Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rims and tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WP38, Jun 26, 2017.

1. WP38

WP38

Looking for some ideas. Ford 16 inch off a explorer on on it. IMG_2902.jpg IMG_2904.jpg IMG_2903.jpg IMG_2862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Anything would be a step up.

Muttley and iwanaflattie like this.
  4. WP38

WP38

Looking for ideas and pics. Your comments aren’t helpful or adding anything to this post except wasting people’s and my time Stating the obvious.
    Regards

seabeecmc and tubman like this.

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Most basic would be a coat of silver-grey paint and some faux knock-off hubs. That'll give you a sort of '50s Jaguar/Alfa-Romeo vibe.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. WP38

WP38

Thank you

7. IMG_0006.JPG Like the black, good starting point anyway. Let's the rest of the truck do the talking, IMHO. I'm assuming you've looked through the Wheel Vintiques catalogue? I could look at that site for hours.

Saw this photo on a Chevy 3100 Facebook page I think this might look nice on your truck ( even if the lowering isn't your style).

big duece likes this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here is a pic of a friend of mines Studebaker with Moon disks. They fit the period of the truck . hrdp-1002-01-1949-studebaker-truck-.jpg

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It seems you obviously took that in the wrong way. What I'm saying is, get a bunch of catalogs and use them to make your decision. Considering what you have going, anything else would be a step up. Within reason. Or, look at some of the trucks on this site. Like paint, it's a personal choice that only you can make. Express yourself through your ride, man.

When I choose my wheels, I look at cars similar to mine and go from there. I have yet to ask someone else what would look right on my car. Although suggestions are appreciated. When I plan out my car, I'm not trying to please the masses. I could really give a shit what they think. It's MY car in the end. Just like I don't ask whether to wear briefs or boxers in the morning. It's a personal choice.

As for wasting time.... we're sitting in front of a damn computer on a forum site, instead of being in the garage. THAT'S the biggest waste of time ever invented.

studog51, Juggler and travis kennedy like this.
  10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are like artillery wheels, put a pin stripe or two around the ridge there and use spider caps.

11. Grab a set of 15" steels and then you can get alot more cap options. Should be able to snag a set for real cheap off CL hen put some tri-bars or something like that on em.

12. WP38

WP38

thanks good idea. less expensive the better.

13. That's not a bad place to jump off from.
    The tire sits pretty damn good right there. The important thing is the offset in those exploder wheels fit your truck, the track width and the fenders. Changing to a wheel without that deep offset is going to cause you problems.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great stance on your truck..... sits right... If you do go with a moon type disc ..please use a screw on disc.. and not a snap style.....

15. Personally, I see nothing grossly WRONG with those wheels. I agree with 31Vicky in that you need to be careful and pay attention to the wheel offsets of future potential choices. I'd keep them, but dress them up a bit. A little pocket change could postpone investing in new rolling mass, maybe even eliminate it completely! If they were mine, I would clean them up well and shoot them with a good hard paint. I've had good luck with VHT Frame Epoxy (black/purple can) aerosol, but DupliColor has wheel-specific paint that I would not be scared to use. After that, I would pinstripe the inner lip in a contrasting color of your choice, then install chrome bullet lugs with bullet center caps, or simple spider caps and call it done!!

16. Ive got a set of steels and some very nice polara tri-bar caps for sale if interested

17. WP38

WP38

Thanks for the offer, Too far away. cheers

18. greg

greg

I have a set of caps off a 1960 Lincoln premiere that are 16 inch if you're interested send me a PM.

Sent from my SM-G925V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. jroberts

jroberts

I like the wheels you have on the truck now. Like was said earlier a pin stripe would dress them up. Maybe baby moons or chrome capped lug nuts.

studog51 likes this.