Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 edsel ranger build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmnm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I'm not painting it anytime soon, I wanted to get it primed so I could see all the imperfections when I do the body work. So it will be in primer a while

~Hotrodmnm

2. Paint... highly overrated... but primer is porous to the elements so you have to deal with that. Epoxy primers hold up pretty well if the car is largely garaged.

3. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Thanks for the tip! Will definetly keep that in mind! I'm hoping I won't have the primer on it too long, but I guess we will see how things go

~Hotrodmnm

4. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I wasnt sure on the white and black at first but now the trim is on it did transform the car,
    I was considering doing mine a darker cream / black that looks real classy or even petal yellow/black
    downloaded loads of photos for comparison but narrowed it down to a few
    Dont rush the paint its a lot of expense if you get it wrong
    Cheers
    Dave

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Instead of letting it sit in primer, shoot a sealer on it. You can get a Finish 1 sealer from your NAPA paint store, get the 2k version so its top coat safe. comes in 7 shades from white to black, has a bit of a shine to it, kinda satin. I ran my truck in it for 2 years as I worked. A gallon didn't cost too much.

6. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Thanks for the tip! I will definetly look in to it!

~Hotrodmnm

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a guy in San Antonio, TX who is an Edsel guru. His name is Verne Kappauf. At one time, he owned 20 some odd Edsels and Fords '57 thru '59. His number is 210-392-6235. If all else fails, those Edsel rearends are the same width as '57-'59 Ford sedans, stationwagons, and rancheros. Every mother's son used this setup since '57. Mine fit perfectly under my '34 Ford, '37 Ford, '40 Ford, and my current Deuce roadster. No narrowing plus they are plenty strong plus the ratios are unlimited and maybe still plentiful.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I left the phone number of an Edsel guru with Hotrodmnm who lives in San Antonio. He had lots of stuff years ago.

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is great, Young Lady. You are officially a HotRodChick !

Hotrodmnm likes this.
  10. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

I would be interested in the details of the San Antonio guy as I have a friend who lives there who could pay and sort postage on parts for me to the UK

11. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG]
    Does anyone have a drivers side taillight bezel? Mine is broken, let me know! Thanks!!

~Hotrodmnm

12. Last edited: May 6, 2017
    loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  13. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

I can help you out. Message me...

loudbang likes this.
  14. I have a few searches set up on eBay and a lot of saved sellers and I always have an eye peeled for better trim, etc. I just scored 2 nice NOS horn rings for a ridiculous price.

15. bedwards

bedwards

loudbang likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

Any 57, 58, or 59 ford car radio should fit in the 59 Edsel dash, all 3 years have a different dial indicator color but all are the same chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Just an update: I've been busy with school lately, finals are killing me. But I was able to get out there yesterday and get more sanding done. Got a full-time job, so I will have the money to invest in her. But the same amount of time. Also thanks for all your support and help so far! It is all much appreciated!

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  18. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Keep at it girl your Dad must be real proud of you not many teenagers have got the get up and go like you , most are quite content in their rooms on X boxes and the like and think its their parents right to provide for them
    Again Well Done
    :)

19. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Posts like this give me hope for the future. Good luck with your project.

20. There are a bunch of Esdel and '59 Ford owners here, so help is around.

loudbang likes this.
  21. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Yes i am very proud of her, and enjoy all the time spent with her in the shop. We have quite a few cars in the works and she is always there helping and learning. Its amazing what she knows how to do at her age.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Also try http://www.car-part.com/
    You can search national, regional, state, city. I've searched as far back as 1939 and found them there.

Good luck with the project.

23. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

So just an update. I know I've been slow and not posting much. But work has got me busy but it's definetly payed off. I got the shell adapters, I've been working on sanding the other side. I've also ordered points, condensers, and a carb kit! Hoping to get back on it soon!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

~Hotrodmnm

Maniut, loudbang and brEad like this.
  24. LOOKING good Bob!!!!Bruce.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Ck with Jeff Walker. He might be able to help you. His father was officially the Edsel King of the US and of Europe too. I forget but he owned somewhere in the hundreds of Edsels !! They might have sold some by now. Good luck, Wes

Hotrodmnm and loudbang like this.
  26. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Rebuilt the carb today!! Got that cleaned together and back on! Now I just need to get some fuel line because for only knows how old the hose on it is.

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  27. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Painted the air clean the other day as well!!

Been working on the fender but I need to get a shrinking disc. Pictures to come!!

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  28. bedwards

bedwards

Are you going back with factory colors? That looks right on the air cleaner.

29. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I am for now, down the road I want to get a chrome air cleaner and probably chrome valve covers but I haven't done that yet, thus is going to just be temporary until I get those and that will probably last resort.

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

I think that is a replacement carb not the stock one. But who cares as long as it runs good. :)