 14 year old that normally would never give you the time of day, comes up to you and says " Nice Rat Rod." Smile back and say "Thanks buddy, I'm glad you like my hot rod."

clunker, jackalope, 5window and 3 others like this.
  20. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Case in point.....
    My son's 1965 F100....
    A hood led me to this truck. I told a buddy as I was leaving a Boy Scout event that we were meeting a guy that had a free hood for a 64. The hood was off a restored truck that flew open. I thought I might could use it. Any how my buddy knew where a 65 was that could be had for $ 750.
    A few months later I followed up on it and bought it. I could have got it for the $750 if I tried but I gave the fellow $1000 for it after he said he would take $900 because......well it was a good truck. A 65 swb styleside!
    New gas tank and that joker runs like a top. Instead of this dull gray and rust.....it was light blue. There was still shiny paint under the rust stains.....It came back.
    I never would have found it sitting on my tail.

Bruce Fischer and Hnstray like this.
  21. Toqwik

Toqwik

Like said before, with C-list you have to be ready at any minute to go and find a deal. My current project was found the old way, cruising different streets on my way to and from work. I found it and the lady was on the swing on the front porch. I asked if it was for sale and she said yes. I about fell out of my truck because no one ever says yes round here. It took me almost a year to get it but the price dropped drastically from the first price because of title issues. Get in you DD and drive, they are still there. Never thought I would find something like this in the neighborhood I was in. Go find them.

22. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of deals in Houston...called on a 50 Plymouth..went to see it.....picked this one up , hot rod shop closing its doors...owner sold the property..everything was bargain priced...bought the S10 also..it had a roller cammed 350 sitting in it...now the chopped 52 is on said s10 chassis..Here it is three days work and I have a chopped 52 under 3 grand ..... IMG_0286.JPG IMG_0264.JPG IMG_0303.JPG

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    jackalope, kmrumedy and Bruce Fischer like this.
  23. tjd420

tjd420

Not trying to pick a fight, but I've seen the price of "parts cars" and associated parts skyrocket due to the Advent of the rr. BTW, I've seen soooo many cars RUINED! For the sake of being a douchebag that wants to have an extreme ride, with no class or talent, just to get attention. Fins off a Chrysler on a truck??? You gotta be shittin me!! The whole rr phase pisses me off so freaking much!

Sent from my XT1056 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bruce Fischer and 1956 F100 like this.
  24. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

It's the same as it's ever been. If you want the good deals you have to hunt them out. The cars that used to be given away because they were undesirable are now considered classics by somebody. Just because I keep my eyes on on my regular travels, I know where there are probably 40-50 cars within a 10 mile radius of my home. I watch CL regularly, it's the same old junk all the time but I check it daily anyway. Once in a while something pops up I will buy. I list stuff now and then to no response, at reasonable prices. Everybody is looking for the killer deal.

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

I bought my Morris Minor off Craigslist last summer for a grand . Rust free straight car. Had a 39 Ford back fender in the back seat that I sold for $ 200.00 and sold off the stock parts I was not going to use for another $ 300.00 . I have had good luck buying and selling using racingjunk.
    Had to drive from Florida to South Carolina to get it. Met HotRod Primer there. It was his sick friend that was selling it. 1960  morris minor.png

26. Lebowski.HEY I used to live in the next town up from there.Mount Dora.Fl. But I would pass on the caddies.Bruce.

27. Toqwik.When I drove truck all over in Flordia that's how I found all my old cars. Bruce.

28. Toqwik.I know what you are talking about not selling in Flordia.I was canoeing down a canal one day and fishing and saw about a think it was a 1956 Caddy.It was covered it Spanish moss and mold. I asked the owner if he wanted to sell it he said no. So there it sat rusting away in to the ground. I just don't get some people???Bruce.

29. If you just want a car, meaing any car, they are available everywhere for every price range but if you want a specific car it is actually much easier to set a price point. I had not bought a project in 10 years until recently and the prices seem to not have gone up too much. We got a 56 pontiac 2dr wagon 10 years ago, running and kinda driving but needing a full rebuild, kinda rusty but not so messed up you could not use as is cost us $5000 on ebay and 700 to ship. This is the exact car my wife wanted tri-5 Pontiac 2dr wagon. Research said done ones were in the $40K range, not having that much to spend, we got it. Probably paid $1000 too much at the time but now try to find one for that price that is a "driver" and done ones are $65k now. Last year I fulfilled the dream of getting and 40 Ford coupe. $6000 delivered off HAMB classifieds. Rusty car with no floors needing full resto. Mostly complete but disassembled with two frames one with Chassis Engineering upgrades. It included extensive sheet metal replacement parts that retailed at over $1500. It was somewhat local, three hours away. This seems to be roughly the going rate for one of these in this shape, without the replacement metal and extras. Barn fresh "drivers" are going for $14-17K with old street rods selling for $25-30 and nice ones for way more.

I try not to look any more, but have a feeling that any project car under $5000 is an undesirable model or a desirable one that is too far gone.

Pick "the" car, price it out in the condition you are looking for and wait with cash in hand.

IMG_1967.JPG IMG_9469.JPG

30. Craigs list is good but mostly sucks. I have a car wanted add there , I get a responce and ask for location, price and pics. He replies he has 2 cars ,package deal. Still cant get a location, price or pics. Do these guys need a pen pal that bad or what.

Fitty Toomuch likes this.