Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tell me about this 3 speed toploader...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sutton Speed, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Can anyone tell me about this 3 speed toploader? What did they come in? Any good? Worth anything? Working on a deal for a Caddilac 331 motor and it includes an adapter and this trans. Thanks guys!

IMG_1764.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

fiftyv8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. savannahDan

savannahDan

looks like the ones ford used in the mid-late 60's in mustangs etc. Nothing special about it, decent trans though.

LOU WELLS and JB_roadrage like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Mid 60's Ford..They came in a couple different ratios..Big and small block; had moderate strength..

JB_roadrage likes this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

GM used this Ford design as well for high horse power applications in Pontiac and possibly even Chevy.
    The bottom line is the 3.03 top loader is likely the best 3 speed manual ever made.

As good as they are, they can be found very cheap.

JB_roadrage and scrap metal 48 like this.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Couldn't a guy put a better four speed in its place on the same adapter?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 3.03 Toploader is a great transmission, I had one in an A-code 289 Mustang and it can take a beating. The 2.77 is for six cylinder cars.
    3sp.png

fiftyv8 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  7. That's a small-block 3-speed out of a early Mustang (you can tell by the long pilot bearing shaft). Good trans, not as strong as the big-block version, but behind a moderate-size motor will do fine...

8. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

Awesome... Thanks for the info guys!

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Two good things about that trans is, you can install a Jeep T-150 shift top, and they are synchro in first gear. After removing the shift forks, we milled down the bosses on the side of the case for clearance, and installed cup type soft plugs in the holes. IMG_0672.JPG

10. oj

oj

That just blows me away, how on earth did you ever come up with that one Marty?

biggeorge likes this.
  11. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

I remember seeing someone do this with a 4 speed toploader before. Is anyone reproducing those shift tops or are they relatively easy to come by? Thanks so much for the input.

12. MrMike

MrMike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeep shifter top bolts right on.

13. 51box

51box
    from MA

These top loaders are one of the strongest factory offered transmissions. I also did a jeep shifter but on a Dearborn trans. IMG_1332.JPG

biggeorge and fiftyv8 like this.
  14. 51box

51box
    from MA

Search eBay & c-list for jeep T-150 that is the transmission these shift towers came on.

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

There was an article on the swap back in the 80's, I think Frank Oddo wrote, and was followed up with the four speed top loader, and yes the shifter is hard to come by as the Jeep guys feel they are necessary to drive their jeeps up and down mountains,,,,,

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The 3 speed tops can be found at a reasonable price, the 4 speed units are rare and spendy. On bell housings such as this Offenhauser adapter to a Red Ram Dodge to fit the 49-64 Ford transmission, I usually remove the outside upper set of holes. Ford was smart to include both bolt patterns to the later transmissions, to fit a wide range of applications. And yes, Frank Oddo did write that article. P1010044.JPG

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. The 4 speed shifter version is called a T-170, found in mid-80s Jeeps.
    I have the 3 speed version, and utilized the Ford pickup tail shaft for a very compact, husky unit at 1/4 the cost
    of the 4 speed.

18. deucemac

deucemac

I first noticed the Jeep top cover when I worked as mechanic for the Border Patrol. We had an entire fleet of Cherokees from the factory equipped with Ford 303 transmissions and a top shifter instead of the Ford side rail shift mechanism. When it came time to build my roadster I wanted a full syncro 3 speed Ford Trans with overdrive that I could convert to the Jeep top cover so I could have the early look in the cockpit but modern transmission. It turns our that Ford never made a full syncro 3 speed with an overdrive. However, AMC used the Ford trans in more than Jeep. From '75-'77, the ford 3 speed was offered with an overdrive in Pacers, Hornets, and Gremlins. Since Ford had no overdrive for it, AMC went to Laycock in England and they built a type J unit to fit. Laycock went belly up and Gearvendors bought them out. So, now I have a full syncro 3 speed with electric overdrive that looks old time, shifts great and has overdrive at the flick of a switch. And, all of it is strong enough to live happily behind my hemi motor. Almost nervana!

19. Actually, Ford did build a full-sync 3 speed with OD. In the late 70s into the 80s Ford offered a re-tasked toploader four speed with third gear converted to OD as a stop-gap. Looks just like the four speed, except it has a bulge on the passenger side of the case to clear the OD gear. A later version had internal linkage and an aluminum case (the SROD), found in light-duty applications. A common issue with both was neither would tolerate more than moderate loading in OD as that would quickly wear out the cluster gear shaft/bearings.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  20. jdownunder

jdownunder

Great thread thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

21. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

image.jpg My 3 speed has the Jeep shifter and I converted it to go closed drive to a model A torque tube ,,shortened the output shaft ,made a support adaptor for the clamshell ,,,a good transmission ,,

fiftyv8, CoolYourJets and 36 ROKIT like this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Believe it or not.....but it is possible to use a 1939 to 1952 car and F-1 3 speed shift top. It requires a homemade adapter plate but it has been done and it works. There is an old thread about it. So that is one more check for the 3.03's versatility.

63-64 F Series 3.03s came factory behind Y blocks and 223s. These have the 1939 sized input spline but no tail mount.

23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the earlier Ford transmission (with the straight bottom side cover) is a completely different animal with more in common with the pre-war and immediate post-war boxes. And, they are not very strong.

CoolYourJets likes this.
  24. 31pickemup

31pickemup

Can the torque tube adapter be done to the 4-speed units as well? And if so who sells them?

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Great thread and nice to see some informative pic's.
    Was there a 3 speed Top Loader with an O/D setup as well???

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  26. deadbeat

deadbeat

I did the same only I used a early Ford shifter to sit on top. Cut off the shift forks and relocated them to suit the later 3 speed gear sack. Made a spacer plate between gearbox and the shifter. Pluged up the holes with small frost plugs. Works fine but it leaks oil through the base plate. Made need a breather

27. The small version has a tag on the side RAN letters. The heaver tougher version has RAT on the tag. You can find the heavy trans in those FE powered pickup trucks. The one pictured is the mustang version. And yes the gear set is the same as the jeeps.